Hoppers and etherent preferred setup

darrengs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 13, 2012
NJ
I have 2H/3J setup, I also have a HIC (that is currently not hooked up). In the beginning I was having weird issues with my Hoppers. Basically unplugging everything from ethernet including the HIC, and then only plugging ethernet only into my "main" Hopper did seem to correct the problems. I have been running this set up for a couple of months now with no real issues, then the other day my son went to watch something on demand on the non-ethernet connected Hopper and was unable to.

So this leads me to my question what is the best setup for connecting all devices to my ethernet network?

Should I reinstall the HIC and have ethernet only going to it?
Do I plug both Hoppers into ethernet again and see if the updates have corrected the issues I was having?
Is there another preferred setup?

Have you tried plugging both of them directly into your Ethernet hub,switch whatever mine work great. I have never had a HIC. Now watch the whole system will come down on my head after putting it in writing.

Have you tried plugging both of them directly into your Ethernet hub,switch whatever mine work great. I have never had a HIC. Now watch the whole system will come down on my head after putting it in writing.

I did have them both plugged in and was experiencing weird behavior such as Hoppers restarting, requiring red button restarts and Joeys not connecting.

I did have them both plugged in and was experiencing weird behavior such as Hoppers restarting, requiring red button restarts and Joeys not connecting.

Oh when they installed my system all they did was just plug both hoppers into the network. Now on the other hand my joey's are used infrequently so I have never had a problem and they are all on a direct line no splitters or anything they come straight from the node (there are splitters on the node for them). Everything is done that way in my house though because when dish first came out eons ago they had to run all new RG6 lines due to my old lines could not handle the signal(they spent 2 hours trying to save the old stuff gave up and ripped it all out and and started over.), so my house was ready for a hopper joey system.