How Dish's 1080p is going to work...

Yep, I see Speed Racer here too. Too bad about the price though. I'm not going to rent it for that.

Here is a screenshot to add insult to injury...

Attachments

• 1080P_MOVIE.JPG
    1080P_MOVIE.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 288
Wow, 116mb of disk/minute. Astounding for 1080p.

And surprising what Mr. Smith can see. How did you do this, sir? R5000?

Or can you read the receiver's disk? If so, surely you can't read the on-disk data itself.

Yep, this month's special. $6.99. Good luck with that price. :rolleyes:
Either they (Dish) or we just don't get it.

The consensus has been pretty clear. I don't think I've seen a single person anywhere on this forum indicated they would probably continue to rent 1080p offerings when the price went up to $6.99. On the other hand I remember many posts of people adamantly disclosing that they would NOT.

That kind of makes the whole thing a bust, so why did Dish bother? Are they really that out of touch with marketing reality? Or do they know something we don't? Now admit it, don't ya just love to start the week with a good 'ol conspiracy theory?:D

Wow, 116mb of disk/minute. Astounding for 1080p.

And surprising what Mr. Smith can see. How did you do this, sir? R5000?

Or can you read the receiver's disk? If so, surely you can't read the on-disk data itself.
More tidbits for you my old friend ;) - last night VOD spool:
Code:
Name                   start date/time  duration 
The Forbidden Kingdom  2008/10/12 23:01 1:44:00 
Baby Mama              2008/10/13  3:27 1:39:00 
Sex and the City       2008/10/13  4:34 2:26:00 
Prom Night             2008/10/13  4:34 1:28:00 
Speed Racer            2008/10/13  4:34 2:15:00 
JFK: Conspiracy        2008/10/13  8:37 0:04:00

Want everything in 1080p?

I was just browsing this site doing some reading. I noticed a lot of people want to view all of their content in 1080p.

Check out the following link, I bought a pretty cheap video scaler from these guys, and I have loved it. maybe some of you guys would enjoy it as well.

It is made by some company made Atlona, I found their products on tigerdirect.com and then realized it is in CompUSA as well.
I cant post the link for some reason. but if you go to atlona.com and search for at-hd560 you will find it.

I was just browsing this site doing some reading. I noticed a lot of people want to view all of their content in 1080p.

Check out the following link, I bought a pretty cheap video scaler from these guys, and I have loved it. maybe some of you guys would enjoy it as well.

It is made by some company made Atlona, I found their products on tigerdirect.com and then realized it is in CompUSA as well.
I cant post the link for some reason. but if you go to atlona.com and search for at-hd560 you will find it.
Here you go:

Atlona*Pal*HDMI*to*NTSC*HDMI*Converter*1080p*::*PAL/NTSC*Converter*::*Audio*Video*Converters*::...

Finally regarding status of other 622 outputs while playing 1080p. The component video output is blocked but the S-Video and audio outputs are not, so I was able to record to my Panasonic E85 DVD recorder's HDD.

This is kinda old, but I didn't see anyone address this issue, so I will. The component outputs are NOT blocked, and in fact send 1080p just fine. At least on both my 622 and 722.

Now not many TV's will accept a 1080p signal via component, but the VIP receiver DOES output it.

My Pioneer Kuro Plasma accepts it, and will play it no problem via component. (As well as HDMI.) My Samsung LCD bedroom TV, which is actually a little newer will NOT accept it via component, it just puts up a message about "unsupported input format" or something.

On a related note, my 722 and 622 seem to download a very different set of VOD movies; my (new) 722 only downloads HD movies for VOD (9 HD movies after having it 3 weeks), nothing else, whereas my 622 usually downloads only SD movies, except for the solitary 1080p offering.

At the price Dish is now asking, I'll never watch one again.

Considering the new arrangements with Netflix, I wonder how they're going to justify their pricing for a single movie a month.

Edit: oops, that was TIVO, not Dish.

On a related note, my 722 and 622 seem to download a very different set of VOD movies; my (new) 722 only downloads HD movies for VOD (9 HD movies after having it 3 weeks), nothing else, whereas my 622 usually downloads only SD movies, except for the solitary 1080p offering.
At the price Dish is now asking, I'll never watch one again.
I wondered about why there seemed to be a difference about what gets downloaded on a 622 vs a 722 as reported here by the folks. Maybe not all. Your findings echo mine. One HD(1080P) and lots of SD's on my 622. As for $6.99...