how can I get the hr20 to display sub channels and out of market ota hd?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diat150

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 9, 2006
Louisiana
I go into antenna setup and all it does is give me the option to edit, reset, or initial setup, it doesnt give me the option to scan for locals like the h20 did. any ideas or is this not possible?

My HR20-100 does it. Go to Setup, Sat/Ant, and chose Antenna. I think it then asks for up to 2 zipcodes and does the search.

yeah I can do all of that, but I have a channel outside of my primary and secondary markets, and also a subchannel on one of my primary channels that I cant catch. I had the option to scan for channels on the h20 but I dont see that option on the hr20.

When you go through the initial setup, it will "scan" for channels, but I think it's actually scanning D*'s database. I don't think it actually looks at the input from your antenna to see what you're really getting - it goes off of the channel list D* thinks is available in your area.

so basically I wont be able to get my subchannel that isnt showing up? and I will have to keep changing between the secondary markets to receive the channels? that is BS. the h20 can do it and my dish 622 and vip222 didnt have a problem doing it. why would directv screw up something so simple?

so basically I wont be able to get my subchannel that isnt showing up? and I will have to keep changing between the secondary markets to receive the channels? that is BS. the h20 can do it and my dish 622 and vip222 didnt have a problem doing it. why would directv screw up something so simple?

I believe there is a way to contact D* to have them update the database for that sub-channel, but I have no idea what the process is...

I've not had an H20, so I don't know for sure, but it seems like they would use the same database as the HR20.... are you sure you entered the same zip code on both?

Maybe they are different in how they work and/or I'm missing something on the HR20 - I guess I need someone else's help here...

I believe there is a way to contact D* to have them update the database for that sub-channel, but I have no idea what the process is...

I've not had an H20, so I don't know for sure, but it seems like they would use the same database as the HR20.... are you sure you entered the same zip code on both?

Maybe they are different in how they work and/or I'm missing something on the HR20 - I guess I need someone else's help here...
they are definitely different. the h20 will allow you to scan for the channels, and they show up, but dont have guide data which is fine. the hr20 only goes by what is in the directv database, and will only allow you to view channels in the primary or secindary market. its screwed up.

I put in my local zip code for primary, then the zip code of the secondary city, and it did it's thing for awhile and it grabbed them, and both markets showed up in the guide. A couple of secondary market channels were to weak and I removed, but some are just fine.

I put in my local zip code for primary, then the zip code of the secondary city, and it did it's thing for awhile and it grabbed them, and both markets showed up in the guide. A couple of secondary market channels were to weak and I removed, but some are just fine.

the issue is that I cant receive some of the channels in my primary market because they are not in the database. On top of that I am surrounded by 3 different markets but can only receive channels from 2 at a time. Ive contacted directv about this limitation and hopefully they will get it worked out. I dont see why they cant have evey channel with 75 miles of a zipcode in the datatbase and you just take out the ones you dont receive..... or allow the hr20 to scan for channels like the hr10-250 and the h20 can.

Thats one of the reasons I liked my Tivo(HR10-250) better than the HR20-700.

its pretty retarded the way they set it up. like I said, they should just add every channel within 75 miles to their database for each zipcode and be done with it. the bad thing is as subchannels and new channels pop up, they have to edit them in. that is why it is pretty stupid for them to not include a scan feature like what is on the h20. they really overthought that one. I emailed the chase carey email address and spoke with someone from the executive office and they are supposed to see about it.

its pretty retarded the way they set it up. like I said, they should just add every channel within 75 miles to their database for each zipcode and be done with it. the bad thing is as subchannels and new channels pop up, they have to edit them in. that is why it is pretty stupid for them to not include a scan feature like what is on the h20. they really overthought that one. I emailed the chase carey email address and spoke with someone from the executive office and they are supposed to see about it.

I agree that they should widen their "range" for OTA channels (although I have a ton of them in my box that I could never dream of actually getting a signal on), but I'm thinking the reason it is the way it is is so that they can provide guide data on those channels, which also enables the recording function of the DVR.

Since I rarely watch live TV, other than sporting events, it wouldn't do me much good to have channels with no guide data...

I agree that they should widen their "range" for OTA channels (although I have a ton of them in my box that I could never dream of actually getting a signal on), but I'm thinking the reason it is the way it is is so that they can provide guide data on those channels, which also enables the recording function of the DVR.

Since I rarely watch live TV, other than sporting events, it wouldn't do me much good to have channels with no guide data...

im cool with channels with no data, but it shouldnt have to be like that since all of these channels have data if I put them as a secondary market. the hangup is that they only allow you to select 2 markets when i receive 3. its not like directv doesnt know that these channels exist, they just need to broaden the markets, at least in my area. im not by the hd dvr right now as I am away from home but does it not have a timer based recording function? I know that the dish 622 and the hr10-250 did. its nice having backup channels in case my locals go out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts