Hopper turning on TV in middle of night

I would have it under TV settings myself... (or maybe in both places) :)
But it is a remote function. If anything it could have its own tile under Settings. But then if you did that you could say just about every setting should have its own tile and then Settings would be pages and pages. :)

Considering it's a remote function where else would it be?

It is not a remote setting. How ever did you get that idea? It is a Power setting.
I would have it under TV settings myself... (or maybe in both places) :)

Yes; putting it in various menus would be very helpful. Especially if it's in the Power Setting menu!

Reactions: Tony S
It is not a remote setting. How ever did you get that idea? It is a Power setting.

I press the remote power button, with CEC enabled, extra devices turn on and off and inputs are adjusted. The Power button is on the receiver itself. But I can see where you are coming from. :)

Yes; putting it in various menus would be very helpful. Especially if it's in the Power Setting menu!

Well, to be fair, HDMI-CEC does more than power. Also volume, input switching, and other features, which are probably more generally associated with "controls" on the STB/TV/etc., so maybe Remotes is the most correct place to put it after all?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Which is activated by the remote?

OK, inquiring minds want to know. What happens if you turn on the H3 via the front panel?

front-hopper3.png

• Haha
OK, inquiring minds want to know. What happens if you turn on the H3 via the front panel?

front-hopper3.png
Of course it would turn the receiver on. If CEC is enabled then other devices will also turn on. Now, let me ask, how many people activate their receivers by using that red button instead of the remote. Most people associate the the power button as being on their remotes because that is how most people turn their equipment on.

Of course it would turn the receiver on. If CEC is enabled then other devices will also turn on.

I rest my case. :D
Most people associate the the power button as being on their remotes because that is how most people turn their equipment on.

Probably about the same number of people as those who point at their monitors and call it a computer. :crying That doesn't mean other people like you or I have to do the same.

Do you have HDMI-CEC enabled on your Hopper? If so, the Hopper could be telling the TV/Stereo to turn on when it does an update and restarts.

I don’t see why the nightly update/reboot of the Hopper3 would trigger HDMI-CEC to turn on the TV.
1) You said it only happens once or twice a month and yet the Hopper3 reboot happens nightly.
2) I have HDMI-CEC enabled on both of my Hopper3 receivers and the nightly reboot does not turn on either of my two Sony TV’s.
3) I have noticed that Dish Anywhere can trigger my TV to come on in certain cases.

I find HDMI-CEC to be quite useful since my Hopper3, Apple TV, Roku, Magnavox DVR, and PS3 all can control my TV. Anyway that is my experience using HDMI-CEC.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
I can give you a scenario where this happens or can happen if HDMI-CEC is enabled. Not just with a Hopper. (I don't have a Hopper)

If you have changed inputs on the TV to other than where the DISH Receiver is and left it there, when the Receiver turns on after the update it triggers an input change to that receiver and the CEC is thinking you have turned on the Receiver to watch it.

If you have changed inputs on the TV to other than where the DISH Receiver is and left it there, when the Receiver turns on after the update it triggers an input change to that receiver and the CEC is thinking you have turned on the Receiver to watch it.

Now that makes sense.

I don’t see why the nightly update/reboot of the Hopper3 would trigger HDMI-CEC to turn on the TV.
1) You said it only happens once or twice a month and yet the Hopper3 reboot happens nightly.
2) I have HDMI-CEC enabled on both of my Hopper3 receivers and the nightly reboot does not turn on either of my two Sony TV’s.
3) I have noticed that Dish Anywhere can trigger my TV to come on in certain cases.

I find HDMI-CEC to be quite useful since my Hopper3, Apple TV, Roku, Magnavox DVR, and PS3 all can control my TV. Anyway that is my experience using HDMI-CEC.

TBH, that was the only thing I could think of, given the time of day it was happening, but I think Tampa8 probably got it right.