How can this be?? Install Problem

octpro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 31, 2005
I took this (see below) from another messageboard dedicated to horror film fans. The topic is Monsters HD. Now... I'm trying to get more info from the poster, but as of right now I can't seem to understand what an attic has to do with the install?

My rather small and cramped attic is directly below TWO dishes and the DNS never even had to access that area. Everything was done on the roof!!! Someone shed some light on this for me becasue I hate to see lazy installers making up excuses not to do something. Trust me I was a victim of a similar practice last year.

Here's the quote...

"well, looks like i cant get dish after all...the only way they can install the dish is through my attic and the guy cant get through because it is "too small". My HOA sux ugh...cable for me"

Sounds like his HOA didn't allow the dish installation outside and they were gonna try to install the dish in the attic.

Most installers will not get inside attics and I don't blame them. I ran new cables to all the rooms at home and it's a pain in the a$$ and hot up there. When I had cable, the installer told me that Comcast doesn't allow installers to get inside attics.

Sounds like his HOA didn't allow the dish installation outside and they were gonna try to install the dish in the attic.

Most installers will not get inside attics and I don't blame them. I ran new cables to all the rooms at home and it's a pain in the a$$ and hot up there. When I had cable, the installer told me that Comcast doesn't allow installers to get inside attics.

Crap I didn't think about HOA. That makes sense now.

A dish even has a chance of working inside an attic? I learn something new every day...

It all depends on the angle and how much opening there is. I remember finding a picture on the Internets :) of a dish where there was an opening just enough to make it work.

To the OP, he could also meant that the cables had to go through the attic and the installer wasn't getting in there.

I'm pretty sure there is a law that says HOA's cant stop you from putting a dish on your roof.

Actually I think the HOA can prevent you from putting a dish on your roof if there is anywhere else that it can be put that will work correctly and not be visable. The law basically prevents an HOA from telling you that you cannot have a dish at all.. But it still allows them to dictate some areas of how it can be installed.

Here's the current update on this guys problem. I'll keep ya posted.

"well dish called me and is sending another installer out. The dish cannot be on the roof itself, but there are plenty of dish / direct tv in my area, they just put it as close to the roof as possible. I will let you know wednesday when i get it installed, i hope they can do it cuz time warner is horrible, and i want MONSTERS!"

I'm pretty sure there is a law that says HOA's cant stop you from putting a dish on your roof.

There absolutley is. Federal law says that that your local community commies (aka HOAs) have virtually no say in what you can do as far as dish installations go. Only minor cosmetic things like telling you you have to spray point your dish, or the like. They can't tell you you can't have it on your roof, if that's where the technician determines it will work the best. You can tell the neighborhood nazis to go pound sand you know where. :D

Actually I think the HOA can prevent you from putting a dish on your roof if there is anywhere else that it can be put that will work correctly and not be visable. The law basically prevents an HOA from telling you that you cannot have a dish at all.. But it still allows them to dictate some areas of how it can be installed.

No, it's broader than that. Much broader. If you're renting a house or apatment, there are more restrictions that the landlord can impose, but HOAs are at the bottom rung when it comes to how far they can infringe on your private property rights as relates to dish installations. I've had some HOA types come around and physically try to stop me from installing a dish where the property owner requested it be installed. I called the sheriff on my cell phone, and he came and told the HOA clowns to leave or he'd arrest them. He was nice enough to stick around for a good portion of the installation to make sure they didn't come back. :D

Crom customer comments it seems that we sat techs are the only ones besides strutured wiring and home theatre techs who will enter an atic. I have heard the same thing about Comcast techs not permitted by cpompany rule to enter an attic. Now a couple of friends who ironically I am installing a DTV system for, told me the Time Warner techs that came to their home refused to enter the attic. Same reason, company prohibits this.
I have no issue wuith attics as long as I can move freely about ,there is no clutter and the temperature is reasonable. Anything below 100 degrees is tolerable. Anything above that and it gets dangerous to be in the attic moe than a few minutes. And that makes it impossible to work. Cold attics are no problem at all.
I wil not move clutter and/or personal belongings. I ask the customer to do that to expedite the work and to eliminate any liabilty exposure to myself.

Here's the current update on this guys problem. I'll keep ya posted.

"well dish called me and is sending another installer out. The dish cannot be on the roof itself, but there are plenty of dish / direct tv in my area, they just put it as close to the roof as possible. I will let you know wednesday when i get it installed, i hope they can do it cuz time warner is horrible, and i want MONSTERS!"
do you own the home? Is it a house, condo or townhome?

No, it's broader than that. Much broader. If you're renting a house or apatment, there are more restrictions that the landlord can impose, but HOAs are at the bottom rung when it comes to how far they can infringe on your private property rights as relates to dish installations. I've had some HOA types come around and physically try to stop me from installing a dish where the property owner requested it be installed. I called the sheriff on my cell phone, and he came and told the HOA clowns to leave or he'd arrest them. He was nice enough to stick around for a good portion of the installation to make sure they didn't come back. :D
That's perfect. You called the cops and they ran off the HOA nazis..I love it.. I once had to threaten a nosey HOA jagoff a couple of years ago. I had to place a dish in front of a townhome for LOS. The owner was cool with it and I could have squeezed a LOS in back but I am not doing a job that wouldn't last a year due to tree growth. Integrity issue there..So I am working and this guy stops and starts yapping at me about the HOA and says he is on the board. I told him go to fcc.org and have a nice day. He got hostile and I told hm he had 5 seconds to leave or I was calling the cops. Well my customer was this huge guy. About 225 lbs of solid person. He heard the commotion and came outside and kind of smiled at the interloper and he got back in his car and left. Good move on his part..

That's perfect. You called the cops and they ran off the HOA nazis..I love it.. I once had to threaten a nosey HOA jagoff a couple of years ago. I had to place a dish in front of a townhome for LOS. The owner was cool with it and I could have squeezed a LOS in back but I am not doing a job that wouldn't last a year due to tree growth. Integrity issue there..So I am working and this guy stops and starts yapping at me about the HOA and says he is on the board. I told him go to fcc.org and have a nice day. He got hostile and I told hm he had 5 seconds to leave or I was calling the cops. Well my customer was this huge guy. About 225 lbs of solid person. He heard the commotion and came outside and kind of smiled at the interloper and he got back in his car and left. Good move on his part..

Fabulous! I love it! Unless you've seen some of my other posts on the subject, you have no idea the utter contempt I have for HOAs. They're parasites, and I refuse to ever again buy a home in a development that's infected with an HOA. I'm renting now, but when I buy again, it will be in an HOA free area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)