How can I get NASA channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gpat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
We lost NASA a few years ago when analog went.
Now that I have Ku can I get it back?
Ive noticed its on 119*W but it says its circular.
Ive heard that circular can be picked up with the new LNBF C-Ku
but Ive got a co rotor2 and traditional LNBs.Im sure having a 10 ft dish will help somewhat.
What tips do I need to do to tune it in?

NASA is on AMC6 & AMC7 C-Band digital. Otherwise just add a DBS LNB (old Dish Network or DIrecTv LNB's work best) and add that

Since you have a Cband dish, why not tune in NASA directly.
NASA is on AMC 6 at 4040 V 26665 and on AMC 7 at 4060 V 26665.

OK thanks
Ive seen references to modifications of scalar rings for C/Ku that have holes cut in them for adding additional LNBs beside the traditional Co rotor.

I really dont want to hack up my new scalar ring to experiment but wondering how well it works.
Im sure its not as good as mounting directly on center but since I have such a good signal with the 10 ft dish I could probably lose some and still be OK.

NASA the easy way

With the plethora of little 18" dishes littering the landscape (landfills too, I suppose),
I was going to suggest just getting one of them, aim it at 119º, and be done with the problem.
While there are a few more circular DBS signals unencrypted, if it's NASA you want, then NASA this will get.

As I said, I was going to mention the extra dish, but after seeing the suggestion to aim your big dish at a C-band bird, that sounded like the best answer. - :up

....just one more way to skin the cat.

I live about 35 miles from the launch site.
We would watch the liftoff via NASA channel,then run outside
to see it before it would get above our treeline,watch until it was out of sight,
then go back inside and watch the NASA channel again until coverage ended.
Landings are even neater to see in person.
Thanks for the tips on C band digital Ill go looking for them.

those were the days

When I was a kid, that's about how I saw the early launches.
My Dad worked at Cape Canaveral, and we didn't really think to much about going out in the back yard to watch 'em streak skyward.

And of course, Walter Cronkite covered the proceedings on TV.
Not like the fly-weight news anchors of today.

Has anyone tried this with success?

It basically shows that RHCP AND LHCP can be tuned in thru Skew.
and also that the additional LNBs for Ku can be added to scalar ring
but must be perpendicular to polar axis.
feedfvw.gif

Dualsyst.gif

Last edited:
I don't recall where I found these pictures, but I think there's a commercial product like this.
Looks like a stock DBS (circular) LNB with its plastic case removed.

Note that it would still require you to move your dish a few degrees to bring the circular LNB to bear on a bird.
How far, depends on the spacing.

And I still favor the stand-alone 18" dish... :)

Attachments

• DSSScalar_Ring2.jpg
    DSSScalar_Ring2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 210
  • LotImg1090.jpg
    LotImg1090.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 228
You can pick up some of the circular signals with a linear lnb, I don't know the math but you can get about half the freq range, try it and see if NASA is one of the ones that comes in. Vary your LO freq in your fta box and it will vary the channels you get. They won't be full power of course, but an interesting experiment.

The co rotor2 wideband will do it has a Teflon block kinda like the pic I posted.
I dont have the nerve to cut into my new scalar ring but if anyone has one for a co rotor or anything else that will work LMK Id like to get a cheap one and try it.
See my pics of the other unidentified LNB that Im trying to get to work for both polarity of Ku
Even at half power I can probably still beat the pizza pans.

If you can get NASA via C-Band, by all means do that. The Dish Network uplink is only one channel (I forget which of the four from the C-Band mux they retransmit), and it is somewhat heavily compressed. I recently had the pleasure of watching the NASA mux directly from AMC-6 while helping a friend with his C-Band dish, and it was awesome!

I just found this comment by PSB on a past forum thread

Maybe he can comment on how and what came together to do this.

Quote:
PSB
user_offline.gif

Supporting Founder

Its a linear LNB so I would say no, but of course I get NASA here on a Linear LNB.

(Forgot it does come with a dielectric plate for Circular C-Band signals, but still do not think it will work for circular KU signals)
Last edited by PSB : 05-10-2006 at 06:57 AM.

I just found this comment by PSB on a past forum thread

Maybe he can comment on how and what came together to do this.

Quote:
PSB
user_offline.gif

Supporting Founder

Its a linear LNB so I would say no, but of course I get NASA here on a Linear LNB.

(Forgot it does come with a dielectric plate for Circular C-Band signals, but still do not think it will work for circular KU signals)
Last edited by PSB : 05-10-2006 at 06:57 AM.

PSB has not been on the forums since: Last Activity: 12-17-2006 09:02 AM

Gpat what are you asking in this post?

Sometimes you can get the circular polarity stuff (weak) with a linear LNB. I could get NASA with a linear LNB a few times

The only channel I remember getting with a linear LNB but with low quality was GOL TV (and that's gone now) , I never managed to get NASA or any audio Radio.

I did for awhile get one channel from BEV , but that was long ago and it worked better during cold winter months.

I would definitely pick up a used DN to try to get these VS. modifying a LNB.

lucky...I cant lock it on AMC7 and AMC6 there are trees in the way :(

heh, I have to laugh...tonite I do a blind scan on AMC8 (for the V side...I scan AMC7 for H) and what pops into the blind scan tonite?

4060 V 26664

hmmm....scan it (30 max quality...mainly 16-20)
HQ1
HQ2
HQ3
HQ4

yep...NASA...HQ4 is black screen but the other 3 are there and holy crap the picture quality blows Dish Compression Network out of the water :eek:

So I FINALLY get to see NASA on AMC7 ;)

If you can get NASA via C-Band, by all means do that. The Dish Network uplink is only one channel (I forget which of the four from the C-Band mux they retransmit), and it is somewhat heavily compressed. I recently had the pleasure of watching the NASA mux directly from AMC-6 while helping a friend with his C-Band dish, and it was awesome!

Dish uses the public channel. I don't have C-band (nor Dish) but I can live with the 18" Dish on my house to get NASA from 119. That's how I get it. I never use the media channel unless they are pre-empting live mission coverage on the public channel (very rare).

Certainly not as good as C-band but looks better than the internet stream.

I've heard it's in HD now on C-band though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts