Hopper3 WiFi signal strength fluctuation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Falcon195

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
Ohio
I have noticed that when I check the WiFi signal strength on my new Hopper3 I see the signal strength will fluctuate 30 to 40 points constantly. One moment I have 85% signal the next moment it may go down to 55% or so. Then the signal strength goes back up.

This kind of fluctuation runs pretty constantly.
I called Dish and the tech. wasn't sure if it is a software issue or a hardware issue, or if it is an issue at all. I have a a newer Linksys WiFi router and the signal hasn't been an issue with my other devices.

I have software version U511 which is the latest version and the Transceiver firmware version is 12.
Can somebody please check their WiFi signal meter on the Hopper3 and see if you get the same kind of fluctuations?
Thanks

Last edited:
I have noticed that when I check the WiFi signal strength on my new Hopper3 I see the signal strength will fluctuate 30 to 40 points constantly. One moment I have 85% signal the next moment it may go down to 55% or so. Then the signal strength goes back up.

This kind of fluctuation runs pretty constantly.
I called Dish and the tech. wasn't sure if it is a software issue or a hardware issue, or if it is an issue at all. I have a a newer Linksys WiFi router and the signal hasn't been an issue with my other devices.

I have software version U511 which is the latest version and the Transceiver firmware version is 12.
Can somebody please check there WiFi signal meter and see if you get the same kind of fluctuations?
Thanks

That sounds like you might have some kind of interference. Is this 2G or 5G?

Reactions: navychop
Yes my Hopper3 shows two separate SSID's for my router, one for 2G and another for 5G. I connected to the SSID with the higher signal strength. Not sure if it is the 2G or 5G SSID as the router doesn't specify which is which. But like I said I connected to the SSID with the stronger signal strength.
My WiFi router is a Linksys N600 dual band. I just switched to the second SSID to see if it works better.

Yes my Hopper3 shows two separate SSID's for my router, one for 2G and another for 5G. I connected to the SSID with the higher signal strength. Not sure if it is the 2G or 5G SSID as the router doesn't specify which is which. But like I said I connected to the SSID with the stronger signal strength.
My WiFi router is a Linksys N600 dual band.

The one with the higher signal strength is probably the 2G one which is much more sensitive to interference than the 5G one. Have you tried the other one?

Yes tried the 5G channel and I still get the fluctuations in the signal strength from 54% all the way up to 90% signal strength.

There can be multiple causes. Start with the distance from router to Hopper. Than look for a microwave or other electronics near the router or Hopper. Wall construction etc.
An N600 router is old technology. An AC class router at least AC 3000 might provide better results.

I have a H3 my router is like 10ft away from it no obstructions goes from 75 to 100% for the last year or so constantly, I would think unless you have connection problems just ignore it. check your apps[youtubes a good one to check] for connection problems.
Yes tried the 5G channel and I still get the fluctuations in the signal strength from 54% all the way up to 90% signal strength.

Reactions: pattykay
I don't know about fluctuations, but on my Computer, if I switch to WiFi and on my Phone, I get about 150 Mb/s down - while on the Hopper I get like 50 using 5G band

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)