Hopper - will 3 tuners be enough?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Are 3 tuners enough for Dish Customers (not you personally)

• 95% of Dish customers don't need more than 3 tuners and 5% want more tuners

Votes: 87 35.8%
  • 60% don't need 3 tuners, 30% need more but are dumb and happy, and 10% want more tuners

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • At least 50% of Dish customers are not going to be happy with only 3 tuners

Votes: 51 21.0%
  • 3 tuners won't cut it for most customers

Votes: 57 23.5%

• Total voters
And if Dish is smart (up for argument) they will be using media drives designed for constant I/O access, not your ordinary off the shelf PC hard drives.

If you do a bit of investigation you find these drives cost a bit more than standard drives (WD 2T AV drives about $90, vs $70 for STD 2T drive).

I bought 2 of them several years ago to upgrade my HD TiVos and haven't had a hiccup with either (knock on wood).

And if Dish is smart (up for argument) they will be using media drives designed for constant I/O access, not your ordinary off the shelf PC hard drives.

If you do a bit of investigation you find these drives cost a bit more than standard drives (WD 2T AV drives about $90, vs $70 for STD 2T drive).

I bought 2 of them several years ago to upgrade my HD TiVos and haven't had a hiccup with either (knock on wood).
From what I've seen from a list of compatible replacement drives, most are "media" drives.

The hopper should come with more tuners in the future that would be nice . For now the 2 tb is fine for me . I have fios also with 12 tuners and 2 tb total . The boxes each have 6 tuners and 1 tb . The nice thing about fios boxes if you hook up a external hard drive it becomes your main drive along with the drive in the unit . I don't have any drives hooked up to the hopper last time I did it seems more of a pain to move stuff around.it would be nice to plug a usb 4 tb in and it just adds it as extra space not as a extra drive .

...and it just adds it as extra space not as a extra drive .
The major failing in this methodology is that if you take the external drive out and/or replace it, what is left? Some of the DVRs interleave the programming and none that I know of allow you to declare that you want all of a particular show to be kept on one drive or the other. This willy-nilly scheme of putting programs on an arbitrary drive (or splitting them across drives) doesn't make any sense to me.

Most hard drives are 4TB? I just checked Best Buy and most everything they sell does not even come with 1 TB drives yet.

In the TV world is there even a provider that had 1 TB drives yet?

In addition DISH allows you to add external hard drives for unlimited storage space if you want it. Since DISH knows how much hard drive space everyone is using, I doubt there is a rush to upgrade to 4TB nor would we see them move that way unless 4TB matched the prices they are currently paying for 2TB drives. (Now the prices they pay for 2TB drives is MUCH different then what you and I would pay for the same drive)

Scott, you live on the East Coast. I call that the land with no Fry's Electronics.

Here's the measly 1TB.
http://www.frys.com/product/7962250?site=sa:adpages page:p7_SUN date:030115

Here's the best bang for the buck 3TB.
http://www.frys.com/product/7725758?site=sa:adpages page:p7_SUN date:030115

Here's a 4TB.
http://www.frys.com/product/8295416?site=sa:adpages page:p7_SUN date:030115

Oh...here's a 6TB EHD where I can only view 1/4 of what's on there at a time due to the 1000 program list limit on the EHD.

http://www.frys.com/product/8174635?site=sa:adpages page:p7_SUN date:030115

Again, I say Dish needs to update the hard drives to at least 4TB. They can skip the 3TB and go straight to 4. (I didn't say 6!) I want them to upgrade the internal hard drive of their receivers, so that they will increase the program list limit on the EHD's!

BTW, I have a USB switch with FOUR EHD's connected to my Hopper.

People complain enough when what they have saved in a 2TB harddrive and it crashes. What happens when a 4 or 6 TB crashes? I wouldn't even mind if they kept the Max EHD size to 1 TB. By the way, if you are regularly filling up a 4 TB, you're dvring wrong. Lol. I think it is safe to say the 2 TB hopper HDD, and 2 TB EHD limit is enough for the average customer. Implementing new options like that is going to cost dish money in the long run and it's just not something that would pay back. Are you going to go somewhere else because of their harddrive??? Especially since dish has the largest. And lose what you have saved on your multiple EHDs currently.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about the amount of storage Dish offers. I've always thought of Dish as being one of the best companies for allowing people to archive recordings.

It seems funny to say a receiver has a measly hard drive when it's the largest one from any provider.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone complain about the amount of storage Dish offers. I've always thought of Dish as being one of the best companies for allowing people to archive recordings.

It seems funny to say a receiver has a measly hard drive when it's the largest one from any provider.
Some people cannot ever be happy with what they have... No matter how much you give them. We are now a country of entitlement. I'm going to stop though, before I start needing the Pit.

Reactions: KAB
What does one do with 4 TB of video stored on an EHD, or anywhere for that matter?

If you have enough time to watch all of that, you are either retired or re-tired.

I rarely find programming on TV that is good enough to want to watch more than once, maybe Top Gear (British Version) and a few others, but I would not risk anything I really wanted to archive to be all eggs in one basket.

I used 250GB drives to archive off my 722K, but with the Hopper, I have never filled the drive because I delete programs after watching with very few exceptions.

Reactions: KAB and ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts