Hopper vs direct tv

Which one has the better DVR? I had DishNetwork for years. I feel the DVR is smarter and much faster with DishNetwork. What does anyone who had both think?
Hard to compare right now as Dish has plenty of annoying little bugs with their Hopper system.

today i encountered one where certain recordings are erroring out and won't play anymore. It asks me to delete them instead or go to live tv.

It should be much easier to compare in a few months when some of these DVR issues are worked out.

You have spurred my interest,please explain.:confused:

well an example was when someone got an hr34(maybe hr24) and a h24 to go with it and wasnt told they could not pause live tv on the h24

had they taken the time to research they would have known

or the person that gets the hopper joey not knowing hte joey uses a tuner from the hopper

salesmen dont think of telling everything
its up to you the consumer to know what your buying

I can see both sides to this. I'm not sure it would occur to someone to check that you can pause etc... in each room, because that's the whole premise of the Direct Ad. What would make them think it doesn't? Or locals, someone coming from Cable isn't even going to think about are they going to get their locals or locals in HD. I can understand it wouldn't occur to them to even ask. When my neighbor in Ct. got Direct TV he was mad they didn't give him the two Boston channels Cable does. He just assumed if cable had them, Direct would. It certainly didn't occur to me to point that out. That doesn't mean Direct did anything wrong by the way. But even doing research if you don't know to even look for a specific thing you may not find it. You may even go to the website and look around, then call to order never seeing the page that tells you what locals you get. To many it's just automatic you will get "your" locals....
Now when someone is upset that they can't watch a live program with the Hopper when three tuners are being used for recordings but could with their two 722's, that's totally on them.......

Last edited:
I've been a DirecTV customer since 2000 when the DirecTivos with 2 tuners first came out. Currently have 3 SD DirecTivos on modulators/IR repeaters. I never went HD with DirecTV, because the wife (and me, too) could not bear to give up TiVo for D* PVR. The equipment is old, and have had to do Ebay replacements over the years.

Now two of the TiVos are rebooting often, and are not long for this life. I think it's time to go HD and switch to E* to get 1H/2J. Can anyone give some insight into what kind of transition we will have from TiVo functionality to Hopper? I realize I will be going from 6 tuners to 3, but much of our recording is prime time, or Disney Channel/Nick Jr shows that replay all day & night.

I've been a DirecTV customer since 2000 when the DirecTivos with 2 tuners first came out. Currently have 3 SD DirecTivos on modulators/IR repeaters. I never went HD with DirecTV, because the wife (and me, too) could not bear to give up TiVo for D* PVR. The equipment is old, and have had to do Ebay replacements over the years.

Now two of the TiVos are rebooting often, and are not long for this life. I think it's time to go HD and switch to E* to get 1H/2J. Can anyone give some insight into what kind of transition we will have from TiVo functionality to Hopper? I realize I will be going from 6 tuners to 3, but much of our recording is prime time, or Disney Channel/Nick Jr shows that replay all day & night.

wont get disney hd with dish

oh and direct has a new tivo unit

Didn't know about Disney HD, thanks for the info (but doesn't bother me)

new DirecTivo does not support multi-room viewing, and has only 2 tuners. Seems too little too late for TiVo and DirecTv.

Before I learned about the Hopper, I was considering cablecard and a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun tuner system, connected to a Win7 Media Center PC, and some Xbox 360's for the other TV's. It would have cost a bunch of money, and would not have made the wifey happy. I'm really interested in doing proper whole-home viewing (in HD) and having a single device be the tuners. The Hopper seems like the perfect solution, and as a new customer, the hardware is free.

So my real question is, how will the Hopper UI compare to what we are used to with TiVo?

new DirecTivo does not support multi-room viewing, and has only 2 tuners. Seems too little too late for TiVo and DirecTv.

Before I learned about the Hopper, I was considering cablecard and a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun tuner system, connected to a Win7 Media Center PC, and some Xbox 360's for the other TV's. It would have cost a bunch of money, and would not have made the wifey happy. I'm really interested in doing proper whole-home viewing (in HD) and having a single device be the tuners. The Hopper seems like the perfect solution, and as a new customer, the hardware is free.

So my real question is, how will the Hopper UI compare to what we are used to with TiVo?

--- here you can see a few photos:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/279670-satelliteguys-first-look-dishs-hopper-joey.html

---

Spend the extra $100 to make it 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey - same monthly fees. You wont regret it!

Dave, since no one with TiVo experience has posted, maybe it would be better to just post some specific feature questions and we'll try to answer.

You also will not get ESPNU-HD, ESPNNEWS-HD & ABC Family-HD. You also get less Premium movie channels in HD with DISH.

that'll work.
i paid for that, but couldn't bring myself to pay for a premium channel

With Dish, I generally kept the Platinum (now BB@Home) service as well as HBO/Showtime. HBO/Sho for the series and excellent boxing, with Epix having some boxing also, mostly European stuff. Add in a Max when Strikeback is on and I was good to go.

With D* currently, I have HBO/Sho and like Extreme 'cause they are now showing the undercard for some boxing events on that channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)