Hopper with VIP 772k: is it possible

He indicated

But leaves open the possibility that those could still cross to some other Echostar products that are only marginally different. Plus, I gather most STBs in the field are basically Dish boxes?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

For the record, there are plenty of new installs that do not have Hoppers. The configurator that we (Dish) use to set up a new install has a Hopper and non-Hopper option. We go in and set the number of TVs, and the two questions for each tv are: 1. HD? Y/N 2. DVR? Y/N, and it recommends a solution, and an alternate. If no DVRs are chosen, it will give the non-Hopper solution, but also give the Hopper for comparison. But for each one...there is a Hopper and non-Hopper solution. I've dealt with plenty of non-Hopper accounts that are less than a month old over the last week or so. Even dealt with one where the customer was upset that he did NOT get the Hopper.

Same goes for upgrades, that screen has Hopper and non-Hopper sections.

I have no idea what the sales agents are told, they may well be told to push Hoppers, but nothing forces it, and customers still have a choice.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.
DVR's greatly reduce churn at Dish. This has been the case from the day of the 501. Dish wants every customer to have a DVR, and does everything it can to promote the DVR and provide it for "free" because it keeps creates a superior experience for the customer and increases the chances of KEEPING that customer, but not every customer wants a DVR, so Dish would rather get that non-DVR customer than lose them. Dish has the non-DVR inventory and installs because it has to, not necessarily because it wants to.

Well the idea of having issues with the DPP44 switch or two switches installed isn't all true cause even today if you do a 4 room HD install without DVR they put four 211's on the account so you need a 44Switch right off the bat.

Adding a 722 to a hopper install is easy to do and wouldn't cause any problem because I've done it with a single 1000.2 WA install using two lines to a node for a 4 room hopper/joey install and then a single line from the other port to the 722 (on a whole other account in a house with two apartments). The switch won't care and won't cause any problems from doing this the only restriction is Dish and their lame system that won't allow it to be activated on the same account other than a single 211 for tailgating. If they can allow the 211 then they sure as hell can allow the 722's or any other receiver to be active on the same account.

I would still result in a higher cost to acquire the customer. An extra switch times a whole lot of people can become real money on the cost analysis then we might think.

He doesn't think he'll get an audit as he thinks dish doesn't audit whole home systems. I'm pretty sure he's Wrong about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dish audited me after years even though all my ViP's we connected to phone lines 24/7 and my checking to confirm all the boxes were checking in every day. There was no reason to audit me other than Dish was just doing so to confirm since I had 6 boxes, but had no red flags. Oh, yes, they will audit any account that has more than a few boxes/clients even if all seems well and legit. This guy WILL get audited and he will FAIL and get shut down. He will immediately be offered the option of creating multiple accounts. He'll probably never cop to being caught he does.

Reactions: ChadT41
Dish audited me after years even though all my ViP's we connected to phone lines 24/7 and my checking to confirm all the boxes were checking in every day. There was no reason to audit me other than Dish was just doing so to confirm since I had 6 boxes, but had no red flags. Oh, yes, they will audit any account that has more than a few boxes/clients even if all seems well and legit. This guy WILL get audited and he will FAIL and get shut down. He will immediately be offered the option of creating multiple accounts. He'll probably never cop to being caught he does.
How often did they audit you? I had an audit about a year ago. I don't usually answer unrecognized numbers, so I don't want to miss the call if they choose to audit me again. They claimed that they won't audit again, but I'm not so sure I believe that...

How often did they audit you? I had an audit about a year ago. I don't usually answer unrecognized numbers, so I don't want to miss the call if they choose to audit me again. They claimed that they won't audit again, but I'm not so sure I believe that...

Just once, but keep in mind all my boxes were calling in from the same phone line for years, so they probably knew I was legit and NOT account stacking. I still had the ViP's for years after that with no further audits, but I think it confirms that Dish WILL audit even if all lokes legit on your end. Remember, it is the high number of boxes they are interested in confirming, not so much a 2 box account.

Keep in mind that once the you and the auditor are connected (by telephone), if for ANY reason the connection is lost, such as low battery on your wireless phone or ANY reason, even before the audit begins, YOU WILL BE SHUT DOWN (they go through a scripted introduction and explanation of what they expect and they will do such as shutting down your account immediately during the phone call if they feel so compelled), and have to call and resolve this with Dish, so they aren't tolerating anything at that point, but that can be a pain if someone is legit. During the audit process, you will be given only what seems a "reasonable" amount of time to go to each TV and read the numbers because they are aware you may be putting in a call to the other household about being audited.

In short, Charlie would rather SHUT YOU DOWN and take whatever complaints and even LOSE you as a customer than allow the loss due to account stacking. Auditing will always err on the side that you are account stacking and shut down your service requiring you to address whatever issue and re authorize service. Of course, Dish will always be more than happy to immediately re-authorize all the boxes in all the locations--as separate accounts. No hard feelings and a new LOVE because Dish will be getting all the hard cash it is entitled to under the Residential Agreement. "Have a good day, and thank you for calling Dish."

There are a lot of gray areas in life and even in satellite, but account stacking is really over the line and just plain theft. I shed no tears for account stackers who get shut down. If someone wants remote viewing, I recommend a Hopper with Sling or a Slingbox.

I was actually talking to a different coworker who was inquiring about getting a Bell account when the other coworker walked by and told us about his set up. I then told him that I pay for a DirecTV account and a Bell TV account and while we do have both services installed at both our American & Canadian homes year round our household pays for both accounts. He actually said that what I'm doing is no different then what he's doing. I said really? It's just my wife & myself and when were not here were there, so who exactly are we stacking with? Ourselves? That's when he called me a sucker for actually paying for 2 accounts. Oh and as to the audit his answer is not to answer the call, then when he calls back he will call on his landline while having his cell on silent and have the other party's at the ready on the system info screen to quietly send him the info via text. I just told him good luck with that when it happens.

Just once, but keep in mind all my boxes were calling in from the same phone line for years, so they probably knew I was legit and NOT account stacking. I still had the ViP's for years after that with no further audits, but I think it confirms that Dish WILL audit even if all lokes legit on your end. Remember, it is the high number of boxes they are interested in confirming, not so much a 2 box account.

Keep in mind that once the you and the auditor are connected (by telephone), if for ANY reason the connection is lost, such as low battery on your wireless phone or ANY reason, even before the audit begins, YOU WILL BE SHUT DOWN (they go through a scripted introduction and explanation of what they expect and they will do such as shutting down your account immediately during the phone call if they feel so compelled), and have to call and resolve this with Dish, so they aren't tolerating anything at that point, but that can be a pain if someone is legit. During the audit process, you will be given only what seems a "reasonable" amount of time to go to each TV and read the numbers because they are aware you may be putting in a call to the other household about being audited.

In short, Charlie would rather SHUT YOU DOWN and take whatever complaints and even LOSE you as a customer than allow the loss due to account stacking. Auditing will always err on the side that you are account stacking and shut down your service requiring you to address whatever issue and re authorize service. Of course, Dish will always be more than happy to immediately re-authorize all the boxes in all the locations--as separate accounts. No hard feelings and a new LOVE because Dish will be getting all the hard cash it is entitled to under the Residential Agreement. "Have a good day, and thank you for calling Dish."

There are a lot of gray areas in life and even in satellite, but account stacking is really over the line and just plain theft. I shed no tears for account stackers who get shut down. If someone wants remote viewing, I recommend a Hopper with Sling or a Slingbox.

Believe you me, I know all about the audit calls. I knew exactly what I was in for when I called back (they left a message, which from what I read, is unusual.) I don't have my four Hoppers and one Joey connected to the phone line, but they are all Internet-connected and share the same IP address. I called them back on a cordless phone (landline that I rarely use, but it's the same number as on the account,) rather than my cell just in case. I rushed all around the house and made as much noise to make it obvious that I'm moving around in the same house as possible. It was definitely still a pain, though.

I have four Hoppers, one Joey and a 722k. The 722k is on a separate account. All receivers are Sling-enabled. I am definitely NOT account stacking. If I had the need for Hopper(s) at another location, I would simply upgrade the 722k to Hopper(s).

I agree. Account stackers are scum. No different than people that "share" and/or steal cable. They are the reason that legit people such as you, myself and many others have to go through crap like this.

To make things worse, if I were to miss an audit call, and they shut down my receivers, I would lose ALL "grandfathered" Hopper credits, $15/Mo until around July 2015.

I have seen wiring schematics for wiring 722s into a hopper system. but i havent heard of anyone getting away with doing it

It most certainly can be done from a technical standpoint. Dish won't allow it from a business standpoint though. You can hook them up, have them all seeing the satellites they need to see, but Dish won't activate them together.

Untrue, as they are still making many of the "no longer made" receivers for Bell Canada....
You are right, according to Echostar's 10K from last year, 4.5% of their sales were to Bell.
Dish does have the option to sell some equipment back to Echostar, but if they are buying it back and using any of it for Bell, they are changing parts of the hardware to show Bell logos and reformatting them with Bell software.
I bet they use a lot of that recovered equipment for Dish Mexico.

I agree. Account stackers are scum.
Scum is a little harsh, some may say they are not "suckers" paying the providers ridiculous fee's.

I do not stack, but do have a receiver at my summer cottage. personally I do not see a issue as no one other than me is at both places.
would be foolish in my eyes to pay two separate bills...
no different than allowing a tailgater.

Scum is a little harsh, some may say they are not "suckers" paying the providers ridiculous fee's.

I do not stack, but do have a receiver at my summer cottage. personally I do not see a issue as no one other than me is at both places.
would be foolish in my eyes to pay two separate bills...
no different than allowing a tailgater.
What you are describing is not account stacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts