Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
I would imagine you could get one for free. Just tell them that OTA is important to you, and you wont switch withough it. That SHOULD do it.

Edit: this is not a troll attempt is it?????:) Kidding

Rey

@ your service
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2008
Florida
Or order it directly from the DirecTV web site for $50 + $5 for 2nd day shipping. However the account must show a HR21/22/23 as an active receiver for the AM21 to show up for ordering.

also you might get it for free vampz. or they might give you a discount like i got. I paid $25 for my AM21. all you have to do is call and ask once you're set up.

vampz,the dvr's for D are good but you'll need to give it a little time to get used to the differences. they work a little slower than what you're currently used to but overall the HR series is a good DVR. Involve yourself if you can in the CE program here at satguys. about your question on current line of D* hardware and how it handles the set-up, the reception, and the recording of OTA digital channels,it handles it very well. never had an issue with the tuners for the AM21. the ota tuners for E are a little bit better in the reception area but just a little bit.I find the ota tuners for D a little bit more sensitive but overall it does a great job. another difference is no scanning ability for ota channels. not a big issue but a feature I like with E's ota tuners. I don't know if the HR20's ota tuner has scanning capabilities.

uncrules

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 15, 2005
High Point, NC, USA
I would imagine you could get one for free. Just tell them that OTA is important to you, and you wont switch withough it. That SHOULD do it.

I spent 30 minutes explaining to a D* CSR the many reasons I want an AM21 for OTA (such as getting the local HD channels that D* doesn't give me and back up for when rain fade occurs) and they just flat out refused.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
I spent 30 minutes explaining to a D* CSR the many reasons I want OTA (such as getting the local HD channels that D* doesn't give me and back up for when rain fade occurs) and they just flat out refused.

It wont work everytime, no doubt. D* is like anyone else. CSR roulette is the norm:p

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
I spent 30 minutes explaining to a D* CSR the many reasons I want an AM21 for OTA (such as getting the local HD channels that D* doesn't give me and back up for when rain fade occurs) and they just flat out refused.

Were you switching, or upgrading? I imagine that would play into it

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Not switching. I've had D* since 1995. I was replacing the H20-600 in my bedroom with the HR22 and I wanted to continue to have OTA in my bedroom.

I thought you already had them, still no excuse, but I imagine that a person switching would have more leverage. Just my guess

vampz26

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 20, 2006
Chicago

Edit: this is not a troll attempt is it?????:) Kidding

No...actually for once I'm using this forum for its intended purpose...information from knowledgable sources... ;)

uncrules

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 15, 2005
High Point, NC, USA
I thought you already had them, still no excuse, but I imagine that a person switching would have more leverage. Just my guess

The thing about it was that I wasn't trying to get it for free like some people have. I was willing to pay the regular $50 but they were pig headed. Also the thing that really bugs me about this is that the day after I got my HR22, the AM21 was available to me from D*'s website but I didn't get it at that time. I thought to myself I'll come back later to get it since I didn't want to mess with it at that time. But when I tried D*'s website about a week later, the AM21 no longer was available to me online. That's when I called the CSR and argued with them until I was blue in face but it did no good. They said that since D* offered me HD locals (just the big 4 however) they wouldn't sell it to me.

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
Here's my post that DodgerKing was referring to for a video of my HR20-700 in action.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1638355-post92.html

As far as the H20-600 goes, I had one for about 2 years without any trouble, no overheating or otherwise. Now I may not have had the same over heating trouble others did because my H20-600 wasn't in a cabinet. It was in open space where it had plenty of room for the heat to dissipate. But I'm not going to say the boxes were perfect just because I didn't have trouble because I did read about a lot of problems that people did have.

Anyway the H20-600 had the best OTA tuner in any of the D* boxes I've ever had. Which also may have led to the over heating because it had an OTA tuner chip that none of the other D* boxes had. I've heard that the OTA tuner in the H20-100 isn't as good as the one in the H20-600.
MY H 20 was fine except for the suprised reboots , but it wasn't that often. I downloaded a CE that finished it off. So I paid $85 for a reman unit that was a little better, Untill the Satellite in failed and the New HD wouldn't come in . So then it got replaced by Vip 211:)

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
Not switching. I've had D* since 1995. I was replacing the H20-600 in my bedroom with the HR22 and I wanted to continue to have OTA in my bedroom.
One of the Reasons I currently have NO D* HD equipment. Was a customer for Years and other are bragging about getting all these Free HD DVRs and I couldn't even get an upgrade for $99 let alone free. So I left and they called everyother day untill I accepted an offer. But nothing worth Upgrading back fulltime.

jtwex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 25, 2008
Embarrassed Bear
I always figured my HR21 had plenty of storage until I added a few HD season passes & the next thing I knew my favorite saved shows were getting erased with 0% left of space. I will probably be getting another advanced receiver as I'm not too excited about adding an external HD to a new machine. I guess It's important to protect your favorite saved movies.

uncrules

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 15, 2005
High Point, NC, USA
I always figured my HR21 had plenty of storage until I added a few HD season passes & the next thing I knew my favorite saved shows were getting erased with 0% left of space. I will probably be getting another advanced receiver as I'm not too excited about adding an external HD to a new machine. I guess It's important to protect your favorite saved movies.

Get an HR22. It has twice as much recording space when compared to the HR21.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
As far as picking up major locals, my hr20 worked just fine. Ss is a little lower than the tv but it worked fine. I have a big antenna and am about forty miles away from the tower.

tds4182

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 7, 2003
Kingwood,Texas
I wouldn't doubt it those things got really HOT. But they had massive reboots. My guess caused by heat maybe. I've never been lucky enough to get a 100 series. except a D10-100:) That worked good.

Not all the H20-600s have the overheating problem. I've had one for 2+ years now and it's cool enough to rest your hand on it all day.

The OTA reception is good also.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts