Hopper -VS- Genie Video Collection from CES

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
90% of the households in the USA don't have OTA? Where are you pulling your numbers from?

Yes it is true the Hopper can handle 7 LIVE Streams at a time. 4 being the BIG 4 Networks, 1 being via OTA, and the other two via Satellite. But as you pointed out, if you wanted to record 4 things that are not networks (HBO, Showtime, USA and Discovery) you couldn't.

I know the Genie does some things better then the Hopper, but you are not going to see DISH make a video pointing that out. I would love to see DIRECTV fire back by doing some Kangaroo hunting of their own. :) (And as I said I would happily post those videos too!)

Isn't marketing grand. :D

i use OTA and know at least 6 other members on this site who also use it.
OK?

Well thats 6 from 315 million.

I looked it up 17.8% use OTA

Most of that number is from customers that can't afford a Hopper, 3 joeys and Dish Network service.

Last edited:
No your right, But they could have showed something costructive about the hopper.
I think they showed off a lot of constructive things about the Hopper, your just to jaded to see them. :D

It really is a nice system, but its not for everyone. (Same goes for the Genie.)

i use OTA and know at least 6 other members on this site who also use it.

I would say that 25-30% of people that I know use OTA in addition to sat or cable service. Some that dont have no idea that you can. I can not think of a single one that uses only OTA, although I am sure that there are some.

No your right, But they could have showed something costructive about the hopper.

They did IMO. They pointed out the speed, the storage capacity, ect. They simply did it in a different way than you would appear to prefer.

I bet that close to 20% of our Dish customers also have OTA with it. There are plenty of OTA users out there and I bet there would be more if they actually knew what they could do with it. Most people no longer have OTA because they are not aware of what's available to them.

OK?

Well thats 6 from 315 million.

I looked it up 17.8% use OTA

Most of that number is from customers that can't afford a Hopper, 3 joeys and Dish Network service.

i'm sorry, you know 300 million people? me, one person, knows at least 6 here at satguys that use OTA. i'm not the only one either as you can see so i felt the number must be higher than the 10% you 1st posted. i see you have it now at 17.8%. my apologies if i wasn't clear what i meant the 1st time. i would love a link to the info you found of the 17.8% who use OTA. just curious........

Last edited:
i'm sorry, you know 300 million people? me, one person, knows at least 6 here at satguys that use OTA. i'm not the only one either as you can see so i felt the number must be higher than the 10% you 1st posted. i see you have it now at 17.8%. my apologies if i wasn't clear what i meant the 1st time. i would love a link to the info you found of the 17.8% who use OTA. just curious........
https://www.nab.org/documents/newsroom/pressRelease.asp?id=2761

GfK Media estimates that more than 20.7 million households representing 53.8 million consumers receive television exclusively through broadcast signals.

So that 17.8% that have some other tv provider as well as OTA. And out of that How many have a Hopper ?

Last edited:

That says that 17.8% receive their TV EXCLUSIVELY through OTA, not that only 17.8% use OTA. If you add in those that have OTA in addition to sat or cable service, the number would naturally be higher.

17.8% of homes exclusively OTA reliant

The 2012 Ownership Survey and Trend Report, part of The Home Technology Monitor research series, found that 17.8% of all U.S. households with TVs use over-the-air signals to watch TV programming; this compares with 15.0% of homes reported as broadcast-only last year. Overall, GfK Media estimates that more than 20.7 million households representing 53.8 million consumers receive television exclusively through broadcast signals.

I not only have a Hopper/Joey system, I have OTA and CATV as well!

I do too. Cable comes in with my cable internet, and not just basic either. Apparently, when I moved in and subbed to cable internet, the previous homeowner cut off her cable the same day, or her account anyway. Instead of making a trip, or even adjusting anything as far as I can tell, they just put it in my name and adjusted the charge. I never use it, but I do have it if sat does go out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)