Houston Tracker I manual ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radeohedca

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Ontario
Looking for a scanned manual for the subject unit.
I'll settle for the pinout of the connectors.

Anyone ?

Thanks !

It would be a shame to have to throw it away just because it's easier to get a manual for a newer model.
I'll ring it out if I have to... a manual would have been helpful.

what kind of pinout of the connectors are you looking for ?
if its the motor connectors & feedhorn connecters most all are universal
or is it a special cable to a seperate antenna positioner ( mover)

The box has 2 inline Molex type connectors on the back. One is 4 pin, the other is 3. See attached pictures.

I would image 2 wires are for the actuator motor, 2 for the pulse reed relay then 3 others ??

I'd be interested to know what the V and H buttons do as well. And how do you zero or calibrate the box against the actuator ?

(Maybe this box doesn't do what I think it does, or it's made for a specific system !?!)

Attachments

• Hston_Tkr_I.jpg
    Hston_Tkr_I.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 205
  • Hston_Tkr_I_Frnt.jpg
    Hston_Tkr_I_Frnt.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
I should never assume. I assumed you had a complete system. You do not. That is the mover half and needs to be connected to the matching C-band IRD to function. Echostar's early receiver's (We're talking C-band here, model 310 and SRD 3000 for instance) were not capable of moving a dish by themselves and required a separate mover which was the Houston Tracker module (Models 1 & 2). Eventually as models evolved the functions were combined into one unit and were marketed both as Echostar and HTS (Models 3 and up).

I have a manual for the tracker 2 which look just like the tracker 1 the difference is the lack of polarity on the tracker 2 but i have the pinout for the 4 conductor plug which goes to the actuator the 3 conductor plug is for polarity

I'll take a scan of your Tracker II manual there Hotdog.

I realize that newer IRDs have the control functionality built-in but I really don't need an IRD. I just need the controller to allow me to move the dish for Ham Radio moonbounce ("EME") operation.
I was going to build one using a micro and LCD display until I discovered that the old Houston Tracker boxes will (I believe) do what I want.

Last edited:
I can scan it tonight when i get home from work but the pinout is very simple. one side of the plug is arrow shaped the other has a flat . They are numberd from 1 on the arrow side to 4 on the flatside. 1 & 2 are for the left & right limits (potentiometer sensors). 3 & 4 are motor power. When pressing the up button if the motor retracts you must reverse the motor wires (4 & 3) If the motor wires are not connected properly the limits will not work which may cause actuator overtravel.

Thanks Hotdog !

So the position is determined by a voltage divider potentiometer ? No pulse counter in these Houston Trackers ?
The actuator I am planning on using has a reed relay output that gives xx pulses per inch of travel. It has limit switches built-in.
Maybe this HT isn't what I need !?

Last edited:
Houston tracker 1

Does anybody have the pin and color code for the 4 pin connection
and for the 3 pin.
Im looking for the book
TX figueira

After probing around with this Houston Tracker I it would appear that the position readout wants to see a voltage from a potentiometer as opposed to being a pulse counter.
Does anyone know if the latter models of HTs (3,4,5 ...) use the pulse counter method ?

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts