Hose On Rain Repellent?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have installed every kind of satellite for over 16 year and have own a satellite installation company for 10 years. Beside heave rain the only reason you will lose your signal is from black clouds and a poor signal. RainX works awesome on heave rain but wont do anything for black clouds or weak signal. It is correct that you need to be traveling at least 15mph for light rain to move away with rainX but even if you are at a stop if it is pouring there will be no rain on your windows if RainXis applied properly. RainX works the best if it is pouring that is why you don't need windshield wipers and that also goes for being applies to a dish. If you can get up to your dish i would recommend wiping your dish off with a wet towel let it dry then apply RainX. For the winter time i use Dupont snow and ice. I use it for my snow blower and other metal and plastic tools so the snow, ice and slush won't adhere. If you use this on your dish the snow, ice or slush will slide right of so no need for a broom. Dupont snow and ice is a non stick clear coating "Teflon" product.

I don't know how to tell the exact strength, but it seems good in fair weather and light rain. It is mainly during heavy rain that we lose the signal, it just seems that after the satellite was installed it could hold the signal in even some major storms.

Would using a good hose on car wash or window wash to get any collected dirt and grime be of any benefit?
There is nothing you can apply to the dish that will help with rain fade. It sounds like your dish needs to be realigned. To check the signal strengths, go to menu, settings, satellite, view signal strength. Switch between 101, 99 ab and ac, and 103 ab and ac. Don't worry about the 99s or 103s signals. The numbers should be in the low to mid nineties. If they are lower than the upper eighties, your dish probably needs to be realigned.

Reactions: Jimbo and AZ.
So...I take it that the general consensus is that rain repellent is of no use to the satellite dish? Does that hold true of using some type of cleaner to wash off dirt and grime? Where we live, while I have a clear shot to the skies, there are still a lot of sweet gum trees and oak trees. The sweet gum trees give off sap and black grime that seems to get in the most unbelievable places. Would general maintenance, like cleaning 3 or 4 times a year make any kind of difference with the satellite dish, or can the signal get through all of that grime with no problem?
I would say that you may be the only one that actually MAINTAINS your dish as in washing it ... most let the rain do that. :)
Rainex and other stuff like that doesn't do anything for keeping the signal during a heavy rain storm ... unless you can use it to clear a path between your dish and the Sat !

For what its worth, I have a spray can of "Dome Magic " in the garage, 12oz can, probably 10oz left if you want it, its yours.

Last edited:
Reactions: stardust3
Status
Please reply by conversation.