How can I have a Joey more than 200ft from the hopper?

Joey123

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Hi
Hello,

I'm trying to run my Joey about 250 to 300ft from the hopper using coaxial. Do I need an amplifier? The Joey will currently show a picture for about a minute then display an error message. Thanks for the help.

Probably won't work on coax. You might be able to get that far running it on ethernet, but that's not officially supported by Dish.

Reactions: TheKrell
Is this going to another building that it's that far away? If so then maybe you can relocate the dish antenna in between the buildings to cut the distance down.

It seems like it's so close because it shows the channels and a pictures for about a minute then stops. Should I try an amp? If so, which one? Thanks for the help.

Yes it is another building. Moving the dish didn't think of that. Good idea. That would work but would require the most amount of work so that's last resort but nice to know that option is there. I have already run the rg9 coax and I do have a cat5 wire and router there connected to the internet/wifi there but would prefer not to have to deal with internet protocol nightmares. Its probably closer to 200 to 250ft from the hopper. It seems so close to working.... Thanks

Actually I'm not sure moving the satelite dish will work because that won't change the distance because the hopper and this Joey. Is it the distance between the dish and the Joey? or the distance between the hopper and the Joey that is most likely the problem? Thanks

Actually I'm not sure moving the satelite dish will work because that won't change the distance because the hopper and this Joey. Is it the distance between the dish and the Joey? or the distance between the hopper and the Joey that is most likely the problem?

I agree with your assessment. The location of the dish has little bearing on your Joey issue; it's all due to the length of coax between Hopper and Joey. I am dubious of an amp helping either, since most amps work only on broadcast frequencies, and the Hopper/Joey moca signal overlaps but it's somewhat out of that band too.

If your Hopper is on the same network as the 'wi-fi' in the remote building then just plug the Joey into that router in the remote building. Done.

I think this is the most promising approach, assuming you have a switch and not a router out there. If memory serves, you should be able to go 300' with cat5.

I think this is the most promising approach, assuming you have a switch and not a router out there. If memory serves, you should be able to go 300' with cat5.

I was picturing a router in switch mode because he said wi-fi. Thanks for clarifying. :)

That would be great if the cat5 worked that easily but to get wifi in the remote building I have 3 routers daisy chained. The router in the building receives it's internet from a router in the middle of the house, and the wireless router in the middle of the house gets internet from the main modem in the garage where the hopper is located. Will plugging the Joey into the router in the remote building work? Or no because is on different network? Thank you

That would be great if the cat5 worked that easily but to get wifi in the remote building I have 3 routers daisy chained. The router in the building receives it's internet from a router in the middle of the house, and the wireless router in the middle of the house gets internet from the main modem in the garage where the hopper is located. Will plugging the Joey into the router in the remote building work? Or no because is on different network? Thank you

Same network means same DHCP server for IP addresses. Are all the devices using the same subnet IP address for example 192.168.1.xxx

I agree with your assessment. The location of the dish has little bearing on your Joey issue; it's all due to the length of coax between Hopper and Joey. I am dubious of an amp helping either, since most amps work only on broadcast frequencies, and the Hopper/Joey moca signal overlaps but it's somewhat out of that band too.

Moving the hopper would solve the problem but a pain. Thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts