How can one Mirror to another television

Status
Please reply by conversation.

markal05

Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
I remeber with comcast one was able to get a cable line put in so they could plug it in to the back of the television to get basic cable channels. I was told by direct tv that this could be done, only I would have to watch the same programming as the other television. I replied that this was fine, however when the installer cae to my home he quoted me a price of $50 to do this. I called D* back and was furious but she said it is an easy procedure and she doesn't know why he is charging for this service. Whew! My question know is, is this simple? Does anyone know how to do this. The installer said I could do it if I had the right equipment and know how and he wasn't giving up any info on how to do this. Can anyone help? D* said that this is common and there is no extra charge for doing this. :(

Yes, this can be done, however I would think that D* would frown in this idea because they would like to sell you another recceiver and make $ 5.00 p/m as well.

It kinda depends on what receiver you have.
If you have the H-10 (No Coax output) you need to purchase Audio/ Video cables (Yellow/Red/White- Composite) So there is a cost, I spent about $ 50. for 50 ft.

Plug one end into the composite output of H-10 and run cables to other TV and plug into composite input. Check to see what inputs and outputs you have available to use first. Coax is another option if your receiver has that option, but that would produce a lower quality picture.

You didn't mention how far your run would be.

I was able to find cables made in the 25' and 50' ft, I would imagine you may find them at a A/V store, but I doubt that CC or BB caries them.
Or use the sponsers of this site.

BTW. you would get the same channel on each TV, This is not considered mirroring, so there would not be a $ 5.00 p/m fee.

Jimbo

If the receiver doesn't have an RF output (you didn't say which receiver you have) you can accomplish the same thing with an RF modulator which you can buy for $20 or less.

If you don't know how a modulator works, you simply run the L/R audio outputs and composite video output from the satellite receiver to the RF modulator, then run coax to your remote TV location.

I do this with my Philips 7000 DTiVo (which does have RF out) to send the signal to my bedroom.....the picture is more than acceptable on the 20" TV that it's connected to.

Also, you could get a wireless remote extender which would allow you to control the receiver from the remote location.

VinPro,

I has considered the RF modulator option but when I sterted looking for them I found CC and BB had them for $100 and up, so I decided to go the route I mentioned earlier, Much cheaper and a overall better picture.
IMO

Jimbo

Thanks so much for all of the great info! I am going to try it tonight!

kel

Jimbos said:
VinPro,

I has considered the RF modulator option but when I sterted looking for them I found CC and BB had them for $100 and up, so I decided to go the route I mentioned earlier, Much cheaper and a overall better picture.
IMO

Jimbo
Well, $100 is certainly outrageous for a simple 1 channel RF modulator but as I mentioned, you can get them for under $20....I can't post links yet because I have less than 5 posts but they can easily be found at this price point.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this as an option for the OP.

4-way RF Modulator $25

1-way RF Modulator $20

The IRD should have a TV (RF out) that you can run via a satellite approved splitter (900 - 2150 MHz; not a CATV 5-1100MHz) to other TVs. I would just get the additional IRDs, the $5/mo is well worth the freedom of watching separate channels at once and you will have a MUCH better overall picture.

charper1,

I did mine with A/V cables because I could get them the day I had time to work on it, only took an hour or so to do....
I was also not worried about having different channels on because it is in the bedroom and I only use it till I fall asleep. (I live alone)

However, I would like to be able to get an original equipment remote for the H-10.

This way I can have 1 remote in each room (RF of course).

I am sure there are alot of option available, I have prevoiusly tried the wireless unit and have never had much luck with them, but they are probably better now, I used them quite a while ago.

I thought I would let markal05 know one option that I knew would work.
I personally think you get a better signal from solid cables vs. wireless.
Just my opinion.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts