Horror Story with local installer

Status
Please reply by conversation.
CFLUSFLWFL said:
When I upgraded my system, the installer showed up 4 hours late and then asked me if I had ever installed a system before. I told him that I had installed about 5 systems before, he then asked me if I would install the system myself if he gave me the cable. Even though I knew how to install the system, I made him do it, after all he was getting paid. Anyways, he screwed up the install and I wound up helping him (or should I say, showing him how to install the system). After he left, I called Directv and told them what had happened. The first person I spoke with didn't seem a bit interested, but when I talked to a second person, they gave me a 2 month credit on my bill.

Steve

just curious, what do you mean 4 hours late?

dragon002 said:
just curious, what do you mean 4 hours late?
i'll give that one a shot..typically our time frames are 8-12 and 12-5..That is our window for arrival time at the custs site......i think the poster is stating the tech missed his time frame by 4 hrs...
Of course many times when i precall a cust they ask me to be specific on my arrival time....I let them know that thsi is impossible to determine....As a courtsey I try to narrow it down to a couple of hours.....i do tell them however that if a job before their either takes less time or does not get done I will give them a heads up call letting them knw I will arrrive earlier than planned..Most custs like the courtesy call...Sometimes a cust will dig their heels in and tell me they won't be home until later on as discussed...If I can accomodate them I will. If not I tell them that and they must be present within 30 mins of my arrival or they must reschedule..If it is a long distance drive say 40- 60 miles I will not roll if the cust can't be there...I then have the cust reschedule the job...

dish,

i understand all that and i do the same as you do.
BUT, there are only three possible ways he was 4 hours late.

1. the cx was the first am appt, was promised first and he arrived at noon
2 . the cx was an am appt and he arrived at 4 pm
3. the cx was a pm appt and he arrived at 9 pm.

im thinking it went more like this, cx was an am appt and the tech arrived at around noon OR was a pm appt and he arrived at 4pm or so, BOTH are still within the time frames.

What I meant by 4 hours late was this: The installer said he had a light day and told me he would be there by 3 PM. He showed up at 7 PM. This was an annoyance, but I understand things happen. I was more upset with the fact he tried to duck out of the job by just having ME install the system. When I told him I wanted him to do it, he still needed me to help him, as he could not get a signal, I had to show him how to use the signal meter, etc. I felt like it was his first time doing any of the tasks. The guy was nice and very apologetic.

Steve

CFLUSFLWFL said:
What I meant by 4 hours late was this: The installer said he had a light day and told me he would be there by 3 PM. He showed up at 7 PM. This was an annoyance, but I understand things happen. I was more upset with the fact he tried to duck out of the job by just having ME install the system. When I told him I wanted him to do it, he still needed me to help him, as he could not get a signal, I had to show him how to use the signal meter, etc. I felt like it was his first time doing any of the tasks. The guy was nice and very apologetic.

Steve

well, you had every right to be angry. he was 2 hours late and there is NO excuse for not calling the cx. that is always drilled into a new hires head.
as for him wanting you to install, i dont know where they find some of these people. we arent all like that.

I know not all installers are like this. I just didn't have a good experience that day. For every bad installer, there are probably 100 good ones. Just like in every walk of life.

Steve

I had my D* installed everything seemed to ok, what got my goat was after about 3 months everything messed up all at once. I checked all my own connections that I was able to without getting out a 30 ft extension ladder then finally called and had a service repair man come to my home and check things out for me. Found out that the last installer didn't crimp the connectors on the cable at the LNB's. Of course I couldn't check that cause not having a ladder handy at that particular time, also my 3rd receiver for some unknown reason got fried or something, just wouldn't get any signal. Service dude said that it might have been the connections not making proper connection and messed it up. Anyway if I could find that first installer I would like to give him a piece of my mind, or have him reimburse me for his mistake. Service repairman asked me climb up ladder and inspect the connections for myself and he was right.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)