Hotbird at 13 degrees east

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone ever have any luck getting this on the east coast?

I think it is below the horizon for anyone in the U.S., maybe the coastal Canadians might have LOS? Didn't look but doubt that anything is beamed our way anyways.

I think it is below the horizon for anyone in the U.S., maybe the coastal Canadians might have LOS? Didn't look but doubt that anything is beamed our way anyways.

Yup your right! I must have been looking at a different footprint. BOO

A few years ago I was able to pull feeds off the Russian bird a 14 degrees west here just south of Cincinnati. 6 degrees elevation. The old Russian birds had some transponders pointing west and they did not hold their beam patterns very well. That was back in the days of analog signals. Hotbirds do not broadcast west and they control their beam patterns very well. Unfortunately 13 Est is below they Horizon. I did have a friend on Cape Cod that could hit 1 degree West, that is about it.

Last edited:
Tom Taylor said:
A few years ago I was able to pull feeds off the Russian bird a 14 degrees west here just south of Cincinnati. 6 degrees elevation. The old Russian birds had some transponders pointing west and they did not hold their beam patterns very well. That was back in the days of analog signals. Hotbirds do not broadcast west and they control their beam patterns very well. Unfortunately 13 Est is below they Horizon.

Hi, Mr. Taylor hope all is well. Too bad I am dying to try a prepaid smartcard for service.

To be able to receive Hotbird or Astra,you have to go "more" in the south,like brasil .
But the dish size should be more than 8m.:eek:

Klaus Schumacher(R.I.P) did it,but he was not able to receive
all transponders and these transponders were not receivable the whole day.
Here is a (german)video.
Dr.Dish TV special - YouTube

Hi, Mr. Taylor hope all is well. Too bad I am dying to try
a prepaid smartcard for service.
What provider you want to decode with it?

Perhaps Mr. Shumacher was also only receiving analog signals? I'm not too sure since the youtube videos have been deleted. And most info seems to be in German. This is a good reason to consider carefully when using youtube or similar to distribute information: the videos may not be visible for very long. He sounds like he had the admirable quality of not accepting when somebody said something is impossible. His work was on receiving the Astra satellites at 19.2E. Theoretically, I think what he did could also be done in Nova Scotia or Newfoundland especially since our longitude places us above horizon for the Hotbirds and Astras. And the footprints fall as close to this area as to Brazil. But with digital signals mostly being used now, maybe not.

A group of hobbyists in Japan received permission to borrow a 105-foot dish to use for Earth-Moon-Earth amateur radio communication: Big Dish.
I wonder if similar could be done for satellite TV reception. Imagine what you could do with that.

What provider you want to decode with it?

Open to any. Would like something i can receive on the east coast and a big plus would be some english audio on some of the channels.

any ideas

Thanks

Yes,the english version is deleted,don t know why.:confused:

Mr. Schumacher received to his lifetime all analog(now off!)
and also some digital transponders from Astra .
Also Hotbird and Arabsat he have received digital.
To increase the number of (german digital)transponders
and get more signal stability,he ask for help in the video.
But no one was able to help and fix ,before he died last year!

This man,was and is a pioneer in out-of footprint receiving and
should all show us ,don t trust the footprints!

Many reports showing,it is not impossible.
-Astra in Kenia,
-Hotbird in India,
-Asia and Indian spotted beams-receive in poland and hungary.
-Israel-Beam of Amos in europe
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/206275-dx-bozoth-best-european-dx-er.html
-or the receive of echostar on the isle of tenerife
http://www.tele-satellite.us/TELE-satellite-0907/eng/tenerifedxer.pdf

So, if your are living in a region,were the wanted satellite is above
the horizont and you have big dish and correct equipment,
try it.;)

Last edited:
If you have, or have access to, really big equipment, but need volunteer manpower,
I'm sure others would be willing to help.
Sat-freaks /DXer are helping together and if you need "more" manpower ask friends and
neighbours(so they also can see ,that your are not a spy or alien,lol),buy beef and beer
and after installing, make a big party!

Open to any. Would like something i can receive on the east coast and a big plus would be some english audio on some of the channels.

any ideas

Thanks
Oh,i have thought you bought a smartcard from a hotbird provider.

For the satellites (above horizon)at your destination,use dishpointer.com.
This gives you an overview,what theoretically can be received.
But this is no guarantee for the praxis.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts