Hopper with USB OTA and HDD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tempVAdish

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Temperanceville, VA
Hi All!

Reading through the Hopper w/ Sling manual online and noticed that it states that the Hopper will only work w/ one USB device at a time. Does that mean that you can only have either the OTA dongle or the HDD connected? Or will it work with both of those, just not 2 HDDs?

Thanks,
Rob

I think it is referencing one type of thing at a time. ie one Wireless adapter, one EHD, one whatever else you need. As mentioned, many people have 2, EHDs and some even have 3+(with restrictions, but they can get into that)

Reactions: tempVAdish
I use a usb hub and connected to my HWS's and have 2 ehd's, the ota dongle and a cooling fan.
You are actually who I was referencing in my post... I knew you would pop in sooner or later with your explanation... Didnt you also do 3-4 EHD's and find that you can view but not transfer to on the 3rd and 4th??? Or something of that nature.

I've had 4-5 hooked up. Only first two are visible/useable. So I just power up the one or two I want.

Reactions: ChadT41
Thanks all! I appreciate the responses. The USB port on my 622 isn't working any more & I'm trying to decide if I want to have it replaced, go w/ a 722, or w/ the Hopper w/Sling. All of my outside hardware is old (superdish, dp34, and a D500 for 129) and all of that is going to have to be replaced for the Hopper :( Hard decision on how much $$ to spend, but the Sling would be nice for watching in the garage.

Is the HWS pretty stable and reliable?

Thanks again,
Rob

How many TV's do you want hd on and the ability to watch different programing on each? If more than 1, the Hopper is the only way to go. Also, the Hopper has a larger (2tb) internal hd. If the garage is attached, a Joey would work. If detached, a wireless one would work.

How many TV's do you want hd on and the ability to watch different programing on each? If more than 1, the Hopper is the only way to go. Also, the Hopper has a larger (2tb) internal hd. If the garage is attached, a Joey would work. If detached, a wireless one would work.

I only have the 1 HD set in the house, I'm running 311's on those. My set in the garage is an HD, but use it for movies on the computer. It's detached, but I do have a 1Gb network out there for streaming from the computer in the house. I'm really interested in the large internal drive and the "new" GUI on the Hopper. I've looked at the 622 interface for a long time ;-)

Do the Joey's use network cables or RF (coax) cables?

Thanks!
Rob

I said that you can have up to 4 powered USB drives (using a 4-port hub)--5 will not add one and don't know how many with a dongle in use. But only the "first two" will be viewable. You can do transfers to all or any at the same time--not terribly recommended. You may or not recover viewing if one of the first two is taken off-line. Using 3 or 4 can make keeping track of which is which a problem as the drives have only number and no labels. Best to view the content list and watch the in-use light to be sure the correct transfer.
-Ken

Thanks all! I appreciate the responses. The USB port on my 622 isn't working any more & I'm trying to decide if I want to have it replaced, go w/ a 722, or w/ the Hopper w/Sling. All of my outside hardware is old (superdish, dp34, and a D500 for 129) and all of that is going to have to be replaced for the Hopper :( Hard decision on how much $$ to spend, but the Sling would be nice for watching in the garage.

Is the HWS pretty stable and reliable?

Thanks again,
Rob
Yes, the HWS is stable. We'd still like some improvements, like adding an OTA station and padding OTA timers. But it's good.

I wouldn't worry about expense, if you let Dish do the work and accept a two year contract- then it's on their dime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts