Hoppers Constantly Making Noise When Off

az99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I noticed recently that both my Hoppers are making an almost constant grinding,clicking, hard drive of a computer type noise. It is loud enough that when in bed it is annoying.The LR unit has started do the same also. It does not matter if it is turned off or on. Nothing is recording. Why do these things never shut down?
Anyone have any suggestions other than unplugging it?

Thanx

I noticed recently that both my Hoppers are making an almost constant grinding,clicking, hard drive of a computer type noise. It is loud enough that when in bed it is annoying.The LR unit has started do the same also. It does not matter if it is turned off or on. Nothing is recording. Why do these things never shut down?

Thanx
Get used to the sound. Dvrs are constantly running they are powered down only when unplugged.

Thanx

If this is a change, and the noises are significantly louder, it might be signs of impending disc failure. You might want to move anything really important to an EHD, just in case.

Does it sound like it could be the fan activating and spinning? If so, if you put an external fan on it, I have read cases that that will improve the life and quality of your DVr. Even the USB laptop fans trays.

And all my TiVo's have a never ceasing fan noise. DVR's make noise becaue they are NEVER truly "Powered Down" just in standby mode, but DVR's need to be always on because they need to record shows and they also perform other maint. with the HDD. So, the HDD never stops spinning, and this creates HEAT, so the fans never cease, at least on TiVo's, so they can keep the unit cool. Dish boxes usually don't have the fan active unless it get TOO hot (dangerously so for the HDD). So, while my TiVo's do make more noise in standby, they stay cooler no matter what, while Dish has a legacy of complaints about its DVR's fans making noise in bedrooms, especially, so Dish, as of the last several years, has decided to keep the fan OFF unless things get to a critical temperature. I really take the TiVo method, as my brother keeps getting the "Unit too HOT . . . will shut down" warning far too often on his Dish 722K. To avoid it, one has to take extraordinary measures with Dish boxes like use casters to elevate the DVR so that air can circulate UNDER the unit, where the fan is located, as well.

For the one Hopper that is in a cabinet, I had to get a laptop fan/cooler to get the DVR fan to CEASE its high and noisy RPM trying to desperately cool the Hopper. Laptop fan solved the problem. But all this is special knowledge. I'll take a reasonable fan speed noise (not too high a speed because that is noisy) to special Dish solutions. Further, except for the base Roamio unit, TiVo's have always had their fans located at the REAR of the box and their fans to a good job of cooling, but Dish has their fans on the BOTTOM of the box. It seems a very UN-intuitive place for a fan and it seems less effective than TiVo's fan at the rear. Yes, the Hopper has a fan on the side, but it sure has big problems (very noisy) keeping the Hopper cool in the cabinet, while the TiVo Premiere in the same cabinet uses its fan at a slower speed (MUCH less noise) to keep it at normal temp. I can also say that the TiVo fans have been bigger while Dish's are smaller.

Both of mine make noise, but after having a computer in my barracks room in the Army, it's almost like white noise. Never been anything obtrusive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts