How can I set this up?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

abaway

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2009
South Florida
I've attached a diagram of what I need to do. I've never done such a large install and not sure what I need or if it's even possible without running new wires.

Currently there is a slimline dish mounted on a pole in the back yard. There are 2 lines going to house 1 where there is a HDDVR receiver. In house 2 there is a standard receiver on one line from dish. There is also a line connecting the two houses.
Property was sold and new owner wants two receivers in house 1 and three in house 2, with the option of a fourth and fifth in house 2.
I know SWM is the way to go but not sure how I can set it up. dtv.jpg
pencil.png

Yes,

Aside from who is using this rig........and that is important.....Are these houses independent addresses with separate electrical systems? For electrical code reasons this is important to consider.

Need more info.

Joe

SWim dish, two way splitter, one line to house one, one line to house two. (Sounds like it's two houses on one piece of property). Another splitter at house one, splitting again, twice, one line to DVR, one to HD receiver. (3 tuners total). House two, another splitter, one line to each receiver. (3 tuners now, +2, 5 tuners total) So that will max out the SWiM LNB with 8 tuners. If you need to go above that in the future you would need to go back to a standard slimline LNB, run four lines from the LNB to a SWiM 16 or 32 multiswitch. Then reinstall the single lines to each house. You could put additional splitters on at each house as necessary.

Joe does have a point about the electrical systems. If they are not on the same drop from the street, you could have some ground issues. Not likely but possible. I would not worry about it, just put the power inserter for the SWiM on the same house as the bond you ground your system to. If you run into ground hum or signal issues, you will need to add some ground rods along the run to the second house. Should solve the problem. You could also put a dish on each house and solve the problem completely.

By the way, unless you install a band stop filter at the entrance leg to each house, if you have MRV (whole house DVR service) both residences will be able to share recorded programs.

First off house one will not work if setup like graphic shows. At least 3 lines are needed for 3 tuners (dvr2,other box1) KAKU IRD. Only way to use just one dish (besides SWM) is to run 6x8 with 4 lines coming from ODU to switch and 3 lines available for house 1 and 5 for house 2. Is this for a camp or rental property?

I have to ask first, this is two seperate houses with two seperate families?
Technically, they're not separated, they are connected with a covered walkway at floor level. House one is main house with one bedroom, house two is three bedrooms on main level, with tv room in basement area.

Yes,

Aside from who is using this rig........and that is important.....Are these houses independent addresses with separate electrical systems? For electrical code reasons this is important to consider.

Need more info.

Joe
Same address. I'm not sure about the electrical system. Will have to find out.

gotcha, I didnt know if there was a limtation on getting two dishes since both accounts will be seperated...is there something in the property that is stopping that?

gotcha, I didnt know if there was a limtation on getting two dishes since both accounts will be seperated...is there something in the property that is stopping that?
The owner would prefer to only have one dish. That's why I'm trying to figure out if it can be done with the one there now.

SWim dish, two way splitter, one line to house one, one line to house two. (Sounds like it's two houses on one piece of property). Another splitter at house one, splitting again, twice, one line to DVR, one to HD receiver. (3 tuners total). House two, another splitter, one line to each receiver. (3 tuners now, +2, 5 tuners total) So that will max out the SWiM LNB with 8 tuners. If you need to go above that in the future you would need to go back to a standard slimline LNB, run four lines from the LNB to a SWiM 16 or 32 multiswitch. Then reinstall the single lines to each house. You could put additional splitters on at each house as necessary.

Joe does have a point about the electrical systems. If they are not on the same drop from the street, you could have some ground issues. Not likely but possible. I would not worry about it, just put the power inserter for the SWiM on the same house as the bond you ground your system to. If you run into ground hum or signal issues, you will need to add some ground rods along the run to the second house. Should solve the problem. You could also put a dish on each house and solve the problem completely.

By the way, unless you install a band stop filter at the entrance leg to each house, if you have MRV (whole house DVR service) both residences will be able to share recorded programs.
I don't have alot of experience with the SWM setup. Only 2 and 3 tuner setups.

What type of splitter should be used at the dish?
If I put a power inserter in house one, will that power the whole system or will there need to be one in house two? If none in house two, will I use a swm splitter without power inserter or other splitter.

I don't have alot of experience with the SWM setup. Only 2 and 3 tuner setups.

What type of splitter should be used at the dish?
If I put a power inserter in house one, will that power the whole system or will there need to be one in house two? If none in house two, will I use a swm splitter without power inserter or other splitter.

All you need at the dish is a two way splitter, one of these will do:

SPLIT2MRV_medlrg.jpg

Notice one side of the splitter is DC passing. Make sure that side goes to the house with the power inserter. The power inserter powers the LNB on the dish, so yes it will power the whole system. Make sure all your splitters are green labeled in case you want MRV. SWim is easy, plus it has the added benefit of a single line to every receiver including DVR's. Make sure all the receivers are SWim compatible.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)