Hotel D* - how do they do that?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
I'm staying at a Holiday Inn Express this week, and the LG TV in my room has DirecTV along with a DirecTV remote. I push the guide button and it comes up with the normal blue and black guide and it looks like any DirecTV receiver. The box has a single coax cable running from the wall to the TV and most of the channels are in HD.

What kind of TV or set up do they have to make this possible to work in HD without a box?

It's probably an RF remote to a box on the floor. I stayed at a Hilton Garden that had Directv and guide but a standard TV remote. I like when it's same channel numbers to prevent searching.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Big Dawg 23 said:
It's probably an RF remote to a box on the floor. I stayed at a Hilton Garden that had Directv and guide but a standard TV remote. I like when it's same channel numbers to prevent searching. Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Nope, it's a RVU setup. The tv is the receiver. LG TVs can do this.

What is a DIRECTV Ready TV and how does it work?

A DIRECTV Ready TV has a technology called RVU built in that lets you enjoy DIRECTV service and full HD DVR functionality without a receiver when it’s used as an additional TV in a Genie HD DVR setup. With TVs that are not DIRECTV Ready, a small device called Genie Mini is required to allow them to access the Genie HD DVR.

How do I know if my TV is DIRECTV Ready?
Currently only the following Sony and Samsung LED TV models are DIRECTV Ready:

Brand Year Models
Samsung 2011 D6000, D6400, D6420
2012, 2013 All Smart TVs
Sony 2013 Sony BRAVIA R550A and R520A series

If I already have or plan to get an DIRECTV Ready TV, is there anything I need to do to make it compatible with the Genie HD DVR?
Currently, only the TV models listed here support DIRECTV Ready. More TV models are coming soon. If you have one of these TVs in the list above, please make sure it has the latest TV firmware, which can be downloaded from the Internet. Please follow the instructions in your TVs manual to upgrade your device.

How do I get a DIRECTV Ready TV connected to a Genie HD DVR setup?
If you're ordering new DIRECTV service and would like to connect this TV as an additional TV in your Genie HD DVR setup,
please call 1-888-777-2454.
If you're a current DIRECTV customer and would like to connect this TV as an additional TV in your Genie HD DVR setup,
please call 1-800-531-5000.
Our general customer service is available daily from 8 AM to 1 AM ET. One of our friendly and highly trained representatives will be happy to assist you.

It's interesting that a lot of channels show up in the guide but some are missing like BTN and FS1. But if I tune to those channel numbers directly it works.

Do hotels do RVU? I thought it would be some kind of commercial install...

There's also a Holiday Inn logo next to the channel logo:

image.jpg

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Georgetown, KY that has the same setup. It just remodeled and was converted from a Holiday Inn to a Holiday Inn Express.

It's called a DRE system. Basically all the receivers are networked together, and the receiver is built into the television, or in some cases mounted behind the television or dresser.

There is a central server in the building that is tied to the check in system.

When you check out the receiver is reset to factory defaults.

Also if the hotel has DVR in each room, the system will clear the DVR play list upon checking out.

It's called a DRE system. Basically all the receivers are networked together, and the receiver is built into the television, or in some cases mounted behind the television or dresser.

There is a central server in the building that is tied to the check in system.

When you check out the receiver is reset to factory defaults.

Also if the hotel has DVR in each room, the system will clear the DVR play list upon checking out.
Interesting ....

I'm actually certified to install these types of systems.

Not really different than a residential system, just requires a decca for every 8 receivers and then all the deccas get networked together with eithernet or fiber switches.

Then 1 big central server behind the front desk

I've only seen old DRE systems using bunch of D12's each brodcasting one channel to all TVs in the hotel. No access to channel guide, just standard TV channels. You wont even know its directv when ur watching.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)