How bad is chapstick if ingested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
My wife woke up to find out daughter holding an empty tube of chapstick so we dont know if she ate any of it or not. There was one other time where she actualy ate a strawberry flavoured type of chapstick from what my wife has told me. This type was an old tube my wife has had for a few years that has a mild spf15 with a mint flavouring added to it. I know that as a kid that whenever we would go tricker treating we would enevitably get wax lips or wax teeth or the wax soda bottles and that stuff almost always got eaten to some degrea or another and I never got backed up but then again I was also a few years older than she is now.

I googled a half dozen variations of " my kid ate chapstick " and the closest thing that came up was " my baby ate some deoderant ", aside from her being a bit cranky all day there hasnt been any symptoms asociated with poisoning so I think that the tube must have been almost fully gone.

Yea , she'll be ok. My girls wanted the "Bratz" chapstick/lipgloss so I got it for them and the next thing I know I see them eating it!!!:D

Although I agree there should not be more than a child's tummy ache, it still would be wise and very settling to call your Poison Control number; 1-800-222-1222. Was it medicated, plain, etc?

Reactions: Foxbat
Although I agree there should not be more than a child's tummy ache, it still would be wise and very settling to call your Poison Control number; 1-800-222-1222. Was it medicated, plain, etc?

Couldn't agree with you more on this one. It will only take a minute or two to really make sure that everything is OK.

This is a great place for learning things but I am not sure this would be where I would go to get an opinion on my child's potential health concerns.

Considering that most of the regulars here are parents and the best people to get advice from about kids is those who have kids ( you know, the whole village thing ) I have no problems with asking about something like this but if it had been car wax well you bet I would have had her at the ER ready to pay another huge medical bill.

That just means you are a good parent.
If my daughter ate some chapstick I would not panic.
Now if she ate and swallowed a good amout of adult toothpaste I would be going straight to the ER. Read the warnings on it, and they are not shiting you, like some things are just to cover their ass.

That just means you are a good parent.
If my daughter ate some chapstick I would not panic.
Now if she ate and swallowed a good amout of adult toothpaste I would be going straight to the ER. Read the warnings on it, and they are not shiting you, like some things are just to cover their ass.

Or pennies... When they used to be copper, you could eat a bucket of them but now that they are 99% zinc, those things can eat a hole in your stomach.

Once, as a kid, I drank gasoline because my friends could all run faster than me (remember those "Put a tiger in your tank" commercials?) and after getting my stomach pumped out, I managed to survive another 50 or so years. (And it was leaded gasoline, too!)

I had a bunch of trips to the ER for stupid kid stuff that nowadays would have Child Protective Services paying a visit. Ah, the Pre-Nanny State days...

I am going to say the kid's next poop is probably going to be very smooth and easy and that's probably going to be the extent of any effects at all.

Nothing like reviving a 9 year old post about eating Chapstick! :confused:
I just laughed so hard I got tears in my eyes.
Just the way I read it, I guess it just hit my funny bone. :D

Reactions: DWS44
The curious side of me just has to ask what Foxbat was searching for when he found it?!? :D
I thought it was on the Home Page, I swear it! :imshocked
screen-shot-2016-05-18-at-8-49-11-pm-png.116838

(see?)

But, now that I think about it, it might have been one of the threads that showed up in the Robot Viewers thread... I didn't know there was such a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWS44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)