Hopper upgrade

skins

Original poster
Oct 27, 2020
NY
I have old equipment (more than 10 years) and I don't record programs. I am upgrading my TV's to 4K. What is the advantage to upgrading to Hopper (besides the price increase) and how many do I need to do 3 rooms . Right now I have two receivers and my main one in the living room works the TV in my bedroom but no HD in the bedroom. Can anyone tell me the advantage or disadvantage of upgrading?

Thanks
Skins

Well, for a Hopper3 you will pay a $15 per month DVR fee.

The first Hopper 3 has no access fee, but a second Hopper would have a $15 access fee.

Joeys have a $7 access fee each.

If you want 4K Joeys at each additional 4K TV, there would probably be a $50 up front charge for each one of them then the $7 per month access fee.

The Hopper does 4K and can to 4K+HDR, but 4K Joeys just do plain 4K, no HDR.

Currently Dish is only doing 4K, not 4K HDR on channel 540-1.

Channel 540-2 is a 4K HDR channel but has had no programming since maybe the 2020 Super Bowl maybe even back to the Olympics. Dish also has some 4K VOD, but I don't use VOD, others will have to elaborate on that.

HD locals via satellite are an extra $12 on Dish but you can buy a dual tuner USB OTA tuner from AirTV for $29.99ish and use that for two channels of OTA if that $12/month is a deal breaker.

I am subscriber to AT200 with satellite locals, one H3, and one Joey 3.0 and my bill is about $120 per month (I get a bit of a discount on my programming with my price lock offer). There are also about $8 in various taxes and government fees on my bill in that $120.

For long time customers there also may be a customer loyalty discount.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Channels 540-01 and -02 were added after the Winter Olympics in February, 2018 which were in 4K HDR on Channel 540. First, the 4K-540-01 was added and then later the 4K HDR-540-02 was added. There has never been any programming on 540-02. The 2020 Super Bowl was presented in 4K only on channel 540-01. There are some PPV and VOD programs available in 4K but not HDR.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Unless you really need 4k Joey's just get two Joey's. The 4k Joey's have one time charge of $50.00 each. The standard Joey 3 recieves everything except 4K.

Reactions: Bobby
I have old equipment (more than 10 years) and I don't record programs. I am upgrading my TV's to 4K. What is the advantage to upgrading to Hopper (besides the price increase) and how many do I need to do 3 rooms . Right now I have two receivers and my main one in the living room works the TV in my bedroom but no HD in the bedroom. Can anyone tell me the advantage or disadvantage of upgrading?
If you really don't want the DVR fee, but still want the 4K programming, then there is a little-known code that Dish can place on your account to disable the DVR functionality and remove that fee. A regular CSR may not be able to apply this code to your account, but if you call this number and ask for the "disable DVR" code, they should be able to take care of that for you: 1-888-580-6656
(That number usually handles commercial accounts, but they were also able to help me with my residential account.)
After this code is applied to the account, the receiver model listed on the Diagnostics screen changes, adding a D at the end of the Model. My Hopper Duo was listed as a Hopper Duo D. So, a Hopper 3 with this code would be a Hopper 3D. (I'll bet you didn't know that Dish had any "3D" receivers. :biggrin )

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrell
I feel your pain. I just upgraded to a Hopper 3 with OTA antenna and 2 Joeys. Previously had VIP612 and 2 other receivers. This being just my third day, my emotions have gone from bewilderment to exhilaration.

The differences at first seem overwhelming. The improved picture quality from the new dish and the new functionality make it really worth it. There are more apps than I realized which has me deferring the urge to install a Roku streaming device. I am in the process of installing the Pandora, YouTube, and Netflix. apps.

You can follow my adventures on my post as I ask a ton of questions. I would also be able to share what I found helpful to do in preparation. There are more settings, list of recordings etc. than you might think.

I find it insane not taking advantage of Hopper 3's ability to record 16 shows at the same time, and the size of hard drive to hold them. We all are different but, skipping commercials (and yes paying extra for dvr) and watching whatever and whenever with Hopper 3 is incredibly convenient. I went from top 250 to Welcome package to save $$. No regrets.
With Hopper 3 and recorded shows, u will never claim "There is nothing good to watch!" anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)