How did my DVR time record the whole Super Bowl game?

md_paul

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Maryland
I'm not complaining, but am not sure how this happened. I set my 622 to record the Superbowl game by selecting the game in the guide. I didn't pad the timer on either side. The original game in the guide was from 6pm until 9PM (EST). However, my DVR kept on recording past 9PM and didn't stop until after the post-game show was over. After 9 when I noticed the DVR was still recording, I rechecked the program guide and there had been no changes. The guide entry for the Superbowl game was long gone and it was showing that I was recording the next show on the channel.

Again, I'm not complaining... Just wondering how the DVR did this? Any ideas?

- Paul

The standard (factory setting) padding for a Sports event on the DVR is 60 minutes.

Unfortunately, the post-game show killed any padding that would have saved House for my wife, so I'll have to go the torrent route to make her happy. :rolleyes:

The standard (factory setting) padding for a Sports event on the DVR is 60 minutes.

Unfortunately, the post-game show killed any padding that would have saved House for my wife, so I'll have to go the torrent route to make her happy. :rolleyes:

Luckily, I set the news after House to record so I could catch it.

Luckily, I set the news after House to record so I could catch it.
My wife tried the Fox on Demand on their website, but last nights episode wasn't there, so I told her I'd try to download it off torrent tonight, so she can see if before tomorrow's strike induced finale.

Mine is set to pad automatically for Sports events and got it all ( I'm watching the last 3 minutes now)...

Very cool.... Is this a configurable setting? (Padding based on event type) I'll have to go home this evening and look.

Thanks!

You got me, I had mine set to record House and it didn't start when expected since the Super Bowl took more time! So, I had half Super Bowl and lost half of House. LOL

At the risk of sounding stupid, what programs do you use to download tv shows and such off of torrent servers? I don't know much about this stuff anymore. I got out of the downloading game after Napster went down (used to take me 25 minutes to download an MP3 on dial-up kinda got irritating). My wife has limewire and she uses that once in a while to download a song here or there that she heard on the radio. Will I find television programs on there too?

I'm not complaining, but am not sure how this happened. I set my 622 to record the Superbowl game by selecting the game in the guide. I didn't pad the timer on either side. The original game in the guide was from 6pm until 9PM (EST). However, my DVR kept on recording past 9PM and didn't stop until after the post-game show was over. After 9 when I noticed the DVR was still recording, I rechecked the program guide and there had been no changes. The guide entry for the Superbowl game was long gone and it was showing that I was recording the next show on the channel.

Again, I'm not complaining... Just wondering how the DVR did this? Any ideas?

- Paul

My 722 did the same thing. I had it set not to do the extra hour thing. The post show after the game I set and also added an hour to it. The Super Bowl game kept recording past the end time. I think Charlie did something to make this happen.

I set mine to add an extra 90 minutes and set the show after to record as well to get the rest of House.

My 722 did the same thing. I had it set not to do the extra hour thing. The post show after the game I set and also added an hour to it. The Super Bowl game kept recording past the end time. I think Charlie did something to make this happen.
No such luck. It is a default thing set up based on the type of programming. I have one tuner at our house set to record the Red Wings. That type programming will record for 60 minutes after the scheduled time. Other shows (like House) will start 1 minute early and end 3 minutes late.

Geoff

No such luck. It is a default thing set up based on the type of programming. I have one tuner at our house set to record the Red Wings. That type programming will record for 60 minutes after the scheduled time. Other shows (like House) will start 1 minute early and end 3 minutes late.

Geoff

I had no extra minutes set in options for the Super Bowl. It was 0. But the Super Bowl game kept on recording.

I skipped recording the Superbowl in favor of something even more awe-inspiring. :) I was completely disappointed with the DVR functionality recording the MLE event on Spike at Halftime. I knew they'd be going to the event at halftime, no matter when that was, so I set the show before and after the MLE to record, and the MLE itself, and somehow, the DVR managed to NOT record the middle 15 minutes at all. I probably should have just set the padding to cover it, but figured if I recorded every program over the 2 hour block, it should have caught the whole show.

Oh well, at least Joey Chestnutt won his event. :)

derek, you use bittorrent.

BitTorrent
Yep, I used the Azerus client for bittorrent. Found the episode of House (not sure which website, just did a google search for "House torrent"), and put it onto an SD chip so my wife can watch it on the tv using the PS3. She'll probably watch it sometime today, so then she can watch the strike finale tonight.

The default can be changed per timer or as default. When setting a timer, go to options. In that screen you can change the padding. There's also a check box where you can make the new settings the default for that type of programming.

[Flashback: FBI Agents burst in just as Peter is about to tape]
FBI Agent: Do you have the expressed written consent of ABC Sports and the National Football League?
Peter Griffin: Just ABC.
[FBI Agents blow the VCR to bits]

Easy solution to see the House episode we all only recorded a part of...
Watch it or record it Friday Feb 15th. You should be able to access that date sometime after Wed Feb 6th.

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts