Hopper work with Powerline?

theoak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
I know the 722 and 722K can have ethernet using the built in Powerline feature through the power cord.

Does the Hopper have this too?

Dang Lucky ... do you ever sleep??? ;)

With the Hoper with Sling having built in WiFi ... I guess the built in WiFi would connect to one's router. However, I was just wondering if it also supported the Powerline stuff that prior VIP models supported in case the Hopper was in a wireless dead zone. From the sounds of it you are saying "no" and that this new "HIC" has to be used instead?

Dang Lucky ... do you ever sleep??? ;)

With the Hoper with Sling having built in WiFi ... I guess the built in WiFi would connect to one's router. However, I was just wondering if it also supported the Powerline stuff that prior VIP models supported in case the Hopper was in a wireless dead zone. From the sounds of it you are saying "no" and that this new "HIC" has to be used instead?

I'm saying that techs should only use dual sling links in as a last resort. I would hard wire and share the connection via bridging first, then HIC, Wifi and last dual sling links. But if hard wiring isn't an option, I would definitely use Wifi since the HWS has it built in. I personally don't care for sling links due to all the variables that can affect its performance.

I'm running my Hopper connected with TPLINK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704148. It works fine. I added these myself. I originally had a the wireless adapter when it was Hopper was first installed.

Ah, okay, you are using a PowerLine adapter ... its just not built in internally to the Hopper.

I just picked up an ActionTek version for $50, but for other reasons.

There was a NetGear model for $100. I opted for the cheaper ActionTek.

Later I found out why the ActionTek was half the price. While the PowerLine "stuff" is 500Mbits, the Ethernet is only 100MBit; hence, you are going to get capped at 100MBit. The specs on your TPLink are the same having 100MBit Ethernet. Mind you, considering typical internet connections are only 1Bit to 50MBit, 100MBit is more than plenty.

The NetGear model I discovered has Gigabit Ethernet; and hence, has the potential to use all the bandwidth of course at double the cost.

When my Hopper was installed in November the tech who travelled about 1.5 HR to my location and had no HIC with him. My home was wired for Powerline at the time. I saw he had a Sling Link in the truck and I asked him how much to have one of those installed. He said they don't charge for them but they only work with the VIP series receivers. I asked him if we could try it because I had no ethernet near any of my hopper locations. He agreed and we put one in near the Hopper and voilla it worked. I have since built out my home network and am hooked by ethernet now, but Powerline adapter did work in a pinch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts