Hopping from a 922 to a Hopper...no Joey

blackjackmark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Central IL
I have a unique situation than most in that it's just me in the house. I currently have a 922 from which I use the HDMI output to feed the bedroom TV through an HDMI to Ethernet converter. The big TV in the living room is fed off the component output from the 922. I then use the RF output on the 922 to feed the other two small SD TVs (19") in the house, all in solo mode.

From what I've gathered, I will use the Composite output from the Hopper into an RF modulator to feed the two SDTVs. I will then do the same thing on the Hopper for HD as I do today on the 922. (Feed the HDMI through the ethernet comnnection to the bedroom, and the main TV through the component. A concern had been the potential for Dish to start downconverting the component output to 480 but the consensus from an earlier post sounds like Dish will only do that if forced to do so by the owners of the programming.

So, I should be able to do this all with existing wiring and the existing $10 fee. (However, it sounds like the Solo Node for the Hopper will need TWO feeds from the Dish. Right now I have the 922 fed from a wsingle cable from the Dish, so that may be a slight, but easy change of simply mounthing that Solo Node outside (hopefully its weather-resistant like the other setups?). That single feed will go into the basement to the tap, which will then feed the Hoopper and possible future Joeys.

With all this, I gain a faster box, PTAT, double the usable hard drive space (from 500GB to 1TB) and a third tuner. I will give up OTA but I only reliably get two of the four networks anyway on it, so I only use those in instances of needing three broadcast network recordings at once...which I will no longer need due to PTAT. I also give up Sling, but it NEVER works for me anyway....and I could still add a Slig Adapter. I also gain the ability to easily add Joeys for HD if I ever get a whim and upgrade to a bigger TV in the office, kitchen or guest room.

My fee should remain at $10.

Have I missed anything?

I have a unique situation than most in that it's just me in the house. I currently have a 922 from which I use the HDMI output to feed the bedroom TV through an HDMI to Ethernet converter. The big TV in the living room is fed off the component output from the 922. I then use the RF output on the 922 to feed the other two small SD TVs (19") in the house, all in solo mode.

From what I've gathered, I will use the Composite output from the Hopper into an RF modulator to feed the two SDTVs. I will then do the same thing on the Hopper for HD as I do today on the 922. (Feed the HDMI through the ethernet comnnection to the bedroom, and the main TV through the component. A concern had been the potential for Dish to start downconverting the component output to 480 but the consensus from an earlier post sounds like Dish will only do that if forced to do so by the owners of the programming.

So, I should be able to do this all with existing wiring and the existing $10 fee. (However, it sounds like the Solo Node for the Hopper will need TWO feeds from the Dish. Right now I have the 922 fed from a wsingle cable from the Dish, so that may be a slight, but easy change of simply mounthing that Solo Node outside (hopefully its weather-resistant like the other setups?). That single feed will go into the basement to the tap, which will then feed the Hoopper and possible future Joeys.

With all this, I gain a faster box, PTAT, double the usable hard drive space (from 500GB to 1TB) and a third tuner. I will give up OTA but I only reliably get two of the four networks anyway on it, so I only use those in instances of needing three broadcast network recordings at once...which I will no longer need due to PTAT. I also give up Sling, but it NEVER works for me anyway....and I could still add a Slig Adapter. I also gain the ability to easily add Joeys for HD if I ever get a whim and upgrade to a bigger TV in the office, kitchen or guest room.

My fee should remain at $10.

Have I missed anything?

That sounds about right and is very close to my current setup.

Mine as well, although I have two HDTVs fed via HDMI (HDCP compatible HDMI splitter and in-wall HDMI between floors). I don't have the component in use any more, but I have a similar component to ethernet function built into my receiver, if I ever want a remote HDTV in the house...

I hate to have to have to add a modulator for the SD TV, but that is what has to happen. I do NOT want a separate feed on that SDTV, which is across the room from one of the HDTVs and often used at the same time to watch the same program - everything in the house needs to watch the same thing at the same time with no audio delays between HD and SD!