how can I tell if my receiver is OK

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kara_chi

Original poster
Sep 11, 2004
I tried to setup my equipment after moving to a new location. I have pointed my 30" ku band antenna to T5 using the +18V output of my receiver and a satellite finding meter.The meter shows peaking at what I think is the right settings for my location (Houston,TX: 179 azimuth ( 4 deg magnetic compensation), 55.8 elev). The signal level indicator in my receiver however, does not change whether the antenna wire is hooked up or not. It stays at 21%. My receiver is NATVISION 2100A and the LNBF is a standard one. I have not used the powered satellite finder method before. Is my receiver dead or is it the LNBF?

Usually if it was working before it will work now, the signal finders are not much use for Ku band satellites, as the ku satellites are very weak and the DBS satellites are much stronger so everyone ends up peaking in the signal to a DBS satellite. Dump the signal finder and just use the TV screen, if you can see the screen from the dish great, or maybe you can drag a small tv out to where the dish is, remember you are looking for signal quality not strength

Is the RG6 cable supposed to be hooked up to the antenna IN point or the one which says IF IN and has voltage of 13V/18V on it. When the cable from the dish is not hooked up the signal strength shows 21%. When I hookup the cable to the antenna IN point the signal strength still shows 21%. When I connect to the 13V/18V point the signal strength goes down to 17%. I live in Houston and have my dsih pointing to 179 for AZ and 55.4 for elevation. I have mounted on a tripod and have used bubble plumb to set the pole.
Any advise would be appreciated.
thanks

On my receiver the dish goes into "LNB IN"
I don't think its antenna in on this receiver thats where you would put an OTA antenna.

most receivers have an ant in and a rf out right next to each other. That wouldbe for an OTA antenna.

Both of mine say "sat in" for the satellite input

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts