Houston OTA channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
Since channels 11 and 13 have gone back to the VHF range, my great Channel Master 4228 antenna is now getting a lower signal on those channels. But what's weird is that I have 2 DVRs hooked up to the antenna. Both are a HR20/700 running the latest 0x312 software.

13-1 has about a 86% strength which is fine but 11-1 is the real problem. On one DVR I get zero signal and the other I get about 70%.

Any idea why I'm not getting any signal for that channel on the one DVR???

4228 is a uhf antenna VHF uses longer wave lengths so the lower the channel the further the wavelength is from optimal reception. The further you are away from the broadcast location the less signal there is to receive. How are those for guesses.

4228 is a uhf antenna VHF uses longer wave lengths so the lower the channel the further the wavelength is from optimal reception. The further you are away from the broadcast location the less signal there is to receive. How are those for guesses.

It has been reported that the 4228 does work for VHF as well, justr not as well as UHF.

Most of the channels are UHF anyways, although, not all ...

Supposedly the 4228 does channels 9-13 which means that I should be able to pick up 11 and 13 with no problem. I am on the one DVR but not the other. Now on the other today I am getting 11-1 at 50% on one tuner but not the other. The other DVR is still working fine.

Is anybody else seeing this or am I at the point in requiring another OTA antenna? Any recommendations that's similar in strength?

dcwebman:

The 4228 often works fine on upper VHF channels 7-13. If your 11.1 is coming in on one DVR but not the other, you must be getting adequate signal from the station, but your signal distribution is somehow flawed in your system. Try to isolate the problem by temporarily trying a few individual tests (one at a time): reversing the coax lines going to your two DVRs, reversing your antenna splitter (sometimes one side outputs stronger than the other), taking the splitter out of line and connecting the antenna directly to each DVR individually. By doing these one at a time, and checking signal strengths on your 11.1 (and 13.1) each time, you should be able to figure out at what location in your wiring scheme you are losing your 11.1 signal. Maybe one of your connectors is bad, or maybe your splitter is bad or has uneven output, or maybe one of your DVRs is more sensitive than the other. Hope this is helpful...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)