Hopper with Sling Upgrade

DJMooty

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Florida
Upgrade experience from Hopper to Hopper with Sling. Free upgrade with 24 month extension.

The start up wizard worked smoothly until pairing the remote which didn't work at all with repeated attempts. Solved by opening panel, hitting system info, selecting pair. Then proceeded to call to authorize. Took a considerable amount of time after authorization entered for system to authorize. Then powered up Joey which was unlinked. Went through menu, settings, network, whole house. It had detected my hopper which was unlinked. No obvious way to link, trick was to hit a left arrow. Then Linked with no problem. Before upgrading , I had saved DVR content to an external USB drive. When I accessed the drive to move content back, I got an error message saying the disk was tied to a different account and could only be reformatted. First Dish tech support insisted that was normal, but did transfer me to advanced support. That tech knew what he was doing and had me power down and disconnect the external drive. He then corrected something and restarted the Hopper. Solved the problem.
He said it related to de-authorizing the old Hopper. The new unit seems to display transparent objects better. Game finder does not display buttons like save as being selected.
Wish list, a way to save and restore old settings, especially favorite channel lists.
Works great once squared away.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Just went through the same process for two Hoppers. My experience could not have been any easier. Only glitch was EHD took a few minutes to be recognized as belonging to the account, but resolved on it's own. Transfers from EHD didn't work until the next morning, but EHD was viewable as soon as recognized. Transfers may have worked earlier with a reboot.

You can restore old settings from the original Hopper's remote. The first remote I paired was the original Hopper's. System automatically asked if I wanted to restore the settings from the remote, and all settings were restored. I don't use favorites list, but everything else came back - timers, timer defaults, parental controls, etc. Didn't have to do any further setup on either Hopper. Assume favorite lists would have been restored as well if I had them.

Last edited:
It's a referb hopper. I knew it was just by reading the first part of your post then the end proved it. Yeah in the process there are a few that get past without getting the final step. But if that happens just call dash and they can fix It quickly.

It's a referb hopper. I knew it was just by reading the first part of your post then the end proved it. Yeah in the process there are a few that get past without getting the final step. But if that happens just call dash and they can fix It quickly.
Sorry, but your avatar is starting to drive me crazy. Can you possibly shut off the motion. PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Just went through the same process for two Hoppers. My experience could not have been any easier. Only glitch was EHD took a few minutes to be recognized as belonging to the account, but resolved on it's own. Transfers from EHD didn't work until the next morning, but EHD was viewable as soon as recognized. Transfers may have worked earlier with a reboot.

You can restore old settings from the original Hopper's remote. The first remote I paired was the original Hopper's. System automatically asked if I wanted to restore the settings from the remote, and all settings were restored. I don't use favorites list, but everything else came back - timers, timer defaults, parental controls, etc. Didn't have to do any further setup on either Hopper. Assume favorite lists would have been restored as well if I had them.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by restoring timers/etc.? I have a ton of timers and am about to upgrade from "old" Hopper to new Hopper with sling. CSR said it can't be done when I asked about saving and restoring timers. I'm encouraged by what you wrote but am confused by it, can you please elaborate steps to do this? Thanks

Hopper automatically backs up settings to its remotes every day or so. When you install the HWS (or a replacement H2K), during the setup process, when it asks about pairing your remote, use your existing H2K remote and you should get a prompt to restore the saved settings. Virtually everything gets restored.

To be sure the remote has the latest settings, go to menu->settings->system wizard to force a backup immediately before replacing the H2K.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)