How come there is no self install option for an HR20?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

VewDew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Northern California
I just called D* to see if I can get an HR20 so I can get my local FSN in HD and they said they could get me a "deal" for $199 but they would have to install it. I don't want to take off of work and I don't want people in my house anyway. I already have a 5 lnb slimline dish because I have an mpeg4 receiver upstairs. I just want the darn receiver shipped to me.

All I can suggest, is to play CSR roulette, or buy a HR20 from a seperate entity.

Good luck.

Yup. Buy it at BB or CC for $299 and see if you can get D* to credit you the difference. It sounds to me like the extra $100 is worth it to you if they don't.

Yup. Buy it at BB or CC for $299 and see if you can get D* to credit you the difference. It sounds to me like the extra $100 is worth it to you if they don't.

I think I will do it. I have a online place that will sell it to me for $299 without tax and with free shipping.

I think I will do it. I have a online place that will sell it to me for $299 without tax and with free shipping.

Value Electronics is my favorite, they are fast for shipping, great cust. serv. and of course no tax and free shipping. $299 and in all likelihood you can get some sort of credit from the CSR (or retention if the CSR is uncooperative)..

We got an HR20 sent directly to us in a box as a replacement for a failed HR10-250 under the D* Protection Plan. No charge, no install, no 5 LNB dish (we don't need the 5LNB yet, anyway-we get digital locals just fine on our antenna).

It took me about fifteen minutes total to unbox and 'self install' the thing because it just went in in place of the HR10. Customizing the programming and channels, and learning to work the thing took much longer, but the wiring, multiswitch, etc., were identical sans 5 LNBs and MPEG5.

Other than this method or a store purchase, I'm not sure they want you to 'self install.'

Definitely, if you are getting the 5 LNB dish or you are a D* install rookie, you WANT them to install it for you, I'm thinking.

The reason why that there is not Auto Detect option on the HR20, is because the function is normally used for people who receive there locals from 72 Sat or 95 Sat for International Programming. To receive programming from both the 72 and 95 Satellites you must have a separate round dish. The standard receivers such as D10, D11 & D12 use the Auto Detect or Auto Configuration to detect the signal from that Round dish, since those receiver do not allow the option that the HR20 receiver offers for you to select the 72 Sat or 95 Sat you have installed. That is why the function of Auto Configuration is not offered on the HR20. Also since for most people are getting the HR20 to get HD Locals or receive HD programming, DTV does not use 72 or 95 Satellites for HD programming.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts