How are we going to get 150 HD by year end?

atlind01

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Atlanta
Charlie chat and the repeated commercials claims that dish will have 150 channels. But I don't see any movements are rumors on new upcoming channels.

Do you guys think that Charlie will bring back the Voom?

Today, I am on the HD only package and I don't have any complaints on what I am getting for $30, but if ever I have to switch to the new tier of HD subscription, I need to see more than what is being offered now.

I thought there was to be no more Voom talk.

To answer your question, no.

I pay over $100/month with no premiums and wonder how E* can sell you that HD pack for so little, when it's not that far from what I get and actually use.

150? Depends on what & how you count.

Many of the channels in the original list have not been rolled yet. After the move to all mpeg4 there should be lots of bandwidth available. Can not wait to get IFC in HD!

Creative counting is usually how its accomplished. Marketing and reality often go their separate ways. I think E* claims it has HD channels in the low 100s which means it needs to come up with 40 or so more by year-end. Fox News, Speed, Fx and the Viacom channels would account for maybe 10 additional HD channels if added. They count the alternate sports channels as HD even though one may not be able to view them. They also count all the PPV HDs as well. I guess they could just add a bunch more HD PPV to reach whatever numbers they want.

That's Easy... 40 or so more HD PPV (showing the same handful of movies) and/or HD Sports Alternate Channels.

Part of the puzzle may be the SATS that are either waiting to be launched (Ciel-2), or to be moved (Echo 8).

Then they'll add a buncha neighboring local HD channels that are significantly viewed. :)

I don't expect much more than a handfull of new national channels. But I would be excited about more of my locals. Sure I get them, but a number are still SD while they've now started HD broadcasting. I just can't get an OTA signal unfortunately.

That's Easy... 40 or so more HD PPV (showing the same handful of movies) and/or HD Sports Alternate Channels.

DING DING DING we got awinner!!

Dish counts those hardly ever on HD sports channels as national HD so why not the alt sports channels and pay per view movie channels etc etc

I think that the last I heard Charlie claimed 114 HD channels. When in reality there is about 63. So all he has to do is just say that they now have 150 and that makes it's so. God(Charlie) HAS SPOKEN!

Part of the puzzle may be the SATS that are either waiting to be launched (Ciel-2), or to be moved (Echo 8).

Logically, it seems that the EchoStar 8 move is delaying everything.

Note:

- EchoStar 2 was suppoed to already be at 77 West by now.

- There is now space at 110 West, but due to the launch of Eastern Arc, channels can no longer be added only there.

- According to a report on this site, Dish Network actually went in person to the FCC office to expedite the approval of the move.

So, I think that Dish Network is out of space on Eastern Arc, and is waiting for EchoStar 8 to reach 77 West.

A very interesting situation with regard to E-8. It's apparently sitting quietly at 108W, some 31 degrees away from 77W. If it takes 16 days to move that distance, and Dish has 17 days left in their 30 day window, movement should start tonight or tomorrow. If movement doesn't happen within that time span, maybe we should start speculating as to whether Dish hasn't changed its plans, and will wait on that move until Ciel-2 is up and running. It's probably a good deal more important for Dish to make sure no interruption of service will occur over half the country in the event of a satellite melt down than to pick up a few more HD channels in the eastern arc, especially if they've been unable to pick up a substantial Viacom package. Or maybe Charlie and Rupert are having some heart to heart consultation regarding Fox channels?:)

Assuming they stick with the same creative math that gets them to 113, all you need is 37 more.

I can think of 20-25 that already exist that they don't carry...that's not including Voom or RSNs. The rest of the premiums, Viacom, Fox, Rainbow, Outdoor Channel, that's more than 20 right there. And there's a ton more that have been "announced".

The actual number's not all that important, and now that they've already changed the rules on how to count, it's not that hard to get to their new goal. They've already lied once, they don't need to lie more. 37 is nothing...

having a strange problem

Agree to 24 more months and get 3 months of HBO STARZ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)