How can I use a BUD with DISH service?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

afterdark

Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
US
I'm a complete newbie in regards to BUDs. I am hoping to to acquire a used 8' or 10' BUD for next to nothing soon just to tinker with.

I would like to use a BUD together with DISH programming (frowned upon, I know). Is this possible? What equipment/hardware would I need in order to do that? It is my understanding that two LNBs would be required because DISH uses multiple satellites at the same time.

I would think you would have to be a proficient design engineer to calculate the necessary parameters and design your hardware to perform as you want.

So in other words, I would need three BUDs to achieve this?
No you could mount the LNB at 3 different points near the center focal point so you are using only a portion of the dish's reflective surface for each satellite. Your BUD also needs a surface to reflect Ku band signals, a solid dish is better than an expanded mesh.

You might be able to get it to work with a lot of tinkering, but it would be far better to get a dish designed for the job than try to adapt this one with 3 LNBs. In theory if you had the LNBs in an arc you could pick up all three dish locations at which ever arc you decide to point it at. You might see a similar setup at your local cable company head in where they have a large dish with a bunch of LNBs in an arc on it.

Why stop with BUDs? Why not three of these?

9xD5zyl.jpg9xD5zyl.jpg9xD5zyl.jpg

Or make your house look like an uplink center :-

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/254192-Went-to-the-Uplink-Center-Today

I would like to use a BUD together with DISH programming (frowned upon, I know). Is this possible? What equipment/hardware would I need in order to do that? It is my understanding that two LNBs would be required because DISH uses multiple satellites at the same time.

unless the dish is going to be fixed at a satellite its not worth the trouble. Dish requires constant connection to the satellites for guide info etc. So if you're not aimed at the correct satellite the dish receiver will get real flakey
If the holes in the dish (if mesh) are bigger than a pencil forget it. you'd get better reception with the stock dish 1000.4 or 1000.2 depending on your location

It's a shame OP can't take that tour he really has no idea what he is trying to do.
Hey we all gotta start somewhere, right?

It's not that I have no idea what I'm trying to do. I mean I knew I needed multiple LNBs, so I must be on the right track.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)