How can I tell what is really in HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mr_snerdly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 17, 2005
I have a question for everyone. When I first got Voom (November 2004), the HD channels such as ESPN HD and Starz HD were always broadcasting an HD signal. I am assuming this because at the bottom of the screen where it has the name of the program and the channel I noticed the "HD" symbol. As of this year it seems mainly only Sports Center has the "HD" symbol attached. This is the same for Starz HD, only 1 in 5 moives have the "HD" logo. I was always led to believe that this symbol tells you if the program you are watching is in HD....but why would ESPN HD only broadcast less than half of the programming in HD? I have also noticed that the programs without the
HD" logo don't appear in the All HD menu.
I called a CRS at Voom and she said all of the HD Channels are in HD 100% of the time. So my question to everyone is this: Are all of the HD channels always showing HD programming, even if the "HD" logo is not present, or am I correct in thinking not all of the programs are not in HD. Why in the world would ESPN HD and other channels not broadcast in HD 24 hours a day? That is, after all, the reason why we have switched to Voom. And if they are all HD 24 hours a day, why does the logo only appear half of the time? The Voom original channels always have the "HD" logo, it is just a handful of the other HD channels that don't.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

ESPN HD broadcasts in HD full-time, but doesn't broadcast HD content all the time. Only Sportscenter, NFL stuff, Tilt, and some -- disappointingly few -- live games are in HD. Everything else is upconverted to HD and shown with the "HD" bars along the sides of the screen.

Starz seems to show more SD than some of the other HD movie channels. The non-HD movies I've seen there, though, seem to be clean 16:9 480p copies that could be mistaken for HD anyway. Film seems to be more forgiving than video. Sure better than Encore, which shows 4:3 on its HD channel...

Usually the little "HD" logo in the guide is accurate... Although, for example, the (over-long) Super Bowl pregame showed no logo, but was in HD.

Usually on the movie channels you can tell if a movie is in HD when it displays as 16x9 or letterbox mode. When the movie displays as 4x3 with black bars on the side it is usually just upconverted SD, the main exception to this rule is ESPNHD which will show sports center this way, and TNTHD which does alot of poor quality SD upconverts in 16x9 mode (those multimillionaire movie stars must love when TNTHD makes them look like they gained 50 pounds, LOL!!!).

Voom Newbie

I was watching the BasketBall game last night and i saw HD in each side of my screen so your saying there not truly broadcasting in HD. :D

richard_rd said:
When the movie displays as 4x3 with black bars on the side it is usually just upconverted SD...

Not completely true. Just because it does not complete the 16x9 screen or OAR of 1:85:1, it does not mean that it is not HD. There are a lot of movies whose OAR is neither 1:85:1 (16x9) or 2:35:1 (letterbox). Other aspect ratios such as:

1:33:1
1:37:1
1:66:1
1:75:1

also are HD. There are plenty of examples of these in the HD cinema channels. Such is the case of "Places in the Heart" playing today on HD Cinema. There are a lot of old stuff or TV shows that were filmed in 35mm film but whose Original Aspect Ratio (OAR) may fall under those. When the HD transfer occurs, the owner may keep the OAR or may cropped the picture by making it 16x9. This was quite evident on anything that was 1:33:1 on VOOM before 1/1/05. Since 1/1/05 and in a few instances in the later part of November 2004 and December 2004, they decided to ask the originators of the HD transfers for OAR HD transfers.

Why is OAR the perfect way to watch? because cropping chops the picture and your cinematic experience is gone. You are not watching the entire movie as it was meant to be, even it is 1:33:1 (4x3). It is always better to watch the movie in its OAR. Even if it's 1:33:1 or 1:66:1.

In the case of HD sports or sports shows in 4x3, everything in ESPN HD that is 4x3 is upconvert. HD video (live basketball games) by nature is 16x9 (1:85:1). So it is LIVE and it is not 16x9 then it may not be HD.

Again there is a difference between 35mm film with OAR other than 16x9 and HD Video 16x9. Anything shot with HD Video Cameras is expected to be 16x9.

Good point Sean. I think my statement still holds true for most modern movies, 1970's and later, but you are correct, alot of the old clasic movies may have black side bars and still be HD transfers!!

SonicRob said:
I was watching the BasketBall game last night and i saw HD in each side of my screen so your saying there not truly broadcasting in HD. :D
Exactly. In an odd irony, ESPN HD only puts the "HD" bars on the sides of the screen when the source program is SD! So, when you see the "HD" bars, you know the source is SD? :confused: but true

Thanks

I learned something today thanks for the help now lets Email ESPN about these and maybe we could truly watch a HD game. :D

Plywodstatebum said:
If you can't tell if its HD or not you need a better HDTV..... And the pay channels eg (HBOhd . Starzhd) are not all HD The screen size changes on my TV when its not HD movie on a HD channel

My questions were answered. I was mainly wondering why ESP would be touting an HD channel if only 1/5 of the programming was HD. I just wanted to make sure nothing was up with my Voom reciever. I can tell the difference between HD and other formats. I have a brand new Sony Wega XBR. Thanks again for the help everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)