Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am just waiting for the folks to come here and once again try to argue the point of why they thing The Hopper, PrimeTimeAnytime and AutoHop are illegal.

The courts have not seen it that way at all.

Its time to stop the fighting and for the companies to work together, as I haven't seen too many shows on as of late even worth enabling AutoHop for.

Why do I feel like its the Dish customer that is going to end up loosing when the contract renewal hits. While I hate watching commercials, I do see thier purposes. TV shows cost money and that mostly comes from ads. Is it an issue of an advertiser telling Fox they aren't going to pay as much since the Dish percentage of viewers can skip right over them?

It would be a better use of Fox's money if they look for ways to live in this digital/technology age instead of fighting against it.

Official Statement from DISH.

[h=1]Court of Appeals Upholds DISH Hopper Ruling[/h] Release Date:
Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:11 am MDT

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE [3])--Today, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit affirmed a lower court’s November rejection of the Fox Broadcasting Company’s efforts to bar DISH subscribers from use of the PrimeTime Anytime[SUP]TM[/SUP] and AutoHop[SUP]TM[/SUP] features found on the pay-TV provider’s Hopper[SUP]TM[/SUP] Whole-Home HD DVR.

The PrimeTime Anytime feature provides consumers with the ability to easily record primetime shows on up to each of the four broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox) and save them for up to eight days. The AutoHop feature provides the ability for consumers to play back certain PrimeTime Anytime recordings commercial-free, starting the day after broadcast.

The following statement can be attributed to DISH Executive Vice President and General Counsel, R. Stanton Dodge:

“DISH is pleased that the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has affirmed the district court’s 2012 order denying Fox’s preliminary injunction motion. In so doing, the courts continue to reject Fox’s efforts to deny our customers’ access to PrimeTime Anytime and AutoHop -- key features of the Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR.

“This decision is a victory for American consumers, and we are proud to have stood by their side in this important fight over the fundamental rights of consumer choice and control.”

Well, sticking your head in the sand doesnt help either.

Look, I get it, Dish is proving their point that the big broadcasters wont stop the autohop tech. Whoooopeeeee... Folks here and every where else can pat themselves on the back over it, but at the end of the day the broadcasters own the content. You want to think that when CBS/Fox/etc... finish getting their butt's handed to them over autohop they arent going to lay it to dish at contract time, then I have to some swamp land to sell you.

I love my Hopper, and dont use autohop, so I think all of this is silly and problematic.

To me PTAT is groundbreaking, you dont need autohop.

I don't get why when Dish wins a fight everyone is so negative, if the providers let the broadcasters rule we wouldn't even have dvrs much less vhs ... sheesh!

I can only guess,that the negativity stems from all the previous battles,that Dish has lost.In the end,it did cost the customer more money.Tivo,Rainbow media,being two of the costlier ones.

Look, I get it, Dish is proving their point that the big broadcasters wont stop the autohop tech. Whoooopeeeee... Folks here and every where else can pat themselves on the back over it, but at the end of the day the broadcasters own the content. You want to think that when CBS/Fox/etc... finish getting their butt's handed to them over autohop they arent going to lay it to dish at contract time, then I have to some swamp land to sell you.

I love my Hopper, and dont use autohop, so I think all of this is silly and problematic.

If Dish wins all the major legal battles regarding autohop,and ptat,it will be hard for the big 4 to stick it to them at negotiation time.They have to negotiate in good faith,plus you know if dish prevails,then other sat and cable companies will follow Dish's lead.

I agree, somewhere the networks are going to want something or do something. But I get the feeling some posters turn that into DISH shouldn't have fought them and should drop that Hopper feature. Those same people would have said not to fight the Movie industry, or the Music industry. Both exist today largely because they failed to stifle technology, and by failing we have downloads and the ability to watch movies and listen to music anywhere and easily. It has benefited both the industry and the consumer. Same applies here. As dfergie said, without innovators willing to take risks there probably would be no DVR's or certainly there would be no skip ahead feature.

You dont get the fact that at contract time the networks have two choices... pull themselfs off of DISH and lose 15 million customers... or charge DISH what they charge all other providers.

They just cant say "Well its DISH, we hate them so we will charge them more." its not like that. The laws are in DISH's favor all around.

Yeah I agree. This is not that big of a deal and I don't use the auto hop as well I just wish they would spend more time on getting more HD feeds which means not ticking off the networks. Also get Blockbuster fix or can it either way there are a lot more bigger issues to address and I just hope they get the ESPN contract taking care of and try not to make the local 4 Networks to upset. This could come back to bite Dish and the Networks end up getting the last laugh and Dish takes a hit on loosing more HD feeds just because a feature that no one really uses. If that happens there will be plenty hoping over to other Tv Providers that's one thing with Dish is sometimes they can be their worse enemy.

If Dish wins all the major legal battles regarding autohop,and ptat,it will be hard for the big 4 to stick it to them at negotiation time.They have to negotiate in good faith,plus you know if dish prevails,then other sat and cable companies will follow Dish's lead.

So what is your address, I'll mail you the copy of that swamp land brochure.

I agree, somewhere the networks are going to want something or do something. But I get the feeling some posters turn that into DISH shouldn't have fought them and should drop that Hopper feature. Those same people would have said not to fight the Movie industry, or the Music industry. Both exist today largely because they failed to stifle technology, and by failing we have downloads and the ability to watch movies and listen to music anywhere and easily. It has benefited both the industry and the consumer. Same applies here. As dfergie said, without innovators willing to take risks there probably would be no DVR's or certainly there would be no skip ahead feature.

Here is my problem, and dont group me into not fighting Hollywood, Dish is spending all this time pissing them off, yet they lost AMC for an ext period, and I cant get ESPNU in HD. Shall I go on? Let's see how happy some people here are when they lose some locals over this, another reason why I have two OTA adapters. I'm tired of the fights, but hey, when you lose some locals, at least you will still auto hop (which only works on locals BTW).

If you notice, Im in the 250 plan and have all 4 premiums, so I dont mind paying, I just want my channels on the air. Screw autohop, where is my Disney/ESPN stuff?

Yeah I agree. This is not that big of a deal and I don't use the auto hop as well I just wish they would spend more time on getting more HD feeds which means not ticking off the networks. Also get Blockbuster fix or can it either way there are a lot more bigger issues to address and I just hope with the ESPN contract and dealing with the local 4 Networks. This could come back to bite Dish and the Networks end up getting the last laugh and Dish takes a hit on loosing more HD feeds just because a feature that no one really uses. If that happens there will be plenty hoping over to other Tv Providers that's one thing with Dish is sometimes they can be their worse enemy.

Here is the thing, what Dish moves made in the last 5 years has made them a huge value? They arent. Dish offers no better value at the end of the day than Directv, yet they fight everyone and claim they are looking out for us. At some point, stop drinking the koolaid people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)