hopper what dish

campingman60

Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
texas
i live in an rv full time and i am getting dish insalled monday at the sit we use when not camping and i want to use one of the automatic dishs that u put on the ground and it finds the sat. atutmatic but i cannt find out which one to use some body help me

The one Dish sells is the Tailgater which looks only at the western arc satellite slots (110/119/129). It only works with the 211K VIP receiver. Winegard has the Carryout and King Controls which makes the Tailgater for Dish I think has its own Tailgater and some other VuQubes. There may be others of which I'm not aware. There's some RV guys that hang around so they can probably help you out more than me.

opps for got to say we are getting the hooper and 1 joey and they will put a dish here but need one when we go camping and we will be travling the usa

opps for got to say we are getting the hooper and 1 joey and they will put a dish here but need one when we go camping and we will be travling the usa

As I mentioned above, the Dish Tailgater works with only the Dish VIP 211 series with the correct software. I believe the Winegard Carryout also has the 211 as the recommended receiver to use. Not sure about all the King Control portables although their Tailgater also requires a 211 or equivalent. Your best bit for Hopper and Joey and flexibility may be to get a tripod with adjustable legs, level, and compass with both WA and EA LNB setups and a sat meter so you'll be good to go wherever you camp and have HD. You'll be an expert at setting up in no time.

A standard dish is really your only option the experience all the features of your hopper and joey. as stated above a 1000.2 with both lnb,s is your best bet.

What the mac means is "a 1000.2 (or 1000.4) with all three LNBs". The only way the Hopper will work properly with 2 LNBs is the 1000.2EA dish. Depending on your location, that might work. The Tailgater in particular has only one LNB, and the 211 has the logic when switching satellites to reorient that single LNB. The Hopper (1) does not have the firmware logic to do that and (2) has 3 tuners. So one LNB pointed at one sat is a really bad idea.

Last edited:
What the mac means is "a 1000.2 (or 1000.4) with all three LNBs". The only way the Hopper will work properly with 2 LNBs is the 1000.2EA dish. Depending on your location, that might work. The Tailgater in particular has only one LNB, and the 211 has the logic when switching satellites to reorient that single LNB. The Hopper (1) does not have the firmware logic to do that and (2) has 3 tuners. So one LNB pointed at one sat is a really bad idea.

I think he meant 2 lnb's as in one DPP 1K2 WA LNBF and one DPP 1K2 EA LNBF. And switching based on LOS. Both of those lnb's get 3 satellites.

Maybe I read it wrong, but that's how I took it.

I beleive the only Autotune dish that will allow a Hopper system to be fully functional would be the "Trav'ler" 1000 by Winegard. They work great but can cost upwards of $1500.00. It's a rooftop mounted system, so if LOS is an issue, a standard portable dish setup may be the best option for you.

Technically it will work with a DPP twin. Just nuts if you don't have HD. That's just me.

I beleive the only Autotune dish that will allow a Hopper system to be fully functional would be the "Trav'ler" 1000 by Winegard. They work great but can cost upwards of $1500.00. It's a rooftop mounted system, so if LOS is an issue, a standard portable dish setup may be the best option for you.

I love dealing with the SK-1000. The best auto-dish out there when it comes to setup for dish net rcvrs. I love that dish reflector and 1k.2 lnb on it. Thing of beauty. OK sorry I'll stop drooling over it now. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts