Hopper Upgrade to Hopper with Sling

mej0707

Original poster
Jan 18, 2015
Florida
I have an older Hopper without slingbox. I have had the box for approx 2-3 years. I would like to upgrade to the new Hopper when I move, but I don't want to lose all of my recordings. Can I copy off my recordings to an external HD, then when I get the new Hopper, attach the drive and then copy to the new device?

Or, I have another Hopper with Sling on the same network, is there a way to copy to that device?

Bottom line, I don't want to lose what is recorded. What suggestions does the group have? I can move with the current setup, 2 Hoppers, 3 Joey's. But the issue is that my latest recordings are on the non Sling Hopper and when I go online, I am not able to view those recordings on my mobile device, nor set up recordings if I want to remotely.

Thanks!

Copy all recordings you want to keep to EHD, backup your timers to the remote, swap receivers, restore timers, plug EHD into new receiver and play away.

I did this last month - $15 shipping and 2 yr commitment.

When you say move out, will you be opening a new account, or will this be the same account? If same account, refer to post above. If new account, then you cannot transfer data to the new equipment.

Chad
If you are moving, why would a new account start?
If I was moving, I certainly wouldn't close out my current account unless I knew Dish for some reason wasn't obtainable.

Just curious why would someone whom has a current account, and then moves, would close out his current account and open a new one?

It sounded like moving out of parents house or worm thing of that nature. Like it was their account, and he was starting out on his own and wanted to take the recordings. That was why I presented both solutions. Just seemed a little ambiguous to me. That was all. If just moving then starting up a new account doesn't make sense.

It sounded like moving out of parents house or worm thing of that nature. Like it was their account, and he was starting out on his own and wanted to take the recordings. That was why I presented both solutions. Just seemed a little ambiguous to me. That was all. If just moving then starting up a new account doesn't make sense.
I didn't take that at all from his post.

Sounded like a normal move with a legit upgrade question when taking advantage of a Dish movers upgrade.

Chad, you're seeing things!:biggrin

Reactions: Troch77
Copy all recordings you want to keep to EHD, backup your timers to the remote, swap receivers, restore timers, plug EHD into new receiver and play away.

I did this last month - $15 shipping and 2 yr commitment.
Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, I am moving, not getting a new account ;) Taking everything with me.

For the EHD, which one do you suggest? I just need 2TB max. Also, if I copy what is on my current Hopper DVR to the EHD, can I move those recordings back to the new Hopper? Or will they need to stay on EHD? Last question, how many EHD can I connect to the Hopper?

Thanks.

Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, I am moving, not getting a new account ;) Taking everything with me.

For the EHD, which one do you suggest? I just need 2TB max. Also, if I copy what is on my current Hopper DVR to the EHD, can I move those recordings back to the new Hopper? Or will they need to stay on EHD? Last question, how many EHD can I connect to the Hopper?

Thanks.

My preference and that of most folks here is Western Digital. Be sure to get a self powered drive.
Q1. Yes you can move them back.
Q2. They can stay on the EHD if desired and be played from there.
Q3. Two at time can be seen by the Hopper. You can have more but you have to swap them in and out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)