Hopper3 crashed!

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I tried to turn on my H3 last night. All I got was a blue screen on my tv. I hit the reset button on the H3 and it rebooted with the Starting up Theme with the Kangaroo, but then went back to the blue screen. I unplugged the H3 and got the same results. I unplugged it several times, but always ended up with the blue screen. So, I unplugged it over night. This morning, I plugged it back in and after the starting up screen, the H3 came on and worked normal. I checked and I had got the H363 software on the 5th of October, but the H3 had worked after that. I do not have any idea of the reason , for this glitch. Anyone else seen this on their H3? Is my H3 starting to go out?

Do you have any Joeys hooked up? Were they still working when this happened? Or were they saying "Looking for Hooper" or a similar error?

If they were still functional, it could be something as simple as a bad HDMI cable/connection. If they weren't, it could be a failing Hopper.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It is not a cable. I checked that. The H3 will now reboot to thru the Startup screen, but then goes dark and the tv says no signal. Luckily I moved all my recordings to an external hard drive, just in case the H3 was going bad. I called Dish and they are sending me a new Hopper 3 at no charge.

Last edited:
It is not a cable. I checked that. The H3 will now reboot to thru the Startup screen, but then goes dark and the tv says no signal. Luckily I moved all my recordings to an external hard drive, just in case the H3 was going bad. I called Dish and they are sending me a new Hopper 3 at no charge.
Ahh, that sounds like a bad/failing power supply. So yep, you're right that a new Hopper is probably what you need.

One last thing... and they may have suggested this already..

Is the Hopper plugged into a power strip/surge protector? Or directly into the outlet?

On my Hopper 3, when I was using a (stupidly expensive) surge protector...it did NOT like that. It would run perfectly for a week or so, then my recordings would dissappear, or the Wireless Joey wouldn't connect, or give me a blue screen..etc. just random stupid stuff.

But once I plugged it straight into the outlet... no more issues. Maybe try that if you're using a strip?

Is green power light on while its on the blue no signal screen? And like mentioned already, is there joeys and are they working? If no to those then yes its probably the hopper power supply. But if you answered yes it could be a bad hdmi cable. When the hopper boots up it runs through all the resolutions so when it shows 480p that's when you see the startup screen but when it moves to 720p and 1080i if the hdmi is damaged then it won't handle HD resolutions. So I'd definitely try changing the hdmi.

The green power light never comes on, just the red one. It is either off or on, but never green. No joeys. Changed cables several times and now all my HDMI cables are 48gbps cables.Plugged the H3 directly into the HDMI input on back of tv and even tried two different inputs. Been using and APC 500 backup/surge suppresser for 20 years. Never had any problem with an APC backup. But I will plug directly into wall outlet. I have only had it 2 1/2 years. It was remanufactured.

Last edited:
If red light is on its recording. Which means it's technically working. So most likely the hdmi port is failing. I bet if you swapped to component it would have picture. But doesn't really matter since you already have a replacement on the way.

I already received my replacement Hopper3 today. Dish agreed to replace it yesterday and I received a Brand New (not remanufactured) H3 today by UPS. My tv only has HDMI inputs. No component inputs on TV. I do not do colors, but my wife says it is red and it was not recording or doing anything. It was dead after the starting up logo ran.
Really like the automated setup. Ran smoothly.

I already received my replacement Hopper3 today. Dish agreed to replace it yesterday and I received a Brand New (not remanufactured) H3 today by UPS. My tv only has HDMI inputs. No component inputs on TV. I do not do colors, but my wife says it is red and it was not recording or doing anything. It was dead after the starting up logo ran.
Really like the automated setup. Ran smoothly.
Keep in mind to let that new H3 settle in for 2 to 3 days to get everything working correctly.

I do not really care. My old receiver was a reman, and it was stated in the ID tag, but this new (to me) H3 did not state that it was a reman. The software is H336 and I like the way it works. Has there anything been added between H336 and H363 that is a benefit that I would need or just updates that screwed the H3 receiver up?

I do not really care. My old receiver was a reman, and it was stated in the ID tag, but this new (to me) H3 did not state that it was a reman. The software is H336 and I like the way it works. Has there anything been added between H336 and H363 that is a benefit that I would need or just updates that screwed the H3 receiver up?
Not really anything new or that you'd notice. But as you know from reading on here there's been lots of bugs.
It will probably update overnight to 363 or 364.