How closely does Charlie micro-manage Dish?

briani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2004
Lake Havasu City, AZ
I have to ask, it seems like a majority of people who post in this forum attribute every minute decision (Programming especially) to Dish CEO Charlie Ergen. The latest rants I've seen is by obsessed baseball fans angry at Charlie for not adding the new HD feed of TBS. Does anyone really know if he personally is involved in negotiations with Turner(Or whoever owns TBS-HD)regarding this channel being added to Dish? What do all the other executives at Echostar do? I suppose the "Director of programming" is just a powerless and pointless position. Charlie must be the hardest working person in america.

Who knows? But he does put himself out there as the face of the company with his Charlie Chats just like Eisner did over at Disney.

Heck, if you have a problem you don't go to retention, you email to the 'ceo.'

Charlie doesn't have to do everything himself. That's what management is for but I'm certain that the "director of programing" or whatever he's called gets his marching orders from Charlie like: "Don't worry how long it takes just make sure that you don't agree until you're certain that you have the absolute best price." or perhaps "Don't give the store away or anything but keep in mind we need to stay close to Direct or the savings you eventually end up with won't make up for the loss of subscribers."

As a matter of fact I do in fact bet that Charlie has to sign every contract for carriage so I'm sure the negotiating team tries very hard to know what will please him and what will piss him off.

Scott's had several conversations with Charlie and the impression I get over the last several years is that Charlie is a lot farther away from the day to day stuff than most think he is.

NightRyder

Scott's had several conversations with Charlie and the impression I get over the last several years is that Charlie is a lot farther away from the day to day stuff than most think he is.

NightRyder

That could explain a lot: A rudderless ship floating aimlessly through time.

Or more crudely put, the company motto becomes: "If Charlie don't give a s**t then why should I!" or maybe just "DILLIGAF"

I guess some people fail to grasp the complexities of a multi-billion dollar company with 20,000 employees, and so on. If I call to upgrade my programming, Charlie ain't gonna answer the phone..... If I need my dish re-aligned, Charlie ain't gonna show up in a Dish van.... He doesn't give employees their yearly reviews either....

He has multiple vice-presidents, many levels of management, supervisors, etc, etc, etc. They are the ones in charge of the day-to-day stuff. I've said it before, Charlie goes on his 'chat' show and gives *wrong* information all the time. He sat in on a presentation 9 months ago about 'something', saw the slide and the (projected) date, and vaguely remembers it. Then a customer calls in and asks about this same subject and he says "yeap, we'll have that available by ...... date" while the others cringe and shake their heads to get his attention. Oh, he missed the meetings afterwards where they discussed the hold-ups or problems they had in implementing that and it's been on hold all along.

And others fail to grasp the importance of the HD channel lineup. The guy in the Dish van doesn't wheel by Turner HQ with a VISA card and buy some channels or order satellites on ebay after work.

And I hardly think which and when to add HD channels falls under "day to day stuff"

When I refer to Charlie, I don't refer to just one person. I am talking about the entire crew of over thinkers.
Would you go along with concept of these guys being about a dozen in number and functioning like the President's cabinet( business AKA senior vice-presidents)? And with there being fairly regular cabinet meetings that the boss is invited to, whether he shows up or not?

Recent overheard conversation:

Subordinate: Millions of our customers want TBSHD to watch the baseball playoffs.

Guess Who: So do I. Would you get them on my DirectTV receiver for me please? Oh, and send some cake to the customers.

Would you go along with concept of these guys being about a dozen in number and functioning like the President's cabinet( business AKA senior vice-presidents)? And with there being fairly regular cabinet meetings that the boss is invited to, whether he shows up or not?

No, because if you want to get technical, E* has three Presidents. And Senior VP's too come to think of it. So it's really more like three presidential cabinets.

Even if those presidents have the best idea in the world and get it all nice and neat to pitch it to Charlie, I bet anything Charlie takes it, turns it around and re-hashes it in his own vision...

The TBS-HD thing is not a Dish v. Direct thing--all the major cable systems are getting it right, too.

Whatever happened to "the buck stops here" in this country?

It’s not about obsessed sports fan or junkies. It’s about our provider providing what many see as a basic service and either failing to grasp the importance of that channel for this time of year for many of its customers or they just don’t care. I echo the sentiment of many that some Zoom channels are not watched - the channel that shows video games in action? Really? Is that want anyone wants? My requests for acknowledgement (and they’re really polite for the most part) are met with the same cut and paste response. And, by the way, at my 46,000 employee company, our President will answer the phone. Then again, he doesn’t isolate himself from his customers.

It’s not about obsessed sports fan or junkies. It’s about our provider providing what many see as a basic service and either failing to grasp the importance of that channel for this time of year for many of its customers or they just don’t care.

I hardly think anyone can realistically term TBS-HD a basic service. Pro/Cons & ROI are considered in decisions like this. Generally, it is the customer that takes the hit, but I imagine DISH has some pretty specific market data showing hordes of new revenue ain't gonna show up just because they add TBS-HD.

Ted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts