Hopper w/ Sling How Many Simultaneous Clients?

dishgo

Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
usa
Hey everyone just wondering what are the limits to Hopper with Sling simultaneous clients? For example how many devices can connect via the Dish Anywhere app over LAN? WAN? Is the limit shared with Joeys? Can two clients watch the same tuner?

Thanks!

To the best of my knowledge...1 at a time, although I have heard them state that if you have two HWS, you can connect to each one, one at a time. Cannot share the tuner between DA users at the same time.

Well that's disappointing. So a hopper can "stream" to up to 3 joeys but only 1 DA client? Even over LAN? I guess that's because the Joeys aren't using the sling video compression and the hardware compression asic in the receiver only handles 1 stream? Would be nice if the DA app supported non-sling encoded streams over LAN like a virtual Joey. But I guess then you run into content protection issues that make media executives cry. If you could plug in another Sling adapter via USB to get an additional stream that would be better than nothing.

Well that's disappointing. So a hopper can "stream" to up to 3 joeys but only 1 DA client? Even over LAN? I guess that's because the Joeys aren't using the sling video compression and the hardware compression asic in the receiver only handles 1 stream? Would be nice if the DA app supported non-sling encoded streams over LAN like a virtual Joey. But I guess then you run into content protection issues that make media executives cry. If you could plug in another Sling adapter via USB to get an additional stream that would be better than nothing.

That and they would lose out on $7/month for the Joey/VJ.

This is because there is only one Sling streamer in the box. :)

Right well what is Sling? It's just an optimized video compression transport stream implemented in hardware. So why not use a different transport stream over LAN where bandwidth isn't as much of an issue? I mean the video is already delivered in MPEG-4 right? And I already mentioned the possibility of adding another Sling streamer through the USB Sling adapter. Plus there is the possibility to asynchronously convert and store recordings in Sling format (is this what the recording transfer function does?).

So really there aren't techincal issues preventing this functionality it must be based on protecting Joey marketability and keeping content owners pacified.

Sling is a physical piece of hardware, that is inside the box for HWS and 922, or you can add the component to a 722 or H2K with the addition of a Sling Adapter or Sling Box. Even on the Sling Box, only one stream can be used at a time. It is not a streaming service from stored servers, such as Netflix, but a live place shifting stream from that additional physical component.

Sling is a physical piece of hardware, that is inside the box for HWS and 922, or you can add the component to a 722 or H2K with the addition of a Sling Adapter or Sling Box. Even on the Sling Box, only one stream can be used at a time. It is not a streaming service from stored servers, such as Netflix, but a live place shifting stream from that additional physical component.

Sorry that was a rhetorical question.

Want a second stream to view remotely, add a sling box. Just be forewarned that the person at the location of the box will be sharing that sling box stream.

Sorry your post is incorrect and he explained why to you.

Not really... I had already said that Sling is a compression algorithm implemented in hardware (ASIC) and that I understand that means only one stream in and one stream out at a time. But that doesn't mean that hopper can't stream to LAN clients using MPEG-4 compression instead of Sling compression or cache Sling encoded streams for distribution to multiple clients. Also it adding additional Sling encoders via USB could be supported, which would be similar to buying an external slingbox.

I can give a simple quick business reason from the accounting department for that one. They want less people watching outside the home, that are not paying for a client. Very little money is lost with one stream, but that number could easily grow with multiple free outlets, that are not Joeys with fees.

I can give a simple quick business reason from the accounting department for that one. They want less people watching outside the home, that are not paying for a client. Very little money is lost with one stream, but that number could easily grow with multiple free outlets, that are not Joeys with fees.

Sure that makes sense, I just hate running into these non-technical technical limitations. There are some workarounds for individual content sources for example signing into the watchESPN app using DISH credentials.

For DirecTV GenieGO, it says you are able to pair up to 5 devices and automatically push DVR recordings to them, whereas Hopper can only manually copy a recording once to a single device? I don't know how many devices can simultaneously stream from GenieGO though.

And if what you've stated is true, then it is an excellent example of Charlie Ergen's "Give the customer what they want," mantra in criticizing restrictions placed on Dish from content owners as being only the case when it is best or convenient for Dish. No question the revenue from all those additional clients and boxes after the first add up to huge, mammoth amount of $$$ per month, per year.

So, Charlie, the customer wants to watch all their content from all their devices INCLUDING everyone in their household (spouse and the kids) at any time and simultaneously. That is what the customer of the 21st century wants, so please follow through on your often self-cited business philosophy. That would be the day.

So although Claude made a good point on another thread that Dish is making more in profit now the. Ever before, but they are still making less in profit than a those receiver fees. So what you are asking, is nowhere in the near future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)