How are these signal readings? 119/110/129

Blastfurnace

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Eastern Ohio
Hello again,

I recently did a self install of a 1000.2 for a 722K. I was going to tweak my dish for signal but I was asked by some very nice people here to supply specific signal readings so they could tell me what to expect.

I live in the 43932 zip code but am actually closer to the 43944 zip code. (I know that doesn't make sense but trust me it's true)

Lat 40.492
Lon -80.783

Sat 110
Transponders 14,15,16,21
Signal Strength 77,75,78,75

Sat 119
Transponders 14,15,16,21
Signal Strength 77,79,83,77

Sat 129
Transponders 17,18,25,29
Signal Strength 59,61,57,61

So how does that look?

Thanks

Mark

Those are GREAT signals. To answer a prior poster, yes Ohio (Cleveland)is an EA market...but you can "get by" using the 129.

Upon further noticing, the OP lives in the Youngstown market (looks like Columbiana county) so the 1K.2 is just fine

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I had originally thought my 129 was to low but then some nice guy here told me to check those specific Transponders.

I must have been looking at different transponders because these reading were much higher.

I didn't know that there were satellite specific transponders to check.

This means that I am done with the install phase and now am moving on to the potato phase.

Want to thank you all for the help!!

Mark

Those signals are great... they are going to be lower on 129 as you are comparing 8PSK signals to QPSK signals. Look at 20 or 21 on 129 (can't remember) that's a QPSK signal that will shower higher quality/signal. The easiest way to explain it, 8PSK signals carry more bandwidth, less room for error, so the quality/signal meter shows them as lower.

Those signals are great... they are going to be lower on 129 as you are comparing 8PSK signals to QPSK signals. Look at 20 or 21 on 129 (can't remember) that's a QPSK signal that will shower higher quality/signal. The easiest way to explain it, 8PSK signals carry more bandwidth, less room for error, so the quality/signal meter shows them as lower.

Does this mean they are actually weaker signals (8PSK) or do they just show up that way?

Also, TP 21 on 129 is definitely higher. Mine is 81 compared to mid to upper 60's on the other TPs.

Does this mean they are actually weaker signals (8PSK) or do they just show up that way?

Also, TP 21 on 129 is definitely higher. Mine is 81 compared to mid to upper 60's on the other TPs.

No the signal is not weaker. If you had a meter that actually measured the signal strength across the TP's you wouldn't see the difference.

To put in layman's terms, there's more bits packed into the same space on the 8PSK signal than the QPSK signal. So there's more room for error. They do use more error correction on the 8PSK signal though to compensate. The meter on the receiver is a strength/quality meter. The lower reading is just the higher bit error rate on that carrier.

For instance when Nimiq5 took over at 72.7, the signals were pretty high since it was all QPSK. They switched over to 8PSK to gain 25% bandwidth and the transponders dropped by about 10-15 points in the signal meter.

Signal on sat 61.5

I am in Southern NS. I am losing signal on a few HD channels like 385 MGM and Spike HD. Checking transponder 32 I currently have strength of 25. It drops down below the locked signal occasionally. I haven't been able to get this higher (on transponder 14 it is a strong 68).

Is there anything I can do to bring this signal in stronger? I am pointing at 61.5 with a Dish 500 size dish with single Dish Pro LNB (couldn't get 129). Any advice would be appreciated....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts