Houston HD Locals

I wish I knew which satellite they are going to be on (61.5 or 129). The guy is coming out May 14 (Sunday after next). The tech had told me I would not need new dishes (have the two 500's) with one of them pointing to 61.5 and the other to 110/119. In reading on the forum I see where south of Victoria can't use the 1000. Victoria is 4 hours south of me. The way I am comprehending this, if the HD locals are on 129 I will need to get them out here again to turn my DISH that direction. If I get the 1000, I will be covered with all 4 satellites. I think I will try to get hold of them to see if the installer will bring a 1000 Dish with him. Hopefully this will not be an ordeal.

BFG said:
Houston Locals will be on 110

You mean the High def locals will be on 110 , right? What about the sd Houston locals? Will they be split up over the 119 spotbeam 5 and the 110 spotbeam 4? I've yet to get a straight answer on this one yet.

Just get an OTA antenna.

I live in Cypress, just under 30 miles to the antenna farm in Sugarland, and I get the locals all 90%+ with just a standard unpowered OTA.

hey y'all, i live off hwy 1488 just north of the woodlands. i'm about 45 miles from the towers. is it possible to get ota from here without a special high powered antenna in my attic of roof? tia.

I'm at Rayford Rd. and I-45 and I don't have a problem receiving locals.

How is your SD OTA reception? I've been told that, if you can receive the SD OTA channels in the slightest, you'll be able to get their HD equivalent. I think it's probably "easier" to lock onto the digital signal than the analog. If I were you, I'd get an antena and try it out. If it doesn't work, return the antena. Rumor is that HD locals for Houston should be here within days if you go through E*.

skyblues ... are you upgrading to a 622 ... ? If so, then the dish 1000 is included with the install. I would rather have the 1 dish over the 2.

If your in the Galveston area your only about 35-40 miles from the antenna farm in SL. Have you actually tried an OTA antenna ...? If not, go with Chet's suggestion and try it out. I believe you would be much better pleased with the OTA picture quality vs. what E* will deliver in HD.

I have the 942 and an OTA antenna I got from radio shack for less than 50 buscks and get great picture quality with it. Of course, I am near hwy 6 and Arcola.

Thanks Bosco, but though I'm on the coast I am a good ways south of Galveston. The quality of antenna reception here is not that great. I have two 500 dishes already, and after reading here for this week, feel confident that since the Houston channels will more than likely stay on 110, which I get with good strong signals already and am grateful they will not be on 129 which is the only satellite I don't currently get, that I am set. I think the 622 will be a good transition.

I live in Kingwood north of Houston. I just got home from work and noticed that there are three new channels:
6389 ABC Channel 13
6390 CBS Channel 11
6392 Fox Channel 26

I believe these have also been automatically inserted into their corresponding local channel number slot (i.e. 11, 13, 26) as I have HD priority selected for Satellite locals. I can't tell for sure because the programming on right now is not HD.

I wonder what happened to NBC, WB and some of the other local channels that have OTA HD broadcast.

Last edited:
Yep, Houston HD locals are up and running on:
6389-KTRK (ABC) 13
6390-KHOU (CBS) 11
6392-KRIV (FOX) 26

Missing in action is KPRC (NBC) 2. Maybe they'll slip into the 6391 slot soon.

I was wondering why I lost my ABC OTA HD timers. They made my wife miss the first 15 minutes of Alias tonight. I was wondering what did that.

Does this mean that we're going to be losing timers like all of the other poor soles that have had HD locals thus far? :(

Originally posted by jtthirty
Yep, Houston HD locals are up and running on:
6389-KTRK (ABC) 13
6390-KHOU (CBS) 11
6392-KRIV (FOX) 26

Missing in action is KPRC (NBC) 2. Maybe they'll slip into the 6391 slot soon.

I guess you need to have one of the new VIP receivers in order to view them in HD, cause my 942 doesn't. :( Another reason to upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts