Hopper with OTA antenna CW channel mapped to wrong info

BostonMA

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 20, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
I live in Boston as my handle indicates. Upgraded to Hopper 3 with OTA antenna to resolve issue with 3 local channels removed. (Fox and CW affiliates and another). The CW channel is owned by the same owner as a local mostly news channel. Programming for the news channel is mapped to both. I have tried several ways to notify DIsh to have it corrected. The techs I have spoken with don't grasp the issue. Any ideas how to get this fixed?

Same thing here in Phoenix on both Scripps-owned stations... KNXV-15 ABC data shows up also on KASW-61 which should be the CW

We have a few pairs of those in the Cleveland DMA, all due to frequency-sharing arrangements:
  • WOIO 19 (CBS) and WUAB 43 (CW) both owned by Gray Media Group. Guide data for host station WOIO gets mapped to both OTA channels, including guide data for 019-02 going to 043-02.
  • WVPX 23 (ION) and WDLI 17 (ION Plus) both have ION guide data, with channel 023-01 guide data also being mapped to 017-01.
  • WEAO 49 (PBS) and WRLM 47 (TCT) with WEAO guide data being mapped to both 049-01 and 047-01. This one is especially obvious, since the channels are right next to each other in the guide.
The problem is that when two stations share the same frequency, they now both have the same TSID (Transport Stream ID). The channels are mapped to their virtual channels in the guide using the subchannel numbers in the TSID, which also include different primary channel numbers for each station. (WOIO is 019-01 while WUAB is 043-01 for example.) Dish's guide data mapping system was not set up to handle two different primary channel numbers for the same TSID. Instead, it only looks for the TSID and subchannel number (-01, -02, etc.) ignoring the primary channel number. As a result, the stations with WOIO's TSID (WOIO and WUAB) both get WOIO's guide data. Dish is still uplinking the WUAB OTA guide data mapping, but it is looking for WUAB's old TSID. I have an old ViP211k that was scanned before the repack (when I could still receive WUAB OTA) and it still has correct guide data for WUAB 043-01 and 043-02. So, I still get the guide data, but cannot get the actual OTA signal. On receivers that can get OTA signal from WOIO (and have been re-scanned since the repack) the WOIO guide data would show up in both places as I described above.

Reactions: BostonMA
We have a few pairs of those in the Cleveland DMA, all due to frequency-sharing arrangements:
  • WOIO 19 (CBS) and WUAB 43 (CW) both owned by Gray Media Group. Guide data for host station WOIO gets mapped to both OTA channels, including guide data for 019-02 going to 043-02.
  • WVPX 23 (ION) and WDLI 17 (ION Plus) both have ION guide data, with channel 023-01 guide data also being mapped to 017-01.
  • WEAO 49 (PBS) and WRLM 47 (TCT) with WEAO guide data being mapped to both 049-01 and 047-01. This one is especially obvious, since the channels are right next to each other in the guide.
The problem is that when two stations share the same frequency, they now both have the same TSID (Transport Stream ID). The channels are mapped to their virtual channels in the guide using the subchannel numbers in the TSID, which also include different primary channel numbers for each station. (WOIO is 019-01 while WUAB is 043-01 for example.) Dish's guide data mapping system was not set up to handle two different primary channel numbers for the same TSID. Instead, it only looks for the TSID and subchannel number (-01, -02, etc.) ignoring the primary channel number. As a result, the stations with WOIO's TSID (WOIO and WUAB) both get WOIO's guide data. Dish is still uplinking the WUAB OTA guide data mapping, but it is looking for WUAB's old TSID. I have an old ViP211k that was scanned before the repack (when I could still receive WUAB OTA) and it still has correct guide data for WUAB 043-01 and 043-02. So, I still get the guide data, but cannot get the actual OTA signal. On receivers that can get OTA signal from WOIO (and have been re-scanned since the repack) the WOIO guide data would show up in both places as I described above.
You must have a degree in "TVology".

Thanks for all the feedback. While the quote above explains the issue, with the number of responses and cities impacted I feel Dish should look into resolving it. If the Locast app can do it, why not Dish.

Here in Detroit channel 7 and its sister station channel 20 are sharing the same guide info.
Also had to do a rescan on all my receivers to get channel 20 back. Not sure if the virtual channel changed or not. Assuming it changed to channel 7 's frequency thanks to cords observations :)

Reactions: pattykay
I live in Boston as my handle indicates. Upgraded to Hopper 3 with OTA antenna to resolve issue with 3 local channels removed. (Fox and CW affiliates and another). The CW channel is owned by the same owner as a local mostly news channel. Programming for the news channel is mapped to both. I have tried several ways to notify DIsh to have it corrected. The techs I have spoken with don't grasp the issue. Any ideas how to get this fixed?
Live in Denver and had the same problem. Dish finally fixed the problem today. Only took them 3 months.

Reactions: TheKrell
Live in Denver and had the same problem. Dish finally fixed the problem today. Only took them 3 months.
I was wondering what this uplink was about. It looks like Dish fixed it yesterday:
Other Changes
8203 KDVR (31 Local) DENVER, CO (FOX) 110° 12s30 (Central Colorado) SD Denver, CO market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (31-01)
6333 KDVR (31 HD Local) DENVER, CO (FOX) 129° 4s19 (NC Colorado) HD Denver, CO market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (31-01)
6334 KWGN (2 HD Local) DENVER, CO (CW) 119° 3sB07 (Denver) HD Denver, CO market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (2-01) xED Added
8204 KWGN (2 Local) DENVER, CO (CW) 119° TP 20 SD Denver, CO market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (2-01) xED Added

Local Channel Info Added
6334 KWGN
8204 KWGN

However, it looks like the fix was to remove the OTA guide mapping link from the satellite-delivered version of the channel. There was no additional separate guide data stream uplinked to replace each of those links for the OTA channel guide, either. However, since the issue is now fixed, I guess this means that Dish is working on some other way of delivering the guide data for OTA channels, rather than linking the guide to the satellite-delivered channel or uplinking separate guide data streams for OTA channels. Perhaps Denver is a test market for this new OTA guide delivery system, whatever it is. (Internet-delivered OTA guide data, maybe?)

I was wondering what this uplink was about. It looks like Dish fixed it yesterday:
Other Changes
8203 KDVR (31 Local) DENVER, CO (FOX) 110° 12s30 (Central Colorado) SD Denver, CO market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (31-01)
6333 KDVR (31 HD Local) DENVER, CO (FOX) 129° 4s19 (NC Colorado) HD Denver, CO market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (31-01)
6334 KWGN (2 HD Local) DENVER, CO (CW) 119° 3sB07 (Denver) HD Denver, CO market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (2-01) xED Added
8204 KWGN (2 Local) DENVER, CO (CW) 119° TP 20 SD Denver, CO market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (2-01) xED Added

Local Channel Info Added
6334 KWGN
8204 KWGN

However, it looks like the fix was to remove the OTA guide mapping link from the satellite-delivered version of the channel. There was no additional separate guide data stream uplinked to replace each of those links for the OTA channel guide, either. However, since the issue is now fixed, I guess this means that Dish is working on some other way of delivering the guide data for OTA channels, rather than linking the guide to the satellite-delivered channel or uplinking separate guide data streams for OTA channels. Perhaps Denver is a test market for this new OTA guide delivery system, whatever it is. (Internet-delivered OTA guide data, maybe?)
I wish they would use internet guide delivery system for ota. It would provide information for all channels and sub channels and then you could record with name based recording on all your ota channels instead of manual timers for channels that just have the call letters and nothing more.

My Tablo ota dvr gives me 14 days of guide information and they caught a move of our Fox channel to a sub channel on our Cbs channel the same week the change was made. DISH is still just showing FOX 4 on the channel and the actual guide information is still on the old channel that shows 20 years old decorating shows in HD and is now called DABLE. I have at least 7 - 8 sub channels that just are the call letters and no information. Makes them worthless for recording .

Reactions: charlesrshell
I wish they would use internet guide delivery system for ota. It would provide information for all channels and sub channels and then you could record with name based recording on all your ota channels instead of manual timers for channels that just have the call letters and nothing more.
Another advantage (from Dish's perspective) is that we would no longer get a "heads up" in the uplink reports about any potential upcoming local channel disputes, whenever they make changes to the OTA guide data linking. ;)

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Well, I would say they can use the internet to deliver OTA "sub-channel" guide data. This would keep the digital stream or size of the EPG data file from getting too big to stream in a timely manner on the satellite. Dish could send the OTA "sub-channel" guide data in smaller files to each DMA over the public internet, pretty much like just about every other business uses the public internet from Ring Doorbells to "Alexa" and Google Nest and you name it.

EPG program guide data is miniscule compared to video data - not a problem.

The problem is the way Dish software interprets the X.1 guide data in mapping it to only one channel per RF frequency.

IMHO. A rebuild of Dish's guide software will be needed.

Since Dish was able to fix the Guide mismatch in Denver I decided to call Dish about the Guide mismatch in Columbus, Ohio. Since February WTTE Fox is now shared on channel 6-03 and channel 28-01 is now TBD.
The first level Technical Support transferred me to the second level support. After finally explaining that a channel rescan would not correct the mismatch she agreed to send the information to the programming engineers. Hopefully they can apply a similar fix to what was done in the Denver market.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Since Dish was able to fix the Guide mismatch in Denver I decided to call Dish about the Guide mismatch in Columbus, Ohio. Since February WTTE Fox is now shared on channel 6-03 and channel 28-01 is now TBD.
The first level Technical Support transferred me to the second level support. After finally explaining that a channel rescan would not correct the mismatch she agreed to send the information to the programming engineers. Hopefully they can apply a similar fix to what was done in the Denver market.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Somebody at Dish must have already been aware of that change in the Columbus, Ohio locals. Here is the uplink report from January 20, when they changed the labels on the satellite-delivered version of WTTE for the Columbus and Zanesville markets:
4 changes seen 1/20/21 at 12:06pm ET (v13)

