How do I add a 5th receiver???

Stingray

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
How do I add a 5th (and 6th) receiver???

EDITED
Can I add a 921 to my present 721, 6000 and 508 setup?? I have a 500 dish for 110/119 and a 300 dish for 61.5 feeding a 64 switch. The 64 switch presently feeds the 721 (2 feeds) a 6000 and a 508. All LNB's are legacy twins.

When my 921 is received, I think I would like to add it if possible while keeping the 6000 going for a while (that counts as receivers 5 and 6). After I am confident in the 921, I will remove the 6000 from service. That would leave me with 5 receivers.

Is there a way to add 21 switch(es) or something to feed two of the receivers? I have two 21 switches set aside.

Since this may be only a temporary set up, I don't want to invest a lot more in switches or LNB's if I don't have to.

You may have guessed that i'm a little apprehensive about the stability of the 921 because I plan to record a lot of HD OTA. I'm counting on future software updates to stabilize timers, etc.

Stingray

You say you have Legacy Twins. You don't. You probably mean Legacy Duals. A dual is a single eye unit with 2 outputs. A Twin is a dual eye with 2 outputs, and will not drive a SW-64.

Actually, you want to add a 5th and 6th TUNER. Without additional switching gear you will lose both the 6000 and 508, OR the 721.

The SW-21's aren't gonna do you any good because they're not DC blocking, and even if they were, very little help here.

Long story short, any time you go over 4 tuners, it gets messy (until the DPP44 and Separator are available). You either add another SW-64, along with a bunch of other junk, or you convert everything to DishPro.

If you go DishPro, you need a Twin LNBF for the 500, and a Dual for the 300. These go into a pair of DP34's. OR, Quad 500, Dual 300, single DP34 and single DP21, with one of the Quad's outputs leftover.

Simon- - I have Two round LNB's an inch or so apart per dish, each with two outputs, 6 leads total to the 64 sw. If you say they are duals than OK, I got confused.

ALSO you jogged my memory - when I installed the 64 sw I remember there being a schematic showing how to cascade them using special satelite splitters with one side passing DC and the other blocking, etc. I probably have it printed out somewhere. You are right that it was pretty messy and probably expensive.

However - unless I stop using the 721, I will need to serve 5 tuners to satisfy my needs even without the 6000.

Do you think I can get Dish to give me a second 500 dish to serve one of the dual tuner receivers. I have no problem adding to my dish farm! I may not be needing the 61.5 sat for the 508 or 721, but may need it for the HD package for the 921. I have the 120 plus HBO/Cinemax and locals package now. Would a seperate dish 500 work for the 721 as I believe that all I get is from 110/119?

I have read here that they have sent switches, etc. to others when they expanded their systems.

The anticipation of getting the 921 is building!!!

Yup - you got it - Duals not Twins.

Yes, a 2nd SW-64 gets messy - a second Dish 500 is a much cleaner way to go in a lot of cases. Most people (wives?) don't want to go that route.

Call Dish - see what they say about an additional Dish 500 for self-install. They'll be surprised that you're willing to go that route. :) If you've been a "good" customer, you might get it on the first try. If not, ask to be transferred to 'retention', and if that doesn't work, just email ceo@dishnetwork.com - they're the good CSRs.

Don't forget to install a grounding block!

yeah, yeah that's it..

what they said...
Legacy systems (dual output LNB's, half of the LNB is forced to H the other half is forced to V, in general terms...ask simple simon.., uh, anyway..) http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/installation/install_diagrams/index.shtml
depending on where u locate the switches and other assorted things.. you will have 4 to 6 coaxial cables travelling somewhere, say your garage, the switches and assorted junk is located in one spot the cables then go reach out to the receivers, distances are an issue, possibly waaay more that DP. Best thing? Price it all out vs. how easy which system would be to install.. Utilizing the more up to date equipment removes all the extra thingies and the freakin wiring of it all..
info? http://echostar.swiki.net/1 upto date? ummmm... don't actually know how up to date that page is... if it helps great, if not... don't look at me, I found the link from this page http://www.satelliteguys.us :D

BK666. While you're right that the 2 LNB outputs are forced to different polarizations, DSS (e.g. E* 61.5, 110, 119, 148, 157 and D* 101, 110, 119) birds use circular polarization - usually stated as Left or Right while the FSS birds (105, 121) use the old Vertical or Horizontal method.

Simple Simon -
Thanks for the info - I will call Dish as soon as the 921 arrives to see if they will offer a solution - switch to dish pro or an additional dish500.

BK 666 - Thanks for the links to the cascading 64 installation, etc.

:) Stingray

Don't wait for it to arrive - remember, it will take some time for E* to ship stuff to you, and when that box arrives, you're gonna want to bring it online immediately. :)

Of course, you could take the 6000 & 508 offline until the new hardware arrives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts