Hopper wants to run check switches all the time?

I have so far installed 4 Hopper/Joey Systems.. 3 on Western arc and 1 on Eastern Arc.. The eastern arc one is giving me fits.. the 3 on Western arc have been rock solid. Everytime the eastern arc reboots, it keeps looking for the 119 satellite. Takes forever for it to remember it is on eastern arc. However it hasn't tried to re run a switch test that I know of.. At least the customer hasn't called me with that problem.. I still feel that the H/J wasn't quite ready for primetime yet..

I have so far installed 4 Hopper/Joey Systems.. 3 on Western arc and 1 on Eastern Arc.. The eastern arc one is giving me fits.. the 3 on Western arc have been rock solid. Everytime the eastern arc reboots, it keeps looking for the 119 satellite. Takes forever for it to remember it is on eastern arc. However it hasn't tried to re run a switch test that I know of.. At least the customer hasn't called me with that problem.. I still feel that the H/J wasn't quite ready for primetime yet..

For the issues with EA Installs locking onto to WA SATs, we believe resetting the box should force the receiver to lock onto to an EA SAT but this does not always work. If it doesn’t, as a work around, you can disconnect the SAT in cables, wait for the receiver to lock onto an EA sat and then reconnect the SAT IN cables.

If you do have a Hopper doing this can you please provide me with:

What orbitals are in the switch matrix
Software Version
Install setup i.e. Switch, LNB, etc.

Well, here's an interesting update to my persistent 'check switch' alerts:
Went away for the weekend so the receiver didn't have anyone home to turn it on and allow it to check the switches. (though I did sling box in to the receiver a few times and never had a problem).

I turn it on tonight (a windy night) and it's lost 61.5. I figure the installer didn't bolt it down enough and I have some drift, (but 72 is coming in fine).
I like to troubleshoot before I call and be somewhat educated (or - perform level 1 CSR diagnostics myself), I'm going through the set up menus and figure - what the heck, run a check switch. Low and behold, 61 is found and I have a full compliment of channels again.

Surely that's not normal behavior....

well, yes and no. it's to be determined if the persistant checkswitch on a hopper with eastern arc is normal...BUT, if it is doing a checkswitch everyday and you have a low signal on one of the sats, then it is understandable that on a stormy night 61.5 dissappears from a switch matrix and reappears the next day when the test is done again. its still a bad software flaw, because if you run a checkswitch during bad weather you really dont want to save the results with a missing sat...you will lose the channels.

Having the same issues. Everyday when I get home form work i get Check Switch 833 when I turn it on. Dish is sending out a Tech on Sunday, and bringing a New Hopper along just in case. I'll Let you know what they find.

833 is exactly what I have - every day as soon as I turn in the receiver. And it doesn't seem to cause any other issues - other than perhaps losing 61.5 after going 3 days without performing a check switch (while we were gone for the weekend).

Hey guys I have had my hopper and 2 joey system for about a month now, I love it. I just get confused when I come back to watch tv after a while and the hopper turns back on, it keeps checking switches 1 of 2, then 2 of 2.. it takes about a minute. Is that normal?? Sorry I tried reading this thread, but its too confusing, just tell me is it normal or not and what to do about it.
Thanks

@Mohanman, It's not normal. That's why I called. They never heard about it before. I was giving it a month because I thought maybe it was just a software that they need to get fixed. I'll let you know what they find.

Last edited:
Tech came yesterday. Didn't turn on the Hopper all day so he could see what it was doing. He got to see the check switch when I turned it on. He replaced a connector going to the Node. Removed an extra splitter that was put in running to the Joey. Didn't replace the Hopper but had extra one with him just in case. I'll found out tonight when I get home from work if it made any difference.

I have the same issue with a check switch, about 30 seconds to complete, when turning on my Hoppers in the morning (with power toggle on Harmony remote). I have a mixed arc setup with 110/119 plus a separate dish for each of 61.5 and 72.7. The 4 satellites feed a DP44 then a dual node.

Further info, it appears to happen only if the guide has been updated overnight. Every once in a while the guide does not update and will not update on subsequent nights unless I do a front panel reset. It does not appear to relate to overnight recordings.

It's a minor nuissance, but it is related to the Hopper software/configuration because it never occurred with my previous 622/722/211.

I have no LOS to 77, and 61.5 and 72.7 only have LOS from two different locations on my garage. After I replace the roof shingles on my garage later this summer I will consider trying again on LOS with a 1000.2 EA dish and drop 110/119 if I really don't need them.

Otherwise the performance of these boxes has been awesome. If a DIRT rep wants more info, PM me please.

I have the exact same problem as everyone else. Just the first power up of the day, takes 30 seconds, everything acts normal afterwards. I am still on S207.

It is not overly frustrating, since the it takes about 30 seconds for the TV to go through all it's power up process.

still happening for me too. I can cancel out of it with no apparent consequences - but still, wondering why it's happening in the first place.

I have the exact same problem as everyone else. Just the first power up of the day, takes 30 seconds, everything acts normal afterwards. I am still on S207.

It is not overly frustrating, since the it takes about 30 seconds for the TV to go through all it's power up process.

Do you have DP44 or mixed arc setups?