Channels Renamed

5193 WTTE COLUMBUS, OH (FOX) renamed WSYX3 COLUMBUS, OH (ABC) (28 HD Local) (129° 2s25 (East Ohio) HD Columbus, OH market Hidden)
7203 WTTE COLUMBUS, OH (FOX) renamed WSYX3 COLUMBUS, OH (ABC) (28 Local) (129° 4s25 (East Ohio) SD Columbus, OH market Hidden)
5273 WTTE COLUMBUS, OH (FOX) SV* renamed WSYX3 COLUMBUS, OH (ABC) SV* (28 HD Local) (61.5° 32s4 (Ohio) HD Zanesville, OH market Hidden)
6513 WTTE COLUMBUS, OH (FOX) SV* renamed WSYX3 COLUMBUS, OH (ABC) SV* (28 Local) (119° 4sB14 (Nashville) SD Zanesville, OH market Hidden)

So, they caught the fact that Fox is now on WSYX's 6-03 sub-channel. They just did not bother to fix the OTA guide mapping to reflect that.

Maybe they can work on Chicago next.
They did do some work on the Chicago OTA guide data today:
New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels NOT Available
13006 WCIU CHICAGO, IL added to 129° 9s22 (Lake Michigan) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13039 WMEU [LOCAL STATION] (***) added to 61.5° 20s55 (Chicago IL) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13042 WWME CHICAGO, IL added to 110° 31s19 (Central Illinois) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)

Other Changes
6317 WCIU (26 HD Local) CHICAGO, IL 129° 9s22 (Lake Michigan) HD Chicago, IL market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (26-01)
6326 WMEU (48 HD Local) [LOCAL STATION] (***) 61.5° 20s55 (Chicago IL) HD Chicago, IL market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (48-01)
8497 WCIU (26 Local) CHICAGO, IL 110° 31s19 (Central Illinois) SD Chicago, IL market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (26-01)
8505 WWME (23 Local) CHICAGO, IL 110° 31s19 (Central Illinois) SD Chicago, IL market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (23-01)
8508 WMEU (48 Local) [LOCAL STATION] (***) 119° 1sA11 (Lansing) SD Chicago, IL market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (48-01)

Unfortunately, these seem to be changes being made in preparation for a potential upcoming local channel dispute.

They did do some work on the Chicago OTA guide data today:
New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels NOT Available
13006 WCIU CHICAGO, IL added to 129° 9s22 (Lake Michigan) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13039 WMEU [LOCAL STATION] (***) added to 61.5° 20s55 (Chicago IL) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)
13042 WWME CHICAGO, IL added to 110° 31s19 (Central Illinois) (OTA EPG Data) No EPG – OTA Mapping (-01)

Other Changes
6317 WCIU (26 HD Local) CHICAGO, IL 129° 9s22 (Lake Michigan) HD Chicago, IL market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (26-01)
6326 WMEU (48 HD Local) [LOCAL STATION] (***) 61.5° 20s55 (Chicago IL) HD Chicago, IL market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (48-01)
8497 WCIU (26 Local) CHICAGO, IL 110° 31s19 (Central Illinois) SD Chicago, IL market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (26-01)
8505 WWME (23 Local) CHICAGO, IL 110° 31s19 (Central Illinois) SD Chicago, IL market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (23-01)
8508 WMEU (48 Local) [LOCAL STATION] (***) 119° 1sA11 (Lansing) SD Chicago, IL market Hidden – OTA Mapping Removed (48-01)

Unfortunately, these seem to be changes being made in preparation for a potential upcoming local channel dispute.
And it messed Chicago up...it's the wrong guide data for 23-01. WWME is the local ME TV in Chicago. The upcoming shows are Modern Family, Two and a Half Men, Last Man Standing, the Big Bang Theory, The Masked Singer, and Game of Talents. That is definitely not what is on ME TV. The news at 9pm says "Fox 33 News First at 9" - here in Chicago our FOX is 32, and the closest other FOX channel is 39 from Rockford. Have never heard of a Fox 33...so it must be some random Fox channel far away that was mistakenly linked to METV in Chicago.

And it messed Chicago up...it's the wrong guide data for 23-01. WWME is the local ME TV in Chicago. The upcoming shows are Modern Family, Two and a Half Men, Last Man Standing, the Big Bang Theory, The Masked Singer, and Game of Talents. That is definitely not what is on ME TV. The news at 9pm says "Fox 33 News First at 9" - here in Chicago our FOX is 32, and the closest other FOX channel is 39 from Rockford. Have never heard of a Fox 33...so it must be some random Fox channel far away that was mistakenly linked to METV in Chicago.
A quick Google search for Fox 33 News First at 9 comes up with KMSS - Shreveport, Louisiana. This certainly is a K-M(e)SS. :biggrin

• Haha
Reactions: zippyfrog

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)