Hopper3 & Lip Sync

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Low Timer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Good evening. Lately, I have been having problems with lip sync on various channels, has anyone recently had these problems? Lip sync issues seem to be worse on recorded local stations. If you had lip sync problems, were you able to find a solution?

Thanks

Good evening. Lately, I have been having problems with lip sync on various channels, has anyone recently had these problems? Lip sync issues seem to be worse on recorded local stations. If you had lip sync problems, were you able to find a solution?

Thanks
I've noticed it only on news broadcasts and then only when they show a previously recorded outtake from some other source.

never seen it.
just out of curiosity, what connection cable are you using? and what quality? that would probably be my first suspect...

never seen it.
just out of curiosity, what connection cable are you using? and what quality? that would probably be my first suspect...

The cable from the antenna, hub to receiver is the RG6 installed by Dish. The HDMI cable from the receiver to TV is a 22 gauge from Monoprice. There has been no changes in my installation since the Hopper3 was installed, but these lip sync issues have come an gone over the past couple of months. Seem to notice them more on locals.

Thanks

Currently, my wife is watching channel 180 with bad lip sync. Anyone have a moment to check their 180 on their Hopper3?

Thanks

I noticed this with a recording of this week's "The Expanse" about halfway thru the audio and video were noticeably out of sync. Haven't seen it since.

Reactions: Bobby
I noticed this with a recording of this week's "The Expanse" about halfway thru the audio and video were noticeably out of sync. Haven't seen it since.
The Expanse issue was across many providers, satellite and cable. That was fixed at a second showing.

Currently, my wife is watching channel 180 with bad lip sync. Anyone have a moment to check their 180 on their Hopper3?

Thanks
Obviously way later than you, but I'm watching it now without any issue at all... the old movie Grease is on...
how bad is the delay?
is it in the commercials or the program or both?
is it TV audio or a speaker system?
I would check all audio settings on the TV and the hopper (and audio receiver if used)
and, if possible, swap out the HDMI cable or try the 5-colored cables (component I think)

never seen it.
Cable is NOT going to cause a video and audio to be out of sync unless the video is noticeably freezing or pixelating.

Lip sync issues are generally introduced at the content provider but there is a chance the satellite system could exacerbate it. I've seen national and local news broadcasts WAY off one day then fine the next.

I have seen lip sync issues on DVR playback. Quite often, pausing then resuming or skipping forward/back will eliminate it. I haven't seen this in a very long time, possibly before I got the Hopper 3.

Most modern TVs have some amount of video delay. Audio FROM the TV will be corrected for this delay but if you are using an AV receiver and getting audio directly from the source (not back-fed from the TV), audio must be delayed. Typical delays are a couple of TV frames (30-70 mS). It also may vary depending on the mode the TV is in and what type of signal it is processing. My current LG OLED TV and Pioneer Elite receiver handshake over HDMI to correct for the TV's delay. If your components don't automatically set lip sync, you may need to do it manually.

I was watching a program using Bluetooth ears and was unwatchable due to audio lag.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

My Bluetooth headset was noticeably bad. When I sat on the headset and destroyed it, I got one that plugs into the audio output of the Hopper. It is much better.

I was watching a program using Bluetooth ears and was unwatchable due to audio lag.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app
I think Bluetooth compresses the audio before it's sent so yes there is going to be additional latency and exacerbate lip sync.

The good news is audio is almost always early compared to video by the time it gets displayed on a TV and most AV receivers have audio delay to compensate. But if the audio is already late as it could be with bluetooth processing there's little you can do about it.

Dish receivers have no way of adjusting video/audio delays.

Reactions: bspei
Cable is NOT going to cause a video and audio to be out of sync unless the video is noticeably freezing or pixelating.

Lip sync issues are generally introduced at the content provider but there is a chance the satellite system could exacerbate it. I've seen national and local news broadcasts WAY off one day then fine the next.

I have seen lip sync issues on DVR playback. Quite often, pausing then resuming or skipping forward/back will eliminate it. I haven't seen this in a very long time, possibly before I got the Hopper 3.

Most modern TVs have some amount of video delay. Audio FROM the TV will be corrected for this delay but if you are using an AV receiver and getting audio directly from the source (not back-fed from the TV), audio must be delayed. Typical delays are a couple of TV frames (30-70 mS). It also may vary depending on the mode the TV is in and what type of signal it is processing. My current LG OLED TV and Pioneer Elite receiver handshake over HDMI to correct for the TV's delay. If your components don't automatically set lip sync, you may need to do it manually.

This is exactly what I'm experiencing with the Hopper3. The lip sync seems to move around to different channels with locals appearing to be worse and DVR recordings. i have the same problem with an audio system as well as TV speakers. This problem started coming and going a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)