How Are Superstations Uplinked?

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I recently subscribed to the Superstations and Bloomberg ala carte as I have several times in the past when able to have a satellite dish. I remember that I never wanted to use KWGN due to an obvious analog "ghost" however now it appears to my eyes to be the clearest CW signal. It also seems that their prime time CW shows are Zoomed in and not letter-boxed which I actually prefer as it fills my 4:3 screen.
This has lead me to hypothesize that KWGN's ATSC signal is being received and converted to 4:3 then up-linked to satellite. I believe that the other Superstations have always been delivered by way of digital direct connection. I feel KTLA has always looked a bit fuzzy and am hoping that after the digital conversion next February they will have no choice but to deliver the ATSC version whether it is picked up OTA or over a fiber cable.
Does anyone have any thoughts or information on this matter? My searches on this subject mostly brought up discussions on whether or not Superstations will continue ( I believe they will ) but I would like to be able to anticipate improved picture quality.

most of the major markets Dish & Direct are now uplinking the digital version of the local instead of the analog version (obviously preparing for 2/17/09) so its possible the picture is better :)

When I had the superstations a couple years ago I always recorded WB and UPN shows on the superstations because the picture was much better than in the local package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts