Hopper3 Largest External HD, Maximum # of Hard Drives? Latest Info?

BuddTX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
Hello, looking at these two links, it looks like I can add up to 20 TB, (see details and links below) (article says 20, but 3x7=21, so I wonder if it is 20 or 21 TB?)
¹ External hard drive capacity requirements:Connected to Hopper: minimum 320 GB, maximum 7 TB
and
-All models of Hopper will allow up to 7 TB external hard drives per each of 3 USB port so You can now add up to three 7 TB (Max) external hard drives. Since 7TB HDDs are not available in the market yet, 6TB HDDs would be the maximum available size.

I wonder what would happen if you used a >7TB hard drive. Would the Hopper3 format the entire HD, or just up until the Linux limit, if there is a Linux limit? So my thoughts are to buy at least a 8 TB external HD, and let the Hopper max out the HD.

However, I am tempted to buy a WD 18 TB external HD, (or similar) and hook it up to my Hopper3, and see what happens.

I am also tempted to buy "just" the internal 3.5 HD, and put it in a external, powered case (probably Vantec or Startech, so as to get the "better" Hard Drive from WD. I heard that Seagate - WD etc. reserve the best HD for stand alone internal HD, and the "good but not great" HD go into their external storage devices.

Anyone tried this already?
Thoughts?
Anyone have any newer info?
Thanks!

That article is from 2020 and we have had plenty of anecdotal testimony from members here that the 7TB limit is for total external drives not for each external drive connected, so their interpretation is incorrect.

I downloaded and read the Hopper 3 pdf from top to bottom. Some useful info in there, but no answer to my question. This relates to an EHD question I have: I have put two movies (different movies, they happen to have the same title) on one of my EHDs. It shows the movie in the DVR list and the number 2 in the bottom right corner of the image. Great, I have both movies. How do I access the second the second one? When I select the movie, it only gives me the option to watch (or resume) or delete the movie. I can't figure out how to access the other movie that has the same name, but is a different movie. I've tried to manage the programs, but don't want to move it back to the internal drive to watch it.

So, obviously I'm missing something that's probably pretty obvious and would appreciate some help. :)

Didn't want to start a new thread, since this thread is sort of close (deals with EHDs).

Thanks!

Reactions: charlesrshell
I downloaded and read the Hopper 3 pdf from top to bottom. Some useful info in there, but no answer to my question. This relates to an EHD question I have: I have put two movies (different movies, they happen to have the same title) on one of my EHDs. It shows the movie in the DVR list and the number 2 in the bottom right corner of the image. Great, I have both movies. How do I access the second the second one? When I select the movie, it only gives me the option to watch (or resume) or delete the movie. I can't figure out how to access the other movie that has the same name, but is a different movie. I've tried to manage the programs, but don't want to move it back to the internal drive to watch it.

So, obviously I'm missing something that's probably pretty obvious and would appreciate some help. :)

Didn't want to start a new thread, since this thread is sort of close (deals with EHDs).

Thanks!
I haven't seen anything like that but I don't have two movies with the same title. Could you share the movie title?

Thanks!
If there are two with the same name and it only shows one, tab up to the Episodes tab at the top of the selection when you select the movie. At that point it will show all different versions you have stored. I've had that problem with War of the Worlds and Journey to the Center of the Earth and movies like that, that don't have serialized episodes but are called the same thing.

So just tab up to the 2nd tab (Episodes) and you'll see each on with the date it was recorded.

If there are two with the same name and it only shows one, tab up to the Episodes tab at the top of the selection when you select the movie. At that point it will show all different versions you have stored. I've had that problem with War of the Worlds and Journey to the Center of the Earth and movies like that, that don't have serialized episodes but are called the same thing.

So just tab up to the 2nd tab (Episodes) and you'll see each on with the date it was recorded.
Excellent! :) I knew I was missing something simple and easy. In this case, I have several movies like this (War of the Worlds, yep, Journey to the Center of the Earth, yep, and additionally, in my case, Godzilla (2008) and Godzilla (2014)).

Thank you very much! :)

Excellent! :) I knew I was missing something simple and easy. In this case, I have several movies like this (War of the Worlds, yep, Journey to the Center of the Earth, yep, and additionally, in my case, Godzilla (2008) and Godzilla (2014)).

Thank you very much! :)
Yeah, and I had to find it with pure couch potato experimentation. There is not a lick of documentation that I've been able to find that specifies that is the way it works. Honestly, I think the first time I found it was a complete fluke.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Yeah, and I had to find it with pure couch potato experimentation. There is not a lick of documentation that I've been able to find that specifies that is the way it works. Honestly, I think the first time I found it was a complete fluke.
That's the thing...I read the entire pdf on using the Hopper 3. Lots of good tips on the UI and apps and personalization of the UI, but nothing, not a word about duplicate named movies stored on EHD (not even in the section on an EHD!) or how to access the same-named movies on an EHD. A huge oversight by whoever wrote the manual (IMHO).

That's why I found a topic related to the Hopper 3 and EHDs and even though it's not specifically the issue I was having, I figured giving the topic a little bump was better than starting a new topic... :)

You have that wrong. Each Hopper3 can handle 3 EHDs at one time for a total of 7TB combined.
Hey Bobby, quick question. So is that an 8TB EHD (that actually formats out under 8, but over 7) or a 6TB (or 7TB EHD), which both would format out under 7? 7TB drives are out there, but not overly common. The drive industry tended to go in even numbers... Thanks!

Hey Bobby, quick question. So is that an 8TB EHD (that actually formats out under 8, but over 7) or a 6TB (or 7TB EHD), which both would format out under 7? 7TB drives are out there, but not overly common. The drive industry tended to go in even numbers... Thanks!
It is 7TB as the drive is sold. So, if you bought a 6TB drive and a 1TB drive it will/should work. But a 6 TB with a 2TB drive won't, or shouldn't. We have one poster here who allegedly made that work but nobody else has proven that.

It is 7TB as the drive is sold. So, if you bought a 6TB drive and a 1TB drive it will/should work. But a 6 TB with a 2TB drive won't, or shouldn't. We have one poster here who allegedly made that work but nobody else has proven that.
Ok, thanks, that helps a lot! Back when I had a 622 and then a 722k, I just hooked up an 8-port hub and presently have 5 2TB (power-switch enclosures) EHDs on the hub so I could turn on one at a time and watch what movies I have archived depending on genre (one drive has action-adventure movies, another, mostly sci-fi, another has concerts, another, westerns, etc, etc). So what I'm pondering is some degree of consolidation to 1) reduce the number of drives over there and, 2) the oldest drive there is getting close to a decade in age and I think it'd be a good idea to migrate archived stuff to new drives because there's stuff over there that simply can't be replaced as the channels those concerts aired on simply don't exist anymore.

If I do this right, I think I can easily get this down to 3 power-switched drives (and give myself room to add more stuff to the 3rd drive)...