Horrible Reception

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rocenos

Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
I've had the HR20 for about 3 months now, with a few problems here and there, but nothing this bad. At first, HD channels were not offered in my area, (Buffalo, NY) so I had to get waivers from my local affiliate to receive DNS service from NYC. I've had those four channels, and they usually work perfectly, up until now at least. I thought that when Buffalo began broadcasting HD locals, I would have to give up my NYC channels, but that hasn't been the case. For a while now, I have been receiving HD channels from Buffalo and HD channels from NYC-- it has been working fine for about a month and a half. I am able to receive HD channels from Buffalo only if I actually enter the number of the channel on the remote. If I go through the guide to find the channel and select it, it is shown in SD, not HD. Now, however, the DNS service channels are showing some horrible quality; even HDNet is. I'm going to provide links below to illustrate what I'm talking about. Should I call DirecTV and ask for a tech to come over and look at the satellite? Thanks for any help you can provide.
HDNet
Jeopardy on ABC
This is a fairly recent check on the signal strength:
Here

On 99(b), I see 100 71 0 76 0 0 in the first row and then the rest are N/A

That does not look good :(

And then on 103(a), I see 95 64 95 77 95 69 and then transponder 17 has a 0, the rest are N/A.

I hope this helps.. Thank you! :)

On 99(b), I see 100 71 0 76 0 0 in the first row and then the rest are N/A

That does not look good :(

And then on 103(a), I see 95 64 95 77 95 69 and then transponder 17 has a 0, the rest are N/A.

I hope this helps.. Thank you! :)

Your local hd channels are on 103 where you have good signal strength, so I don't see that as the issue. I suspect the ABC station you are having trouble with is WABC from NY. Since HD Net and WABC hd are both on the 119 sat, do you have any line of sight problems with 119? Like Harshness said, maybe a branch has grown or the leaves have filled in. What are your signal strengths on 119?

Starting with transponder 22, I see 47 82 46 0 51 52 47 0 46 45 51

Those numbers are a bit low. If you have no los issues, then I think your dish needs to be realigned.

Well it does say: "searching for signal" and then I see what I've posted on imageshack. So I guess the problem is not with my box or anything, it's with the satellite? I guess I'll have to call DirecTV then.

Well it does say: "searching for signal" and then I see what I've posted on imageshack. So I guess the problem is not with my box or anything, it's with the satellite? I guess I'll have to call DirecTV then.

Which channel says searching for signal? And what is imageshack?

Okay, first imageshack is an image-hosting site which I uploaded those above pictures to. Second, something weird happened. WABC is now broadcasting Traveler, and the picture and audio are perfect, nothing is wrong. I don't understand. Also, 72 (ESPN2HD) is having image problems and skips in audio, just like channel 79 (HDNet). Fox 5 is probably the worst (Ch. 88). It is simply unwatchable. I'm confused about ABC though, just earlier today it was saying "searching for signal." Maybe it is just earlier programming? Jeopardy on channel 86 is always like that though, with the major image and audio problems, making it completely unwatchable. Maybe I should just give DirecTV a call and ask them to come take a look?

Okay, first imageshack is an image-hosting site which I uploaded those above pictures to. Second, something weird happened. WABC is now broadcasting Traveler, and the picture and audio are perfect, nothing is wrong. I don't understand. Also, 72 (ESPN2HD) is having image problems and skips in audio, just like channel 79 (HDNet). Fox 5 is probably the worst (Ch. 88). It is simply unwatchable. I'm confused about ABC though, just earlier today it was saying "searching for signal." Maybe it is just earlier programming? Jeopardy on channel 86 is always like that though, with the major image and audio problems, making it completely unwatchable. Maybe I should just give DirecTV a call and ask them to come take a look?

Since all of these channels are on 119, it must be an alignment problem, unless you have line of sight issues. You haven't said if you have a clear view to the satellite. If you do, then it sounds like it's time to have the dish realigned.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)