How do Dish decide what ARC you're on.

andrewj0781

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
I was just wondering how does Dish decide which Arc you're on. I'm on the Western Arc (110/119/129) Since I'm on the east coast (Altoona, PA) why are we not on the Eastern Arc? The 129 is so low the Dish almost looks like it's point at the ground. Doesn't take much rain or snow to knock out the HD channels and a lot of time the SD work just fine.

If someone could find me more information on this or explain this better I'd appreciate it.

transponder space is another reason....but honestly a location like where you are **should** be on Eastern Arc

What I mean to ask was they did Dish put my locals on 129 instead of the Eastern Arc. That's what I'm trying to ask. What did Dish use to determine it would be better for my Local DMA to be on the Western Arc?

What I mean to ask was they did Dish put my locals on 129 instead of the Eastern Arc. That's what I'm trying to ask. What did Dish use to determine it would be better for my Local DMA to be on the Western Arc?

There is likely no current EA spot beam that covers your market or if there is one, it doesn't have transponder space. 129W (Ciel 2) was designed to cover lots of markets with its spot beam transponders and launched a couple years or so ago. Another EA satellite is being designed to cover more markets. The EA was cobbled together a few years ago using space junk (older spare sats) and sats purchased from others. There was one purchased spot beam sat at 61.5W. It was reoriented to cover the maximum number of markets. Those markets were designated as EA markets regardless of their geographical location. The new EA spot beam sat may result in more eastern markets actually being on the EA. The terms EA and WA designate the location of the satellites and not the geography of the TV markets.

A solution to this issue would be to go EA and have a wing dish pointed at 129. Though side effects would include loss of SD locals and loss of WKBS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)